• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,010 posts in this topic

Saved my favorite Christmas theme for last

peanuts in the swamp.jpg

Spoiler

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

image.png.54aeaae8ad46a10ed956a913543e2bf8.png

Edited by bc

As a long-time Silver Age Marvel collector I've always loved the pre=hero books from afar, never owning any of them because I had my hands full trying to complete superhero runs.  I still have my hands full doing that, but I've started dabbling a bit in pre-hero Marvels this year, starting with a book that obviously got very hot from the movies:

5a450c2696dff_TalestoAstonish13CGC6.0.thumb.jpg.a3ec024187b6788d5169449a4cd49162.jpg

I then decided to grab a "prototype Hulk" appearance:

5a450c6a12595_JourneyIntoMystery66CGC5.0.thumb.jpg.9b4cc74f9f8929f1de2e8b63648c26e7.jpg

And finally this week I was thrilled to be able to pick up two books that were always favorites:

5a450cadb13f2_TalesofSuspense15CGC6.0.thumb.jpg.8b49bf0d3d89aee3fe485424178069f2.jpg5a450cb469b53_TalesofSuspense17CGC7.0.thumb.jpg.6d86a7e7958ea03217887a43017c23e4.jpg

I mean, how could my life be complete without Goom and Googam, Son of Goom?!

So ... now I'm wondering if I should put together a little wish list of other pre-hero books.  Without having given it much thought, and going purely off the top of my head, I would think JIM #62 (the first appearance of that prototype Hulk) and Strange Tales #89 (Fin Fang Foom) should be on that list.  I could also go after #1s (I haven't even looked up how much those might cost) or "last issues" like JIM #82 or TOS #38.

I would be really curious (and grateful) to hear which other pre-hero books are particularly interesting or significant to you all -- either because they pre-sage the superhero boom that would follow, or because the stories and characters are great (you know what I mean, nobody is expecting Shakespeare here!), or for any other reason.

In the meantime, as time allows I will try to scan through this thread for ideas!!

Welcome aboard !

Very sweet first choices!

You listed most of the PHM "keys" other than TTA27 & ST97. I consider Strange Worlds #1 a must have as well (from the GCD):

"The premiere issue's cover and its seven-page story "I Discovered the Secret of the Flying Saucers" marked Kirby's return to Marvel, for which he had not worked since 1941 except for 20 scattered stories from 1956 to 1957."

Most of the prototype issue's are a pretty far stretch from the final Marvel character but they are popular. There's a lot of cool covers to pick from in every title (not to plug my gallery but its 99% finished):

@jimjum12 has an encyclopedic-like knowledge of the stories; most are fairly formulaic. Fin Fang Foom seems to be one of the better ones of the lot.

Don't under-estimate the post-Implosion books (JIM49-51, ST60-67, WOF9-14), they have classic artists & similar stories but were more challenging to find in decent grade. I wrote a long post about this a while back in this thread (found it on page 381).

Half of the fun for me is in the hunt.

Looking forward to seeing what you get!

-bc

Edited by bc

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:36 PM, bc said:

Welcome!

It's now there for posterity....or until the next board software upgrade...(:

-bc

That was a cool read bc...thanks for posting.  Of course, in many of these stories there's often a key flaw to propel the story.  In this case, he even states the Hulk must weight a ton.  HTF did he get the thing on his truck and then off his truck into his shop?  Well, after all, it is a mystery... (shrug)

4 hours ago, bc said:

Welcome aboard !

Very sweet first choices!

You listed most of the PHM "keys" other than TTA27 & ST97. I consider Strange Worlds #1 a must have as well (from the GCD):

"The premiere issue's cover and its seven-page story "I Discovered the Secret of the Flying Saucers" marked Kirby's return to Marvel, for which he had not worked since 1941 except for 20 scattered stories from 1956 to 1957."

Most of the prototype issue's are a pretty far stretch from the final Marvel character but they are popular. There's a lot of cool covers to pick from in every title (not to plug my gallery but its 99% finished):

@jimjum12 has an encyclopedic-like knowledge of the stories; most are fairly formulaic. Fin Fang Foom seems to be one of the better ones of the lot.

Don't under-estimate the post-Implosion books (JIM49-51, ST60-67, WOF9-14), they have classic artists & similar stories but were more challenging to find in decent grade. I wrote a long post about this a while back in this thread (found it on page 381).

Half of the fun for me is in the hunt.

Looking forward to seeing what you get!

-bc

That gallery is awesome ... thanks for the link!  I'm truly impressed by your collection.  (thumbsu

Thanks for the warm welcome and I will definitely keep you posted as I go!

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

So ... now I'm wondering if I should put together a little wish list of other pre-hero books.  Without having given it much thought, and going purely off the top of my head, I would think JIM #62 (the first appearance of that prototype Hulk) and Strange Tales #89 (Fin Fang Foom) should be on that list.  I could also go after #1s (I haven't even looked up how much those might cost) or "last issues" like JIM #82 or TOS #38.

I would be really curious (and grateful) to hear which other pre-hero books are particularly interesting or significant to you all -- either because they pre-sage the superhero boom that would follow, or because the stories and characters are great (you know what I mean, nobody is expecting Shakespeare here!), or for any other reason.

In the meantime, as time allows I will try to scan through this thread for ideas!!

I got into PHMs from buying Hulk annual 5 in the 70s and reading about Xemnu, Diablo, Goom, Taboo, Groot, and The Blip! They are virtually all I have left of a complete collection!

I was never too big on "prototypes". If they grab you, tho; I recommend Tales Of Suspense 16 and Strange Tales 97!

On 12/29/2017 at 10:34 PM, KirbyJack said:

I got into PHMs from buying Hulk annual 5 in the 70s and reading about Xemnu, Diablo, Goom, Taboo, Groot, and The Blip! They are virtually all I have left of a complete collection!

I was never too big on "prototypes". If they grab you, tho; I recommend Tales Of Suspense 16 and Strange Tales 97!

I've always been fascinated by the creative process -- for example, I'm the kind of person who reads books detailing exactly how the Beatles wrote and recorded their songs -- so the "prototype" stuff is interesting to me to the extent that any of the ideas in those books ended up being recycled in the superhero era.  All of the characters you've described that lived on into the Silver Age (or brought back in the Bronze Age) are high on my list as well.  Fin Fang Foom was always the king of those, although Groot has now vaulted far past him in terms of popular awareness.  I am pretty sure Xemnu is that "prototype Hulk" I described so he checks all the boxes.  :smile:

Thanks for the recommendations and I look forward to following and enjoying this thread!

On 10/10/2017 at 6:02 PM, bc said:

Completed the Tales of Suspense PHM run. Put together a little cover gallery. Not all are slabbed, but they are mine :)

-bc

ToS_1_38_set.jpg

How long did it take you to get these together? I hope you got that TOS #1 a long time ago, because it sells on eBay now for over $5K.