• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Slow going on the PHM front, but I did manage to grab one this morning ...

Sweet, Sweet Lou.  Did you ever notice that Overstreet calls it an Iron Man prototype issue?  I’m glad CGC didn’t put that on the label.  The worst “prototype” issue in my opinion is this Hulk one in TTA #21.  He’s not anything like Banner

Tales to Astonish #21.jpg

1 hour ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Sweet, Sweet Lou.  Did you ever notice that Overstreet calls it an Iron Man prototype issue?  I’m glad CGC didn’t put that on the label.  The worst “prototype” issue in my opinion is this Hulk one in TTA #21.  He’s not anything like Banner

I did see that!  I know there are some pretty flimsy "prototype" claims on some of these books, some of which get @bc pretty fired up.  Where's my spare torch and pitchfork?  :whatthe:

2 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Figured I'd stop by and say hello. This is the first time I've logged in to the boards in probably 4-5 months. I've been following the posts in here, but have missed interacting with my PHM bretheren. I did pick up a book recently that I wanted to show off, so I figured that this was a good time to pop back in to the thread. This book got me to #1-18 on my run, down to 15 books left in my graded #1-82 run (14 if you consider my low grade raw #49).

Welcome back.  I’m a huge fan of the early Bill Everett covers for JIM and they are definitely on my want list.  I’ll probably only get 1.5-2.5 grade copies though cause I’m cheap.  Ha ha

Just now, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Welcome back.  I’m a huge fan of the early Bill Everett covers for JIM and they are definitely on my want list.  I’ll probably only get 1.5-2.5 grade copies though cause I’m cheap.  Ha ha

Thanks! His covers are fantastic, I've always appreciated them but have really come to seek them out recently. 

On 11/22/2020 at 12:40 PM, 1950's war comics said:

a great run to work on over ones lifetime !!!!!!!(worship)

Can't imagine working on it pre-internet. Working on pre-hero TTA and TOS was bad enough, and those are reasonably common for PHM! Even with the internet some of these JIM books are still super difficult. I don't think I've ever seen any of the ones I am missing in person, and I have been digging boxes at shows since the late 80s.

Anyone here win the JIM #46 CGC 9.0 last night? I was the underbidder at a level I didn't want to go to, but am still a bit bummed I didn't get it (even though I didn't seriously think I had a chance).

I did score this upgrade from MCS (shameless plug, sales thread of several undercopies coming soon):

JIM49CGCs.jpg

Edited by mysterio

On 11/22/2020 at 10:38 AM, mysterio said:

Thanks! His covers are fantastic, I've always appreciated them but have really come to seek them out recently. 

I just bought a graded unrestored 2.5 Journey into Mystery #6.  It's my favorite cover in the series and I can't wait to get it in the mail.  The seller first listed it for $950 and I offered $800, which they accepted.  I know it seems like a lot for a low grade copy, but it's such a classic cover.  I have a feeling this is going to start a chain reaction for me to try and build a run of early JIM's.  I currently have #50-87 straight with only about 5 issues before these.

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

10 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I just bought a graded unrestored 2.5 Journey into Mystery #6.  It's my favorite cover in the series and I can't wait to get it in the mail.  The seller first listed it for $950 and I offered $800, which they accepted.  I know it seems like a lot for a low grade copy, but it's such a classic cover.  I have a feeling this is going to start a chain reaction for me to try and build a run of early JIM's.  I currently have #50-86 straight with only about 5 issues before these.

That is a very fair price for a 2.5 in my experience, congratulations!

Mixed success bidding on auctions this week.  A couple of the PHM books I bid on went for much higher than I was expecting, but I did manage to score one today.

577159275_TalesofSuspense14CGC7.0.thumb.jpg.8119d539d2922cdeaf1bd3cb9cc23a75.jpg

Every copy of this book that I've seen available has had at least some degree of tanning along the edges ... the photo of this one isn't great so I'm hoping it's not too bad in hand.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

16 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I was hoping you'd say that, Mysterio.  This was one the photos on eBay.  I'll post a better scan later.

s-l500.jpg

Great eye appeal for a 2.5, and the price per point is right about what I paid on my 3.5. I'd say you got a very solid deal on the book. Other than the #1 this is likely the most expensive pre-hero in the run.