Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
18 18

9,228 posts in this topic

2,637 posts
45 minutes ago, DR.X said:

Never understood the big deal with Fing Fang Foom.

That's nearly heresy in these here parts!

Image result for strange tales 89Related image

Checklist of goodness:

1. Monosyllabic name - check

2. Big monster on a rampage - check

3. Kirby monster pants - check

4. Bonus - anti-communist story - check

5. Double bonus - gratuitous "herb" use - check

6. Triple bonus - multi-part story & splash pages - check

The Defense rests its' case :sumo:

16,387 posts
1 hour ago, DR.X said:

BC may make a more succinct case. I'll say it does have a great cover. It’s one of those double length stories, so I suppose it’s a semi-epic. I’d probably put it in the upper echelons of pre-hero monster yarns though i don’t think it’s head and shoulders above any of the other classics. He’s been ret-conned into the Marvel Universe more than any of the other creatures barring Groot, but I always assumed part of his cache came from being singled out in The Origins of Marvel Comics. (IIRC, Stan wrote “I could never remember what his schtick was.”)

16,387 posts
53 minutes ago, *Bronze age fan* said:

Messed up the pic with the glare. 

DC69479C-DEC8-4848-9C03-9702B891C4F7.jpeg

You picked up a World of Fantasy #9; you were missing that one IIRC.

World of Suspense #1 always reminds me of a Mad Magazine drawing. There's something about the spirit on the tablecloth.

7,470 posts
1 minute ago, Pontoon said:

You picked up a World of Fantasy #9; you were missing that one IIRC.

World of Suspense #1 always reminds me of a Mad Magazine drawing. There's something about the spirit on the tablecloth.

I need World of Fantasy #7 for the set now. That’s a hard comic to find a nice VG or better copy.  

8,241 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DR.X said:

It’s all about that name, but I like that people know about him.

Edited by KirbyJack

8,241 posts
1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

He’s been ret-conned into the Marvel Universe more than any of the other creatures barring Groot

Not saying you’re wrong, but maybe Xemnu The Titan? A lot of Defenders/Hulk appearances.

2,637 posts
15 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Not saying you’re wrong, but maybe Xemnu The Titan? A lot of Defenders/Hulk appearances.

FFF has been in a lot more modern series & cartoons than I thought according to wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fin_Fang_Foom

Fin Fang Four ??? 

Guess he appeared in some form as an Easter Egg in the first Iron Man movie as well...have to look for that the next time its on.

2,637 posts
5 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Thanks Bronty!

61BnDbNA2qL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Not sure if this is funny or sad. Reminds me of the Peter Porker or Obnoxia the Clown issues.

Although the dragon circle around the "4" is pretty catchy....

25,005 posts

I understand , but I think any mainstream appearances are a good thing to be honest.   👍🏻 

16,387 posts
2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Oops. Completely forgot about him!

2,637 posts
50 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I understand , but I think any mainstream appearances are a good thing to be honest.   👍🏻 

+1

After thinking about this as I mowed the lawn for the last hour, gonna change my opinion to it is funny and you are 100% correct that any mainstream exposure this genre can get the better. Until I saw the wikipedia page, never could have imagined the amount of modern appearances FFF has made alone and as kj pointed out, that's not including Xemnu and the other cast of PHM characters.

There's an annual convention this weekend near me - other than looking for World of Fantasy issues for the guys, might have to check these out.

40,934 posts
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Just noticed something relevant to our interests; Strange Tales 89 is Officially listed in the Overstreet Top 50 silver age comics list. I think this is the first PHM to make the list without a super-hero appearance (i.e. TTA 13).

Validation, Brothers!

Right on!Now if only I didn't have one of the worst tape pulls of all time on my copy!

(repost for those fortunate enough to have never seen it lol )@fin.jpg.18c20dc595e3394bf9fff298d3672f84.jpg

Edited by porcupine48
I forgot an e

243 posts

My mother in law is big into watching cartoons on TV with Marvel characters. One of the cartoons we watched while visiting her was Guardians of the Galaxy, and included a cameo with FFF.

26,923 posts
9 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Right on!Now if only I didn't have one of the worst tape pulls of all time on my copy!

(repost for those fortunate enough to have never seen it lol )@fin.jpg.18c20dc595e3394bf9fff298d3672f84.jpg

are you experimenting again in some dark place with unproven tape removal techniques again.

40,934 posts
25 minutes ago, DR.X said:

are you experimenting again in some dark place with unproven tape removal techniques again.

:ph34r:

Deep down where monsters dwell

40,934 posts

I picked it up as a reader,place holder a long time ago-never upgraded and the prices shot up.

Maybe this will take your minds off the horror?Funny about this copy,it comes from Milpitas,the monster!

tta1Front.jpg.cd9b1725d523a391f0edfcf2d524b9e3.jpg

(I do have some pretty books,just some issues came my way at different monied times)

2,637 posts
18 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I picked it up as a reader,place holder a long time ago-never upgraded and the prices shot up.

Maybe this will take your minds off the horror?Funny about this copy,it comes from Milpitas,the monster!

tta1Front.jpg.cd9b1725d523a391f0edfcf2d524b9e3.jpg

(I do have some pretty books,just some issues came my way at different monied times)

So I was scrolling down this post and was thinking, "wow, that's a pretty sharp copy" ...  until I passed the red word circle.

Thanks for giving something to watch tonight!