• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Ooh! A Contest!

Mysterio, you’re the judge; Who’s got the best copy?

(my good one)

05ED7AE6-546F-46FF-91F3-25EBF9EB7686.thumb.jpeg.bb4d7f4f7dfb619da55defcf76f51f57.jpeg

^^ based on what I can see in the pics. This copy has better color and is slightly less chippy. 

5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Yes! :banana:

Of course, bc will find a 8.5 in a matter of hours, but for now I RULE!!!

I salute your victory and you have a good eye mysterio (thumbsu

Speaking of my favorite number, been pretty slim pickins this whole year at that grade and above for PHMs. In prior years there were several in each auction house almost monthly to pick from (and drain the wallet). Didn't see much of anything in all the SDCC pics and videos either - think there were more AF15's than total PHMs at the con!

Probably doesn't help that I'm targeting fewer and fewer books anymore...

Supply is still strong in the mid and lower grades; the higher grades must be finding their "forever homes".

Now off to find a slabbed ST75 :devil:

-bc

1 hour ago, bc said:

I salute your victory and you have a good eye mysterio (thumbsu

Speaking of my favorite number, been pretty slim pickins this whole year at that grade and above for PHMs. In prior years there were several in each auction house almost monthly to pick from (and drain the wallet). Didn't see much of anything in all the SDCC pics and videos either - think there were more AF15's than total PHMs at the con!

Probably doesn't help that I'm targeting fewer and fewer books anymore...

Supply is still strong in the mid and lower grades; the higher grades must be finding their "forever homes".

Now off to find a slabbed ST75 :devil:

-bc

Almost all of my focus is on the hero stuff, but (partly inspired by this thread!) I have gone out there and bought up a bunch of PHMs.  I'm usually targeting 6.0 which is a nice mid grade.  But for whatever reason I got on a roll with Journey Into Mystery where all of my books so far, except one, are 7.0.  So I'm going to try to put together a 7.0 run of #49-82.  (Technically I also have #84 in 7.0, so if anyone wants to sell me a 7.0 of #83 that would fit in very nicely!)

17 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Seems like a really healthy price. 

bc, is that the going rate or was this book a bit inflated? 33 bids sounds like a lot.

Strange Tales 74 is tough in grade …… I would have been happy to get it at that price, that cover is the cat's pajamas :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

It's a highest-graded copy, so throw out any GPA or past history. Also, I find with both Strange Tales and Journey into Mystery, it's a whole different ball game compared to the other PHM titles as far as the collector base size and willingness to spend big on high grade copies.

Yes, it had quite a few bids (33) and over 12 watchers (for an auction that ended on a Tuesday night). Figure it would go for around a grand so it's not really inflated considering all the factors.

Pretty happy with mine, so I didn't bid higher.

st_74.jpg

On 7/24/2018 at 12:57 PM, bc said:

Great book - love that you can see the window adds thru the man! Really sweet looking copy for right before the Implosion.

Also cool how Everett worked his name backwards as the store title :)

Thanks for sharing!

-bc

JIM 47 - amazing cover i had not seen before (thumbsu

Edited by 1950's war comics

8 hours ago, bc said:

It's a highest-graded copy, so throw out any GPA or past history. Also, I find with both Strange Tales and Journey into Mystery, it's a whole different ball game compared to the other PHM titles as far as the collector base size and willingness to spend big on high grade copies.

Yes, it had quite a few bids (33) and over 12 watchers (for an auction that ended on a Tuesday night). Figure it would go for around a grand so it's not really inflated considering all the factors.

st_74.jpg

It would have gone higher at one of the big Auction houses ….I wasn't even aware of it. It's one of several PHM's that you count yourself lucky to even have a chance at in 8.0 or better. JIM 52 and 54 are like that as well....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

9 hours ago, bc said:

st_74.jpg

His little brother appeared in an Dr Who episode.

7d12170fe44822037a17a52fd5f9dfd0.jpg