• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, bc said:

Thanks! The ToS 6 CGC8.0 went for $756 (which is a pretty good value). Have an old label 8.5 that will stay in the vault for a long time :cloud9:

Understand the fiscal limits :) With all the quality books up for sale this year, hard to keep within the budget.

-bc

I paid about a grand for my 7.5 #6, so yeah, I would say that that is a good deal. You just never know what will happen in auctions, and I knew I was probably overpaying but nice #6s don't exactly grow on trees and that was the first one I had seen in a while. I know I have done well on other books, so hopefully it has all evened out...

That's the thing with pre-hero collecting, they seem to come in bunches when I have no money! There will be nothing you need for months, then an auction pops up with like 4-5 books you covet. It makes budgeting as a collector very difficult. If the last few years are any guide, it would seem that some long-time collectors are divesting and it will present an opportunity for the next generation like us to get a few nice books.

11 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I paid about a grand for my 7.5 #6, so yeah, I would say that that is a good deal. You just never know what will happen in auctions, and I knew I was probably overpaying but nice #6s don't exactly grow on trees and that was the first one I had seen in a while. I know I have done well on other books, so hopefully it has all evened out...

That's the thing with pre-hero collecting, they seem to come in bunches when I have no money! There will be nothing you need for months, then an auction pops up with like 4-5 books you covet. It makes budgeting as a collector very difficult. If the last few years are any guide, it would seem that some long-time collectors are divesting and it will present an opportunity for the next generation like us to get a few nice books.

That's exactly what has been happening to me as well. Now that I'm down to a large handful of books to complete the PHM set, months go by with nothing and then BAM - warchest instantly depleted ! Doesn't help this month that all the auction houses were going off at the same time along with some great sales threads happening here.

After months of patiently searching, I was literally creating a WTB thread for a ToS 8 when I saw that one pop up very late in the CLink preview - gotta believe karma was playing a part so I went all in and avoided the many other temptations (and it was much tougher to do than I care to admit).

-bc

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Thanks.  Unfortunately most will go to a new home. :frown:

There are now a lot of gaps.

PreHeroMarvel Rack.jpg

I was hunted by X, the thing that lived..............:sumo: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

Just got a few books back from grading, plus that purchase I was really excited about is in hand. So here we go...

The books back from CGC, all but the ST #3 were board purchases raw:

ST03CGC.jpg

ST27CGC.jpg

JIM62CGC.jpg

Congrats on the great haul !  The WM Strange Tales is a beaut  and the 3 & 27 are very nice presenting copies (that's my speed for those early issues (thumbsu )

That JIM62 makes me jealous - only need that and a 66 to complete the implosion thru phm run for that title.

Rock on :headbang:

-bc

2 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Picked this up in the Clink auction last night. I wanted the #78 as well, but my max got sniped at the end by someone who wanted it just a little more.

RAD340DA2017918_12493.jpg

congratz man! That one was seriously tempting me :)

-bc

13 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Picked this up in the Clink auction last night. I wanted the #78 as well, but my max got sniped at the end by someone who wanted it just a little more.

RAD340DA2017918_12493.jpg

Don't be too sure you won it. I just got notified that they are going to redo a portion of the auction from last night. Even after getting a WINNING NOTIFICATION E-Mail on a Tales of Suspense, I guess I didn't 'win' it afterall.  Server problems. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

16 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Don't be too sure you won it. I just got notified that they are going to redo a portion of the auction from last night. Even after getting a WINNING NOTIFICATION E-Mail on a Tales of Suspense, I guess I didn't 'win' it afterall.  Server problems. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

From what Clink said in the "show your 2017 winnings" thread they are just redoing a portion of the TOS auctions. These STs should be far enough away from that danger zone that they shouldn't need a redo. I guess we will see. :wishluck:

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

From what Clink said in the "show your 2017 winnings" thread they are just redoing a portion of the TOS auctions. These STs should be far enough away from that danger zone that they shouldn't need a redo. I guess we will see. :wishluck:

Hey @mysterio - you should be fine. I was also worried after reading the email and posts - called them this morning to pay for my Strange Tales winning and all was good.

-bc