• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,010 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Mucheee1 said:

… and a couple of more.

Maneely's last ST cover, probably hitting the newsstands the month he died?

I previously posted a poor quality photo of the 65 a couple of pages ago, here is a scan.

ST65.jpg

Awesome copy of a tough book in that grade! And Old Label Goodness to boot!

1 hour ago, Mucheee1 said:

I wish the CGC slab wasn't so scuffed up though. Does anyone know the best way to clean the slab?

I don't know how to remove the scuff marks and scratches - they are caused by material removed from the slab, not some added dirt or goop that could be cleaned off.

The TOS6 slab (another old label) I posted on the last page is really scuffed up. Thinking of springing for a reholder as it may be the safest bet instead of playing with chemicals/fillers.

But if you find out anything, please let us know!

40 minutes ago, bc said:

I don't know how to remove the scuff marks and scratches - they are caused by material removed from the slab, not some added dirt or goop that could be cleaned off.

The TOS6 slab (another old label) I posted on the last page is really scuffed up. Thinking of springing for a reholder as it may be the safest bet instead of playing with chemicals/fillers.

But if you find out anything, please let us know!

I have no experience with this, but has anyone tried that headlight repair stuff on a slab? Just a thought.

45 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I have no experience with this, but has anyone tried that headlight repair stuff on a slab? Just a thought.

I thought of that too, but not sure how it works on different types of plastics. Don't have any empty slabs to test on and a bit afraid to put a small drop on and watch it slowly melt thru the case onto the book :eek:

58 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Well, someone did ask this before

When I started collecting ST in the late 80’s, I decided to get them all, as well as all the JIM, TOS, and TTA. In retrospect, I probably bit off more than I could chew, but I’ve enjoyed the hunt. I still hope to get them all, but they are getting harder to find, and way to expensive.

13 hours ago, Mucheee1 said:

When I started collecting ST in the late 80’s, I decided to get them all, as well as all the JIM, TOS, and TTA. In retrospect, I probably bit off more than I could chew, but I’ve enjoyed the hunt. I still hope to get them all, but they are getting harder to find, and way to expensive.

I'm doing the same thing. Pacing myself is helping with the cost, though it is getting pricey even at my preferred grade level of 6.0-7.5.

Just now, mysterio said:

I'm doing the same thing. Pacing myself is helping with the cost, though it is getting pricey even at my preferred grade level of 6.0-7.5.

Hey m! Hope you're doing well!

Got any cool new purchases to show us :baiting:

:)

-bc

2 minutes ago, bc said:

Hey m! Hope you're doing well!

Got any cool new purchases to show us :baiting:

:)

-bc

Thanks! Things are good here, just been a bit quiet lately while I try to raise funds to pay off a new acquisition. Once I actually own the book I will be quite happy to show it off in this very thread! Hope you've been good bc!

12 minutes ago, bc said:

I decided to use the restart of the Atlas titles post-Implosion as my collections starting point. I know most of the early material was likely leftovers from the pre-Implosion days, but it made such a clean starting point that I couldn't resist.

That's a long-winded way of saying I got a ST66

st_66_cropped.thumb.jpg.25241793589cf69dd2e51e70b10b5e2e.jpg

-bc

Having a collecting focus. Interesting strategy. I should try it some time lol :kidaround:

11 minutes ago, TheWatcher said:

Having a collecting focus. Interesting strategy. I should try it some time lol :kidaround:

That’s part of my problem, I see too many books I like. I’ve been pretty much all over the place, plus my wife likes to collect Green Lanterns and Flash, as well as some GA titles. Don’t know if I’ll ever get all the ST.

Anybody pick up anything in the last CLink auction? They had a slew of PHMs in the 4.0-6.0 range (unfortunately nothing higher).

Been some slim pickens these last few months from the auction houses.

23 minutes ago, mysterio said:

How close are you in getting all the Strange Tales? I currently have 118 issues, so a lot more yet to get. I used to be pickier about the grades, but some of these can be so hard to find so I’m loosening my standards.