• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

Just returned from Sarasota...

20180502_133628.jpg

20180502_133736.jpg

Very nice looking copies! :headbang:

Nice bright colors, clean wrap/centering and overall great eye appeal on two tough issues from '59. I like this series, often gets overlooked. Thanks for sharing!

-bc

So going back to the Western-PHM crossovers, would these be considered part of that subset? (I do not own these, just grabbed some pics off the web)

Front Cover Image

or

Front Cover Image

As I research this more, not sure where to draw the line. It's a Kirby cover, with a monster or being with crazy powers and a hero in peril (but no Kirby monster pants though, so that is a -1).

Arrrggghhhh, I'm starting to like some of these westerns.....must look away.....focus on beer......

-bc

Anybody pick up any of the PHM books in todays Heritage auction?

Went 0-5. Strong prices, was hoping these would stay under the radar as it was a middle of a Saturday afternoon event.

Had to watch myself with that 30% buyers premium. Was bidding on a ToS #8 CGC 8.5 (OW) that ultimately hammered for $2,200, with the buyers fee someone paid $2,629. It was a beauty of a copy, probably should have manned up the extra couple hundred bucks and made a run at it now that I think about:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Mystery, Tales of Suspense #8 (Marvel, 1960) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white pages....

Oh well, at least there is still a demand for these goofy monster books.

-bc

6 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

30%?  Isn't it 19.5%?  (Which of course is still a lot of money.)

Yes, you are correct. Bad math....

-bc

58 minutes ago, RICK STARR said:

I got the TTA 14 (9.0) which is an upgrade to my 8.5. A nice selection of high grade pre-heroes.

Congrats that was another beauty! Might know somebody if you ever want to part with that lowly under-copy :whistle:

-bc

On 5/2/2018 at 9:32 PM, bc said:

So going back to the Western-PHM crossovers, would these be considered part of that subset? (I do not own these, just grabbed some pics off the web)

Front Cover Image

or

Front Cover Image

As I research this more, not sure where to draw the line. It's a Kirby cover, with a monster or being with crazy powers and a hero in peril (but no Kirby monster pants though, so that is a -1).

Arrrggghhhh, I'm starting to like some of these westerns.....must look away.....focus on beer......

-bc

Boy those are some nice books,  wonder who is selling them?

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

Boy those are some nice books,  wonder who is selling them?

Sooooooo, are they considered Kirby monster/western cross-overs or are they two late (1964)? Since the ship had sailed on PHM covers in 3/63 with ToS38, likely these are too late....

Not sure where I saw them now, must have taken my own advise and drank more beer. Was it your site?  lol

-bc

3 hours ago, bc said:

Sooooooo, are they considered Kirby monster/western cross-overs or are they two late (1964)? Since the ship had sailed on PHM covers in 3/63 with ToS38, likely these are too late....

-bc

You’ll have to make your own call on what works for you. That ape is borderline for me, the scorpion is a no. Just add Two-Gun Kid 58 to the three books Robot Man posted and you will have the biggies!

Well, worked a deal on a consolation prize after getting smoked at the HA auction. 

tos_13.jpg

This is the fifth high grade PHM I've gathered that has some sort of numerical coding on the inside cover in marker (you can see it thru the CCA "stamp"). None of the sellers have any idea about the history of the book but the color and writing style implies that it was all done by the same person. 

-bc

Edited by bc

Well, after spending a rainy Sunday morning looking at my collection again, think I'm gonna stick to these goofy monster books and try and do some upgrading instead of jumping into something else.

Realized I have 89 of the 178 PHM issues slabbed - exactly at 50%! Doing some quick database work, the average grade of the 89 slabbed books is 8.0 (actually 7.9996), which was one of my set criteria when I started out almost a decade ago. Highest grades are 9.2 (4), lowest is the newest, the TTA27 at 3.0, most common grade is 8.5 (forty). 84 of them are CGC slabs, 5 are Voldy's.

Also have another 120 raw PHM issues, probably need to sell the dupes otherwise I'm gonna need another short box soon. Want to keep an intact complete set together going forward.

So guess I'll be hanging out here a little longer....

-bc

Edited by bc
fix stuff

58 minutes ago, bc said:

Well, after spending a rainy Sunday morning looking at my collection again, think I'm gonna stick to these goofy monster books and try and do some upgrading instead of jumping into something else.

Realized I have 89 of the 178 PHM issues slabbed - exactly at 50%! Doing some quick database work, the average grade of the 89 slabbed books is 8.0 (actually 7.9996), which was one of my set criteria when I started out almost a decade ago. Highest grades are 9.2 (4), lowest is the newest, the TTA27 at 3.0, most common grade is 8.5 (forty). 84 of them are CGC slabs, 5 are Voldy's.

So guess I'll be hanging out here a little longer....

-bc

Awesome.  It's a ton of fun watching your progress as you continue to build on one of the more impressive collections around.  (thumbsu

Have you put your books into a registry set, and if so can you share the link?

28 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Awesome.  It's a ton of fun watching your progress as you continue to build on one of the more impressive collections around.  (thumbsu

Have you put your books into a registry set, and if so can you share the link?

Thanks man!

I've been diligently adding them to the Competitive Set Registry for their titles as I find it a good second source of documentation. Also created a new Gallery to showcase just the covers. 

Never tried to link a Registry page, let's see what happens

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=89020

Sorta was hoping for something more than just a boring old link....since the Gallery link creates this:

-bc

Edited by bc

3 minutes ago, bc said:

Thanks man!

I've been diligently adding them to the Competitive Set Registry for their titles as I find it a good second source of documentation. Also created a new Gallery to showcase just the covers. 

Never tried to link a Registry page, let's see what happens

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=89020

Sorta was hoping for something more than just a boring old link....

-bc

Yeah, that is an impressive set.  :golfclap:

Here for everyone to enjoy is the link to all of your registry books:

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/PublicUserHome.aspx?PeopleID=60257