• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

I don't think they'll ever be common in grade...... but I miss the days when a sharp Fine plus could be had for 50 bucks....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not common across the Board but individually some will be 'common'. Examples...

TOS 28 has four copies in 9.4, two in 9.2, and 3 in 9.0 . My 7.0, previously a decent grade, now has 27 copies graded higher.

TOS 38 has 2 copies in 9.6, 3 in 9.4, 3 in 9.2, and 5 in 9.0 . My 8.0, again a decent grade, now has 10 in grade and 22 graded higher.

The high grade books seem to appear in bursts. Been actively collecting them for about 7 years and it's common not to find any for several months - then 5 to 10 all appear in the same auction or in close proximity !

I do agree that I've never seen so many uber high grade slabbed copies for sale than in the last 6-9 months (even the number of listings for mid-grade slabbed copies has greatly increased). Really challenges the checkbook control sometimes :ohnoez: but I'm just not willing to spend $7K on a TOS4 or TTA 5 in 9.2.

Watching the census count for the PHM books since 2013. On average, about 60 books were being slabbed a month for the 164 PHM issues. In 2014, that approached 90 a month and once the Guardians of the Galaxy movie came out, every available copy of TTA13 was slabbed and the monthly count regularly exceeded 125 books. Maybe the Groot effect drew more attention from collectors, dealers and flippers to this genre ? Seeing more and more of the other company's slabs appearing as well.

Can't hurt that the prices are now significant & consistent to get sellers motivated to let them go.

-bc

Using some random census data.

In October 2014, the number of uber high grade PHM books breaks down like this:

2 @ 9.8 (TTA30 & ST100 which just hit the census that month)

7 @ 9.6

59 @ 9.4

132 @ 9.2

290 @ 9.0

398 @ 8.5

Currently on the census for the 164 PHM issues:

2 @ 9.8 (no change, same books)

7 @ 9.6 (no change, same books)

63 @ 9.4 (+4 copies)

137 @ 9.2 (+5 copies)

302 @ 9.0 (+12 copies)

457 @ 8.5 (+59 copies)

That's 80 "new" high grade copies in less than 2 years!

-bc

7 @ 9.6

59 @ 9.4

132 @ 9.2

290 @ 9.0

398 @ 8.5

63 @ 9.4 (+4 copies)

137 @ 9.2 (+5 copies)

302 @ 9.0 (+12 copies)

457 @ 8.5 (+59 copies)

-bc

First off, thanks for gathering this info and sharing it. Very interesting. Just looking at 9.0 and above I guess there has not been an avalanche of new copies. I think a lot of the new copies in auction recently are from the same collection. The OO wrote, in marker, on the inside of the front cover. You can see, in the upper right of the front cover, a mild bleed through. Even with this 'flaw', the books graded very high. It appears CGC treated them like simple writing on the cover. Not a big deal but the fact that they are on the inside cover, these markings are not legible and almost look like a stain, which they are not.

7 @ 9.6

59 @ 9.4

132 @ 9.2

290 @ 9.0

398 @ 8.5

63 @ 9.4 (+4 copies)

137 @ 9.2 (+5 copies)

302 @ 9.0 (+12 copies)

457 @ 8.5 (+59 copies)

-bc

First off, thanks for gathering this info and sharing it. Very interesting. Just looking at 9.0 and above I guess there has not been an avalanche of new copies. I think a lot of the new copies in auction recently are from the same collection. The OO wrote, in marker, on the inside of the front cover. You can see, in the upper right of the front cover, a mild bleed through. Even with this 'flaw', the books graded very high. It appears CGC treated them like simple writing on the cover. Not a big deal but the fact that they are on the inside cover, these markings are not legible and almost look like a stain, which they are not.

You're very welcome!

Noticed this on the AA3 and yes, at first thought it may be a stain as well. Then I realized it was a number on the inside of the cover ("307" maybe?).

Was gonna ask if anyone had any idea about this collection. Thanks!

-bc

After six years (and many beers), finally put together the Amazing Adventures run in VF or higher:

AA_Set2_1_zpskvy5xi52.jpg

(Yes, I poorly pieced together two pics).

Thanks to Bronty & others for helping make this happen!

-bc

Edited by bc

It's a great group of books, one of my favorite series.

I just noticed that except for Torr, all the AA monsters are pink or brown.

Never noticed that.

In the story, Torr is actually a Ben Grimm/Thing orange:

torr_zps5rpgmvzp.jpg

(From my reader copy)

-bc