• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, bc said:

Not sure about significantly increasing in value. That would require a greater demand. Both have a had slow but steady increase in value over time.

Let's take a look at each by some numbers:

• TOS#1 has a total of 186 Universal graded copies currently in the Census
  • TTA#1 has a total of 144 Universal graded copies currently in the Census (22% less than TOS#1)

For your specific grade ranges (3.0-4.5):

• TOS#1 has a total of 79 Universal graded copies currently in the Census (about 42% of the total of 186)
  • TTA#1 has a total of 72 Universal graded copies currently in the Census (50% of the total of 144) (about 9% less than the total for TOS#1)

From some GPA data:

• TOS#1 is going for around $661 / $720 / $1500 / $1009 in 3.0 / 3.5 / 4.0 / 4.5 (a total of 58 transactions recorded since 2002)
  • TTA#1 is going for around $850 / $1100 / $921 / $1200 in 3.0 / 3.5 / 4.0 / 4.5 (a total of 47 transactions recorded since 2003, about 19% less than the TOS#1)

From a cover appeal perspective you have Kirby vs Heck 

tta_1_cropped.jpg.f02f10f1996d68d6e49a59aab2121245.jpgtos_1_cropped.jpg.5de86254eaeb3f10144b798d43d10ab4.jpg

Both issues debuted in January 1959.

So TTA#1 is a little less frequently slabbed & sold and tougher to find in higher grades. They both hover within the same respective price range at your grade levels - each has an outlier or two. The Kirby cover on TTA#1 might be enough to make that the clear decision for some if it came down to one OR the other.

As mentioned earlier, without a pickup in demand, these won't be competing in value with their superhero peers. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but realistically there is currently an adequate supply and demand ratio to cause a gradual increase in value. If demand would increase even a bit :wishluck:, these books would prove to potentially be in league with their superhero peers due to the lower supply. Gonna guess that many of these books are locked away in "black hole" collections (mine are) which implies that any significant value increase will likely only draw out a small fraction of the potential books to market. 

My vote would be to pick up the nicest looking TTA#1 you can get for your allotted amount if you have to pick just one. Grab the TOS#1 down the road, there's more of them available & brought to market. Then pray like the rest of us PHM junkies (I think we are called "hodlers" in stock market slang) for the demand to explode :)

-bc

Thanks for all that info.

I know good investment is all about supply and demand. But how often do you go into a comic shop (or even to a show) and see either TTA #1 or TOS #1? I don't think I've ever seen one in a LCS - only at a big show or online. You'd think that the low supply and even a moderate demand would have made these issues comparable to, say, a Hulk #181 or GS X-Men #1 which have an overabundant supply. But it seems that regardless of supply, a solid investment comic boils solely down to demand these days. High demand/low supply (for example, Avengers #1) and you get sky-high prices; high demand/high supply (i.e. Hulk #181) and you still get high prices. The movies really are driving up the issues with first appearances, seemingly regardless of supply. Too bad they aren't doing Tales From The Crypt-like movies based on these PHM issues.

1 minute ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Thanks for all that info.

I know good investment is all about supply and demand. But how often do you go into a comic shop (or even to a show) and see either TTA #1 or TOS #1? I don't think I've ever seen one in a LCS - only at a big show or online. You'd think that the low supply and even a moderate demand would have made these issues comparable to, say, a Hulk #181 or GS X-Men #1 which have an overabundant supply. But it seems that regardless of supply, a solid investment comic boils solely down to demand these days. High demand/low supply (for example, Avengers #1) and you get sky-high prices; high demand/high supply (i.e. Hulk #181) and you still get high prices. The movies really are driving up the issues with first appearances, seemingly regardless of supply. Too bad they aren't doing Tales From The Crypt-like movies based on these PHM issues.

I've said it many times in this thread, if Disney (or whoever owns the rights to these) would do a 30 minute TV/streaming series based on the PHM characters, even cartoons, the demand would likely propel values.

-bc

1 minute ago, bc said:

I'm actually quite surprised that you don't have either of them given the breadth of your collection. I'll keep my eyes open for you both. MCS has a pretty clean TTA#1 in CGC 4.0 (CR-OW) for $1,325 or best offer up. They also have the other guys #1 at 3.0 in an auction currently at $466 with a few days to go:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ivitems=6891371#50885621

-bc

I sold off most of my PHM books in the late 90s when I made a big push into the Golden Age. I had some BEAUTIFUL copies with killer pages, right around the VF range and let them go for market at the time, which was nothing compared to trying to get them back in that condition now. I HAVE reacquired maybe 35% of the PHM books but just grabbing them in whatever affordable grade I bump into them, no focus on condition of any kind, which is why you see me post decent copies and some rough ones. Thanks for the info, I'll look into those copies. It's lower on my priority list right now, but if the *right* copies show up, I'll make a move. 

Just now, bc said:

I've said it many times in this thread, if Disney (or whoever owns the rights to these) would do a 30 minute TV/streaming series based on the PHM characters, even cartoons, the demand would likely propel values.

-bc

No doubt. Bring back Moonstone, Monster Hunter and have him tackle the Thick-skinned variety. Dr. Droom can handle the ghost/weird/perspective stories. A new World Menace every week!

5 minutes ago, bc said:

-bc

Look what happened to the prices of TTA #13!!!! MCS has a CGC 7.5 with ow-w pages for $7415!!!! 

3 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Look what happened to the prices of TTA #13!!!! MCS has a CGC 7.5 with ow-w pages for $7415!!!! 

Can you imagine what it would be if a Baby Groot cartoon series was made (:

-bc

Edited by bc
need to send this to the Mouse

I always liked the ToS #1 cover -the Sci-Fi, and spacemen covers:cloud9:

The TTA #1 always struck me as a kind of friendly smile that did not fit with the monster. That cover was actually re-done nicely in WWT #4 - the monster became more "monstrous".

Hey Gang,

A few pages back we talked about requesting a Competitive Registry Set for JIM 50-82. 

I just submitted the request on page 7 of this thread:

Feel free to go on over and like the post as this was our group discussion.

It won't happen until they approve it and unlock the Registry after the awards in a few weeks.

teamwork funny > Sourcing and Recruiting News

-bc

3 hours ago, bc said:

Hey Gang,

A few pages back we talked about requesting a Competitive Registry Set for JIM 50-82. 

It won't happen until they approve it and unlock the Registry after the awards in a few weeks.

-bc

I just liked your post.  Proud to be part of the PHM Gang!!!

4 hours ago, bc said:

Hey Gang,

-bc

I just liked the post! Thanks again bc for submitting the set!!!  (thumbsu