• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2019 at 1:54 PM, DR.X said:

that 26 astonish is kind of tough in the higher grades, and you really don't see a ton of them at the shows.

My first pre hero Marvel :cloud9: always have a very special place in my heart.

On 12/10/2019 at 12:28 PM, mysterio said:

Speaking of JIM...nice night of bidding on a couple of them last night in the Clink auction. I whiffed on the #3, 4, and 6, as expected, but managed to land these. This completes #1-12 at the front end of the run, but my #6 is decidedly entry level.

RAD422F120191010_14472.jpg

RADDC59C20191010_15823.jpg

9 has one of my favorite Everett covers …. very difficult in that sort of grade. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

5 hours ago, bc said:

:hi:

Well, after being layed-off and turned down for dozens of jobs because of being an "overqualified" mid-50 year old, I spent some time helping a startup company get on its feet then I launched my own consulting business with the money I made from the startup. Got a couple of gigs going but unfortunately, one of them is with a firm in Mumbai, India which caused me to burn the midnight oil since I'm in the states.

Other than that, needed a break from the boards. Other than this thread and a few in the GA section (and of course your fantastic work with Pence copies & Black Circle variants :smile: ) got tired of all the speculation & BS threads. Seemed like it was becoming more about the $$$ and not about the love of the hobby or the history of the medium - so I took a hiatus.

Haven't bought anything new, but I did unsuccessfully bid on a few of the sweet PHMs in that last Heritage & CC auction (including that gorgeous Strange Worlds #3 @Rosland posted above). 

Congrats @mysterio on the awesome early JIM run!

Also a shout out to @Sweet Lou 14 on the really nice TTA run you're putting together!

I'll try and check in more often - may start adding to the Vault next year if the cash flow situation allows it.

Glad to see the gang is still posting :)

-bc

ps - no slabs in the stocking this year @KirbyJack BUT Santa brought me 1000 rounds of ammo to keep the ongoing coyote & raccoon invasion under control :devil:

Glad to hear you're OK. Looking forward to more of your postings in the future.

17 hours ago, gunsmokin said:
17 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Link?  (Thanks.)

Having a hard time with the link. Top of the gold,silver,bronze selling page on the boards

I think he closed it, but maybe PM him if you’re interested in any of them. 

On 12/26/2019 at 9:39 AM, bc said:

Well, after being layed-off and turned down for dozens of jobs because of being an "overqualified" mid-50 year old, I spent some time helping a startup company get on its feet then I launched my own consulting business with the money I made from the startup. Got a couple of gigs going but unfortunately, one of them is with a firm in Mumbai, India which caused me to burn the midnight oil since I'm in the states.

Other than that, needed a break from the boards. Other than this thread and a few in the GA section (and of course your fantastic work with Pence copies & Black Circle variants :smile: ) got tired of all the speculation & BS threads. Seemed like it was becoming more about the $$$ and not about the love of the hobby or the history of the medium - so I took a hiatus.

Haven't bought anything new, but I did unsuccessfully bid on a few of the sweet PHMs in that last Heritage & CC auction (including that gorgeous Strange Worlds #3 @Rosland posted above). 

Congrats @mysterio on the awesome early JIM run!

Also a shout out to @Sweet Lou 14 on the really nice TTA run you're putting together!

I'll try and check in more often - may start adding to the Vault next year if the cash flow situation allows it.

Glad to see the gang is still posting :)

-bc

ps - no slabs in the stocking this year @KirbyJack BUT Santa brought me 1000 rounds of ammo to keep the ongoing coyote & raccoon invasion under control :devil:

Thanks! Good to hear from you!

11 hours ago, Rosland said:

Question for the wise old ones:

How were comics released back in the pre-hero days? Once a week like today?

Not sure this is the the direct answer...the Atlas Implosion in '57 caused Stan to use Independent News (when they switched from putting "ATLAS" on the cover to "IND") as the distributor. IND was owned by DC and thus limited Stan to 8 books per month from '57 to '63-ish. Think then IND allowed 11 or 12 titles to be distributed per month. Most titles in that '57-'63 period were distributed bi-monthly on what I assume would be a weekly basis based on some data stamps I have seen but that could just be based on geography.

On 12/26/2019 at 3:39 PM, bc said:

Well, after being layed-off and turned down for dozens of jobs because of being an "overqualified" mid-50 year old...

You should try being an underqualified one :eek:

Glad to see you back bc :)