• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

Is this the only 20 cent pre-hero? 

Took me a second to understand the question....but yes, this is the only 20 cents PHM book.

Thanks for the excuse to rummage thru my cover gallery on a Friday morning!

15 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

What cracks me up on a lot of these PHM covers is how the dialogue demonstrates people's awareness that the creature of the month exists and could be nearby.

There was a section in the newspaper that covered the area monsters and tracked their movements. That’s also how everyone knew all the names, even of the monsters that didn’t talk. 

I think it was by the obits.

2 hours ago, bc said:

Took me a second to understand the question....but yes, this is the only 20 cents PHM book.

Thanks for the excuse to rummage thru my cover gallery on a Friday morning!

It looks like a situation where there was a design change in the prices, and someone screwed up and rolled with both of them. It’s one of those things that always catches my eye when I see this cover. 

46 minutes ago, mysterio said:

It looks like a situation where there was a design change in the prices, and someone screwed up and rolled with both of them. It’s one of those things that always catches my eye when I see this cover. 

I have the same problem with this book:

mystery_tales_38.jpg.2ded67158461089241017b459ca5930d.jpg

Spoiler

If you need a life preserver for that, you're probably doing it wrong.

My inner child giggles every time I see this book.

-bc

1 hour ago, bc said:

Killer colors on the ST 87 sir :headbang:

Thanks. I can't remember where or when I got that book (probably decades ago), but I was also surprised at how nice it looks (as well the ST85 and 86 I posted earlier). I guess I lucked out on that particular day, as I have many ST that don't look so good.

I had a Strange Tales day like that, 2013 maybe. Box diving at the local shop I came across really pretty, mid plus grade copies of ann. 1, 103, 85, and at least 3 other PHMs that escape memory. These weren’t even on the wall! 

Priced at about “good+” Overstreet. Still have the 103!