• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I'm going to send this one into CGC next month.

Tales of Suspense #01.jpg

Go for it!

I keep saying the same thing about my TTA1 (along with my Yellow Claw 1) but just never get around to it. Now that I'm planning on moving in the next few months & the postal delays here in Ohio, probably won't happen anytime soon.

Good Luck with the Slabbing!

-bc

8 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

My #2 was very reasonable ($150) a couple of years ago and was a lot less than #13.  I got it on eBay.  What types of grades are you going for?

Tales to Astonish #02.jpg

That's a nice looking book. I almost bought a very nice looking #2 a number of years back at a wizard con, but it wasn't cheap (it was a VF copy). In retrospect I wish had pulled the trigger on it. 

I try to find books in Fine condition or better, but I have gradually been lowering my target over the years into the VG range. My wife thinks I should just get any decent copy of a book I need (meaning Good or better), and then I can upgrade it at a later date.

4 minutes ago, Mucheee1 said:

That's a nice looking book. I almost bought a very nice looking #2 a number of years back at a wizard con, but it wasn't cheap (it was a VF copy). In retrospect I wish had pulled the trigger on it. 

I try to find books in Fine condition or better, but I have gradually been lowering my target over the years into the VG range. My wife thinks I should just get any decent copy of a book I need (meaning Good or better), and then I can upgrade it at a later date.

Your wife and I think alike.  I don't accept incomplete copies into my collection though.

17 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Your wife and I think alike.  I don't accept incomplete copies into my collection though.

She likes the books that have good eye appeal, but might have a hidden defect, like a spine split. A number of years ago she bought a Batman 3 that had nice eye appeal but spine splits at the top and bottom of the book, and it was cheap. The cover looked more like a VG/F, but paid the Good price.

28 minutes ago, Mucheee1 said:

FYI - a TTA2 in 7.5 went for $1,400 last night on Clink. 

Appears our little genre is on some other parties radar as well (which is both good and bad depending on how you look at it :) )

-bc

9 minutes ago, bc said:

FYI - a TTA2 in 7.5 went for $1,400 last night on Clink. 

Appears our little genre is on some other parties radar as well (which is both good and bad depending on how you look at it :) )

-bc

Yeah, the one I almost bought was around $600. I think it was at the Philly Wizard Con in 2013, and I think Greg Reece was the seller.

The high price on TTA 13 is annoying. Every time I thought about buying it, I said to myself "it's just a stupid talking tree, I can wait"

8 minutes ago, Mucheee1 said:

Yeah, the one I almost bought was around $600. I think it was at the Philly Wizard Con in 2013, and I think Greg Reece was the seller.

The high price on TTA 13 is annoying. Every time I thought about buying it, I said to myself "it's just a stupid talking tree, I can wait"

I'm in the same boat with Strange Tales #89 (1st Fin Fang Foom).  A Universal 3.0 is $1000.

14 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

This one's kind of pricey because of the Aunt May and Uncle Ben appearance.  What do you think bc?  Does this qualify as the 1st appearance of Aunt May?  I think it has a prototype for her wheatcake recipe too.

Strange Tales #097.jpg

Of all the so-called "prototypes" attributed to PHM books, I can actually sort of buy into this one.

Have the same names - check (minus the Parker surname)

Look the same - check (although I sill think Ditko (& Kirby) had several "stock body styles" and these two are prime examples)

Care for a teenager with issues - check

Sorry that I can't be my usual raving lunatic about this prototype :)

-bc

22 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I'm in the same boat with Strange Tales #89 (1st Fin Fang Foom).  A Universal 3.0 is $1000.

Wow that's amazing.

Sometimes it's all about timing. 

Bought my copy many years ago for a tenth of that price in Australian dollars.

Screenshot_20210123-122728.thumb.png.41f97fc340a5aa23a471f81a6af944ab.png

11 minutes ago, southern cross said:

Wow that's amazing.

Sometimes it's all about timing. 

Bought my copy many years ago for a tenth of that price in Australian dollars.

Screenshot_20210123-122728.thumb.png.41f97fc340a5aa23a471f81a6af944ab.png

I bought a raw one at WonderCon in SF years ago for $250 and sent it in a year ago to get graded.  It came back 4.5 and trimmed!  I had no idea it was restored, so I sold it immediately.  I wish I remembered who sold it to me.