• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

I enjoy seeing the differences between the American Marvels and the Spanish publishers versions. It makes me wonder what caused them to make artistic changes. For example, RRO has those 2 large chunks of falling pavement in front of his bicep on the Mexican Publication, which were clearly additions, as was the full figure of the person hanging from the train in place of the officer shooting at RRO.  Likewise, the person in white hanging onto the car directly above RRO's head is a new addition. As frequently happens on the Mexican Publications, there is also extra artwork added to the right side of the cover. In this case, it isn't anything spectacular, but it DOES differ from our standard Marvel cover. Cool stuff!! 

Edited by Frisco Larson

10 minutes ago, bc said:

You have it backwards my friend :)

Check this out:

http://timely-atlas-comics.blogspot.com/2016/10/atlas-errata-cover-alterations-and.html

SPELLBOUND%2B%252324%2B%2528Oct55%2529.jpg  FANTASIAS%2Bde%2BCUMBRES%2Bde%2BTORTuRA%2B%252361.jpg

It happened pretty frequently:

Secrets%2Bof%2Bthe%2BUnknown%2B%2523175%2B%2528JIUW%2B%252353%2529.jpg

CUENTOS%2BDE%2BBRUJAS%2B%2523150.jpg   MYSTERY%2BTALES%2B%252325.jpg

So even though Mystery Tales 25 was pre-code, Burgos felt that the monster hands in the original were too scary for the audience? He even had to put a long sleeve shirt on the arms he drew (showing too much skin, I guess).

2 hours ago, bc said:

You have it backwards my friend :)

Check this out:

http://timely-atlas-comics.blogspot.com/2016/10/atlas-errata-cover-alterations-and.html

The foreign versions are really the actual covers as created by the artists. The Marvel covers are edited !!!!

"According to all accounts, Carl Burgos was the unofficial cover editor of the 1950's Atlas line. Several months ago (here) I showed how Burgos had a hand in tinkering with an inordinate amount of these covers, a process I termed "Burgosation". This often went beyond mere inking as many/most of these covers were already inked by their original artists before Carl Burgos stepped in."

"Now, by virtue of the easy online access to foreign reprints of Atlas comics, reprints (as I mentioned above) many of us never realized even existed all the years we collected Atlas titles, the remarkable discovery has begun of the existence of earlier, unaltered or un-Burgosized versions of many of these Atlas covers. These early renditions were often statted before being altered and later used by foreign publishers in countries where code restrictions were non-existant.  These publishers included L. Miller & Son  and Alan Class of the United Kingdom, and Transworld Features Syndicate, Inc. (La Prensa) in Mexico."

They give a bunch of examples:

"Let's just say, I was flabbergasted. The original version of this cover was (as I expected) both penciled "and" inked by Joe Maneely. A stat of that version was seemingly made and later sent south of the border. But here in the U.S., before Atlas published this cover, Burgos came in and re-rendered the entire cover in his style, moving the position of the man's right leg and taking the handgun off the table, probably for code reasons. (Inexplicably, the rifle he is holding is left exactly where it was. Apparently for the code censors, a handgun was taboo but a rifle was ok.)"

SPELLBOUND%2B%252324%2B%2528Oct55%2529.jpg   FANTASIAS%2Bde%2BCUMBRES%2Bde%2BTORTuRA%2B%252361.jpg

It happened pretty frequently:

Secrets%2Bof%2Bthe%2BUnknown%2B%2523175%2B%2528JIUW%2B%252353%2529.jpg   Journey%2BInto%2BUnknown%2BWorlds%2B%252353%2B%2528Jan57%2529.jpg

CUENTOS%2BDE%2BBRUJAS%2B%2523150.jpg   MYSTERY%2BTALES%2B%252325.jpg

I can hear you know - "but bc, those aren't PHM books."

Hold onto your chairs....

"Another pointed out to me by Nick Caputo, the original Jack Kirby cover on L.H. Miller & Son's Spellbound #40 and the altered U.S. published cover to Tales of Suspense #21 (Sept/61). The likely reason for the change was that Jack drew a cover that didn't match his inside story monster! Klagg was a giant robot from space. On the cover Jack drew an ogre-like monster! "

Spellbound%2B%252340%2B%2528L.H.%2BMiller%2B%2526%2BSon%2529.jpg   Talews%2Bof%2BSuspense%2B%252321%2B%2528Sept61%2529.jpg

This proves the altering of the original artwork did carry well into the PHM era !

So @Frisco Larson your foreign versions (specifically the La Prensa versions) are the REAL deal, what Marvel released in the states was altered from the original works.

-bc

This is fantastic bc!!!! This is perhaps the thing I love most about the boards: sharing knowledge and observations about the books we love!!! Thank you for sharing this!!!  :headbang: