• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

This book is heavily restored but I just love this cover.......

AmazingMysteries32.jpg

That one is on my want list too. Great cover, and first Marvel horror book.

Here's a Canadian version with a cover number of 35. Has the 32 cover but the interior of 34.

am35_zps3cc3b6f1.png

-bc

This thread has been really quiet lately. Did any boardies pick up anything on Ebay tonight?

I won the Strange Tales #4 and 16. :cloud9:

Great job !! is Strange Tales the next complete run you are working on ?

that would be an amazing accomplishment !!

I have a Want List with all the titles listed. I would love to finish them all, but the price of one or two is nose bleed high. Just winning those two was over 500. I do not think I will ever finish Strange Tales, (but I did say the same thing about Amazing and FF runs years back) but it's fun chipping away. Maybe one day.

I love your pursuit so much Frankie...I may start buying books to fill your holes instead of mine... :headbang:

Does that sound right? :insane:

What's up bro?

Stop trying to fill my holes!!!

I really enjoy seeing the comics in this thread!

(thumbs u

Me too, it is one of the coolest subgenres in comics as far as I'm concerned (but then I'm also terribly biased). :cloud9:

I finally checked those comics4less auctions, there were some great books in there. I'm not sure whether to be sorry I missed them or glad I wasn't tempted to spend the money...

(thumbs u

Me too, it is one of the coolest subgenres in comics as far as I'm concerned (but then I'm also terribly biased). :cloud9:

I finally checked those comics4less auctions, there were some great books in there. I'm not sure whether to be sorry I missed them or glad I wasn't tempted to spend the money...

Be glad you were not tempted. :tonofbricks:

Great to see more postings on this thread. At some point I will reconnect my scanning station and scan and post some new pics. Also at some point I will submit a bunch more raw books in for grading. What I ought to do is a grading contest with all Prehero and Atlas books - pickups from the last 2-3 years. That would be very cool. I will have lots more great pics to share, some prehero and a lot more early Atlas pre-prehero books. Just way too busy with work and family right now... in the meantime those of you who do have spare time, keep the posts coming!

(thumbs u

Yet there are some who collect Captain America and X-Men but ignore these.

(shrug)

(thumbs u

Yet there are some who collect Captain America and X-Men but ignore these.

(shrug)

I think that most folks who end up getting into pre-hero start through one of the titles that provides sort of a "gateway drug" into these. For me it was TTA, which I was collecting for the early Hulk appearances. That got me to look at the early books in the series, and I realized not only how great they were but how challenging they were to collect (especially in the pre-internet, pre-eBay days). If you've never collected a title that had a pre-hero period I think it is less likely that you get hooked on them. Your examples of Captain America and X-Men would qualify as books that wouldn't get you started down that road, unless you extended into TOS (and even then only if you didn't stop your run when Cap started in the title).

I’ve been collecting for as long as I’ve been at it, which would be the 70s. My first exposure was through reprint titles like Where Monsters Dwell and Monsters on the Prowl, which were more heavily slanted towards TOS/TTA/STJIM stories than some of the other reprint tiles like Chamber of Chills and Weird Wonder Tales. I was crazy about Kirby/Ayers and Ditko art.

What I ought to do is a grading contest with all Prehero and Atlas books - pickups from the last 2-3 years. That would be very cool.

Can't wait to see the scans!

I’ve been collecting for as long as I’ve been at it, which would be the 70s. My first exposure was through reprint titles like Where Monsters Dwell and Monsters on the Prowl, which were more heavily slanted towards TOS/TTA/STJIM stories than some of the other reprint tiles like Chamber of Chills and Weird Wonder Tales. I was crazy about Kirby/Ayers and Ditko art.

..... ditto for me. I liked these so much that only an FF or a Spidey would take priority over one of those reprint books. I can't remember when I got my first vintage copy.... but it wasn't until the early 90's that I became serious about them. They weren't terribly easy to find and almost never in high grade (at least around here....) Now and then one would turn up in Fine or slightly less, and at around $20 to $30 I'd snap them up. I'll always love these things. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... ditto for me. I liked these so much that only an FF or a Spidey would take priority over one of those reprint books. I can't remember when I got my first vintage copy.... but it wasn't until the early 90's that I became serious about them. They weren't terribly easy to find and almost never in high grade (at least around here....) Now and then one would turn up in Fine or slightly less, and at around $20 to $30 I'd snap them up. I'll always love these things. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Almost identical circumstances for me, except that my $20 only got me a fair/good!

Nice pickups and the cover on the ST is compelling when you have an attractive copy like that one! :applause: