• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,006 posts in this topic

It’s a tough call, bc. I love Reed Crandall and Jack Davis, but when I first saw Al Williamson’s work, I was exhilarated. I think it would have been Astonish 1, but I would have loitered there a good long while deciding!

Oh and a quick story about the cover: I showed this copy to a longtime friend and comic collector who for whatever reason, never purchased a copy of it, although in the 90s he had dozens of PHM books in his collection. He didn't recognize the cover artist's style (and didn't notice the signature) and couldn't place it. When I showed him the signature, he was pretty surprised and thought Heck did a fantastic job on it! It also put this issue on his want list because he REALLY enjoyed looking through it as well. I do remember commenting to him that this issue seems to have an inordinate amount of ads. He agreed.

This would be my second choice if an extra dime were to suddenly become "available." I don't own a copy of TTA #1. It's never been appealing enough to me to drop that amount of loot on it, but I plan to check out some raw copies to see if my mind can be changed about it. I'm sure there's good stuff on the inside, so here's hoping! Yeah, like I really need another expensive book on my want list! lol

Strange Worlds 1 6.0 ow-w front.jpg

8 hours ago, bc said:

Was thinking about this last night....

So if you were a kid back in the day with ONE dime to spend, which one of these 3 books would you buy? They were all on the newstand at the same time and represented new titles.

tta_1_cropped.jpg.c8a4d91855adfbdfaa6eea424f2787ad.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

I would probably have picked TOS1.

-bc

TTA for sure! 

30 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I’m not exactly sure why, but this is one of my favorite PHM covers (no sarcasm).

4E69F73E-E1E3-4EDE-A198-CC2E7ECA1545.jpeg

B31DB307-8D7C-4577-A18A-2D19E0849AE7.jpeg

It is one of my and my brother's too, but mostly for sentimental reasons. That is the first PHM he bought back in the 80s sometime that introduced us to this world.

2 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Was finally able to get my first shot yesterday (and feel like it today, so back to bed soon) so hopefully I'll see some of y'all at a show this year.

Glad to hear it!  Anyone else get their shots yet?  I'm in my mid-20s so I don't expect I will be getting it for some time.  But hopefully I will be able to attend some shows this year once that does happen.

7 hours ago, mysterio said:

Was finally able to get my first shot yesterday (and feel like it today, so back to bed soon) so hopefully I'll see some of y'all at a show this year.

I got my first shot two days ago.  Yea!!!  It was one of the Moderna ones so I’ll need a second one in 4 weeks.  Since I’m a college math teacher I was able to get an appointment for being in education.  It’s weird though: I was at a division meeting yesterday and my college is still worried about opening up campus for Fall and they have a weird model for risk assessment.

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

On 3/18/2021 at 9:18 AM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I got my first shot two days ago.  Yea!!!  It was one of the Moderna ones so I’ll need a second one in 4 weeks.  Since I’m a college math teacher I was able to get an appointment for being in education.  It’s weird though: I was at a division meeting yesterday and my college is still worried about opening up campus for Fall and they have a weird model for risk assessment.

Sounds like my university... The faculty are even more skittish than the administration.