• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

So someone help me out here. John Buscema does this cover, then nothing til Strange Tales 150? Can that be right?

That's what they say...

"Buscema spent approximately eight years in the commercial-art field, freelancing for the Chaite Agency[Note 1] and the studio Triad, doing a variety of assignments: layouts, storyboards, illustrations, paperback book covers, etc. in a variety of media. Buscema called this time "quite a learning period for me in my own development of techniques".[18]

He returned to comic books in 1966 as a regular freelance penciller for Marvel Comics, debuting over Jack Kirby layouts on the "Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." story in Strange Tales #150 (Nov. 1966), followed by three "Hulk" stories in Tales to Astonish #85-87 (Nov. 1966 - Jan. 1967).[13] He then settled in as regular penciller of The Avengers, which would become one of his signature series, with #41 (June 1967). Avengers #49-50, featuring Hercules and inked by Buscema, are two of his "best-looking [issues] of that period", said comics historian and one-time Marvel editor-in-chief Roy Thomas, who wrote those issues.[19] Thomas and Buscema introduced new versions of the Black Knight[20] and the Vision[21] during their collaboration on The Avengers."

-bc

12 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I saw a photo of this cool Venus ad on eBay yesterday and thought folks here might like it.  The only thing that would make have made it better was if she was fighting Gorgilla 

3C8EAEFD-4D37-4588-9C81-ADC478B1BE84.png

I can see a Fay Wray - King Kong connection there as well !

Having watched a lot of the monster movies in my time, there was always a damsel in distress aspect that the PHM genre never included. Maybe that would have required too much of an effort in developing an actual plot since many stories were only 5 pagers.

-bc