• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, bc said:

After a couple of reprints with the new name in Weird Wonder Tales, he next re-emerged in the Hulk #210 with fashionable new attire.

Cover for The Incredible Hulk (Marvel, 1968 series) #210 [Regular Edition]

-bc

Wow, this is surreal, but this issue is one of only a few dozen comics that I had as a kid, 2 to 3 dozen at most, and this issue was among them! I'll never forget this cover as long as I live! Wow, crazy! 

38 minutes ago, bc said:

Because no one demanded it!

Here's a salute to the first Marvel SA superhero (kidding aside) - Doctor Anthony Droom !

His origin appears in Amazing Adventures #1 (June 1961, 5 months before the Fantastic Four), the fifth SF anthology of the PHM era. Dr. Droom appears in Amazing Adventures 1,2,3,4 & 6.

Later on he had to change his name to Dr. Druid because Dr. Doom kept getting his mail.

Without further ado, sit back, relax and enjoy our feature presentation "The Lama's Tests"....

droom_aa1_pg1.thumb.jpg.2496d02d02ade573a9fa394178573f18.jpg

droom_aa1_pg2.thumb.jpg.091c3bf0992dc0e1f5e7d4b31abad57d.jpg

droom_aa1_pg3.thumb.jpg.5a7a995dcba39330ac97a341c97f8adf.jpg

droom_aa1_pg4.thumb.jpg.717769e089b75978ba97f597a2d32be4.jpg

droom_aa1_pg5.thumb.jpg.0fb1b9735369c8f2232c9ed25ba8c295.jpg

-bc

Thank you so much for posting these bc!!!! I haven't owned any of these issues since the mid 90s when I sold off a ton of Silver Age to get into Golden Age and I don't even remember these stories. These are a treat to see!!!  :applause:

1 hour ago, bc said:

Because no one demanded it!

Here's a salute to the first Marvel SA superhero (kidding aside) - Doctor Anthony Droom !

His origin appears in Amazing Adventures #1 (June 1961, 5 months before the Fantastic Four), the fifth SF anthology of the PHM era. Dr. Droom appears in Amazing Adventures 1,2,3,4 & 6.

Later on he had to change his name to Dr. Druid because Dr. Doom kept getting his mail.

Without further ado, sit back, relax and enjoy our feature presentation "The Lama's Tests"....

droom_aa1_pg1.thumb.jpg.2496d02d02ade573a9fa394178573f18.jpg

droom_aa1_pg2.thumb.jpg.091c3bf0992dc0e1f5e7d4b31abad57d.jpg

droom_aa1_pg3.thumb.jpg.5a7a995dcba39330ac97a341c97f8adf.jpg

droom_aa1_pg4.thumb.jpg.717769e089b75978ba97f597a2d32be4.jpg

droom_aa1_pg5.thumb.jpg.0fb1b9735369c8f2232c9ed25ba8c295.jpg

-bc

Thank you for posting that was a great read. 

On 8/22/2020 at 7:25 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

One piece of good news for you is that I'm sticking to my guns and buying only 7.0.  So there's one less shark in this tank for you to worry about.  :jaws:

FWIW just last month I tried to get a 7.0 of this book on Heritage and lost out.  Including BP, the book sold for $660.  Hope that helps you figure out what this one might go for.

Looks like that 7.0 was a smokin deal at that price, the 8.0 went for double that. And not to me. :flamed:

9 hours ago, mysterio said:

Looks like that 7.0 was a smokin deal at that price, the 8.0 went for double that. And not to me. :flamed:

I didn't win it either  :frown:.  I'm also not responsible for pushing it up to the point it ended at. My high bid was about a grand and when I placed it, it came back with that spider error thingy, so mine never technically registered. It's a beautiful copy, congratulations to the winner!  ^^

33 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

I didn't win it either  :frown:.  I'm also not responsible for pushing it up to the point it ended at. My high bid was about a grand and when I placed it, it came back with that spider error thingy, so mine never technically registered. It's a beautiful copy, congratulations to the winner!  ^^

I was the underbidder, but the winner got it for a full hundred above me. No telling what their max was, but it was stout. My bid was above my comfort zone and still didn’t get the job done. 

While surfing last night I found a 5.5 copy on Comic Connect that I ended up getting to salve the wound. Considerably less expensive than the 8.0!

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

I was the underbidder, but the winner got it for a full hundred above me. No telling what their max was, but it was stout. My bid was above my comfort zone and still didn’t get the job done. 

While surfing last night I found a 5.5 copy on Comic Connect that I ended up getting to salve the wound. Considerably less expensive than the 8.0!

Glad you picked up a copy!

Man, that 8.0 went for more than I expected - figured it would end about $1,200. My $11 tracking bid never had a chance :)

Again, it still shows our little genre has some demand out there.

-bc

Anyone have any guesses where this beauty will land in tonights CLink offerings?

Tied for current highest graded (1 of 3):

00056800892000112111231002.jpg

Currently a deal at $805 :) ...with about 10 hours to go :(

My bet is it hammers for $1750 (No I'm not bidding on this one either).

Couple of other nice PHM books start the night as well..something to watch after golf....(sitting at $1500 right now)

00193081590000110940808006.jpg

as well as this one (sitting at $733)...

RAD9B5EA202084_12207.jpg

And yes, I realize that these are not inclusive books.

Good luck to all the bidders!

-bc

4 hours ago, mysterio said:

Well I'm glad that you found a copy! I've been buying like CRAZY lately (still more to come tonight) so I didn't want to spend more than a G on it. I'll get one, might take a while, but it'll happen. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Frisco Larson said:

Well I'm glad that you found a copy! I've been buying like CRAZY lately (still more to come tonight) so I didn't want to spend more than a G on it. I'll get one, might take a while, but it'll happen. (thumbsu

I’d prefer a 6.0-7.0, but this copy will make me very happy for the time being. I’ve been spending a lot lately as well, and may have a few more bids come in by the end of the week. It’s been a great, but expensive, month for auctions!

9 hours ago, mysterio said:

I’d prefer a 6.0-7.0, but this copy will make me very happy for the time being. I’ve been spending a lot lately as well, and may have a few more bids come in by the end of the week. It’s been a great, but expensive, month for auctions!

That copy suited me just fine, a beauty, but no "9" in front so I thought I might have a shot. I'm patient, so a copy of whatever I'm looking for usually comes along and right now, these books are going strong. Maybe bc posting them here gave them a little extra heat, hard to say. I just watched the TOS & TTA books go CRAZY tonight, put my wallet back in my pocket and said nope. There'll be another time. 

9 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

That copy suited me just fine, a beauty, but no "9" in front so I thought I might have a shot. I'm patient, so a copy of whatever I'm looking for usually comes along and right now, these books are going strong. Maybe bc posting them here gave them a little extra heat, hard to say. I just watched the TOS & TTA books go CRAZY tonight, put my wallet back in my pocket and said nope. There'll be another time. 

Hard to say these books needed any more heat than they already had going for them.

And yes, the hammer prices demonstrate a healthy PHM market (and proves that I'd be a loser on "The Price is Right").
Some of the closings from last nights Clink auction:

TOS #8, CGC 9.0 $2,731

TTA #17, CGC 9.2 $2,661 (so much for my $1,750 guess :( )

TTA #20, CGC 9.0 $2,200

TTA #31, CGC 9.0 $1,355

TTA #32, CGC 9.0 $1,875

-bc

1 hour ago, bc said:

Hard to say these books needed any more heat than they already had going for them.

And yes, the hammer prices demonstrate a healthy PHM market (and proves that I'd be a loser on "The Price is Right").
Some of the closings from last nights Clink auction:

TOS #8, CGC 9.0 $2,731

TTA #17, CGC 9.2 $2,661 (so much for my $1,750 guess :( )

TTA #20, CGC 9.0 $2,200

TTA #31, CGC 9.0 $1,355

TTA #32, CGC 9.0 $1,875

-bc

Well to be fair, I said  Maybe bc posting them here gave them a little extra heat, hard to say.  not that it surely DID. I also think it's fair to say that it didn't HURT the end result.  lol  Regardless of HOW the buyers found the books, I think we can all agree that they found the hell out of them!!! Congratulations to all who managed to grab anything from that buying frenzy!!! The only one happy at my house is my wallet, as I got nothin' outta that bunch. :/