• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would You Purchase?

31 posts in this topic

Not to be ignorant but I still don't get it. I don't see how someone else having a book and building a collection would make that book more desireable. What is the difference from a book in the same grade, same page quality etc that is just some random joe blow book, versus this one over here that sat in a specific collection for X amount of time. I'm certainly not trying to on anyone that enjoys this because someone not in to comics at all would probably think collecting any CGC book is crazy, but yeah, I really don't get the pedigree appeal.

Part of the appeal of many old comics to me is the historical snapshot they give. Yes, I'm interested in the stories inside. And the cover and design are important on an aesthetic level. But a major reason for me to buy, say, Golden Age books from WWII is to see how the war was portrayed at the time, to see what people at the time were reading, how comics were both reflecting and shaping ideas about the war, etc. If we all just wanted to read the stories, after all, we could just view scans online. but a comic is more than the stories, it's a physical artifact. For this reason, I like date stamps and owner's names written on the cover or first page and stuff (within reason).

So to have a pedigree book is to know the story of the comic itself. Some of these pedigrees I don't care about the story behind them. A kid bought them and put them in his basement for 50 years? That's not much of a story.

Others, though, have much more interesting stories. The Okajima collection was put together by a Japanese-American girl who was sent to an internment camp during World War II. She read and carefully collected comics as an escape from the reality of being stuck in a prison camp. The fact that many of the comics she bought were about the war and often prominently featured Japanese stereotypes and caricatures in the stories and on the covers adds another level of human interest to the comics.

For example, a copy I do not own myself - an Okajima Captain America showing Cap wailing on Japanese soldiers:

cap.jpg

Seeing the name "Okajima" on the cover - usually accompanied by a hand written date - just adds a lot for me to the story behind the comic. Knowing this girl owned the same copy you own, and read it in a prison camp, that's a big thing for some people, including myself. I'd love to have some of these books some day.

quite compelling story, and now I want one too. Congrats, you've brought in more people to compete against you in the race for Okajima Pedigrees!

That was the most, and really only helpful reply in regards for me understanding some of the appeal, so thank you for that. That makes it make a little more sense to me. Interesting...

Actually one of the comics I mentioned IS on World Wide Comics (a site I've purchased from and enjoy). Two of the comics are middling grade , 7.5 and 8.0, however they are the only copies graded. At some point I might try to negotiate with the sellers but I definitely have an aversion to paying over guide regardless of Pedigree.

I think its pretty ridiculous since its just someone looking at a cgc holder. I figured most of you guys here would feel the same.

A lot of the Captain Marvel Adventure comics in my collection are part of the Crowley Collection. William Crowley had been the editor of Fawcett and collected two of most issues of Fawcett comics so in this case the Pedigree has a direct link to one of the comics creators. I used to not like that some of the comics had a big FILE COPY stamped on the front but these are part of the history of the company and CGC doesn't seem to ding comics grade wise because of the stamp.

Based on my experience these Crowley copies garner little to no premium in price but I like them although I don't go out of my way to acquire them. It's just that Crowley managed to keep his comics in really good shape and Crowley copies are often the highest grade available.

My experience with Mile High is that all of there comics are over priced, from the top to the bottom.... I've seen some pedigrees go aggressively more, while others, not so much... But Mile High, in general, always seems to be asking more than anyone..... anywhere.... I stay away...

My experience with Mile High is that all of there comics are over priced, from the top to the bottom.... I've seen some pedigrees go aggressively more, while others, not so much... But Mile High, in general, always seems to be asking more than anyone..... anywhere.... I stay away...

are you talking about the pedigree or the shop?

You are talking about the shop (agreed) I believe we are talking about the Edgar Church (Mile High) Pedigree.

Also I think at most Silver Age Pedigree interest has plateaued due to the additional new pedigrees over the last 5 years (ROcky Mtn, Susha News, Savannah, Twin Cities) which introduced 55,000 new pedigree books to the market (mostly from the Savannah collection)

Golden Age interest I think has stayed pretty steady. And considering there's only been 1 new Golden Age Pedigree found/established in the last 5 years (Billy Wright) and it only had 340 books in the collection, the over all GA pedigree demand still out paces the supply.

This is dead on.

Silver Pedigrees will be added regularly in the coming years, new pedigrees will hit the market more books of existing peds will be released (how big was Suscha?) - so in my opinion SA peds don't deserve a guide book multiplier.

GA pedigrees are more of a known quantity, the chance of another Church is zero in my opinion - who is sitting on a collection of OO GA books 70+ yrs. later.

The chance of another Spokane, Bethlehem or Northford is a slight possibility, but probably still extremely low.

Since Church hit the market in the 70's nothing has surpassed it. The back story adds mystique and glamor that has value, the quality adds value, the desirability adds value. But don't buy a Lash LaRue at 3x book, buy a book with some inherent demand and desirability if you do and you pay 2x-3x book because it is a Church you will not lose money.

Also, there is something amazing about some peds. I just bought a White Mountain Marvel Tales 121 - I opened it is smelled fresh, like the day it was printed 60 yrs. ago.

Worth every penny to me.

Johnny

Are pedigrees even important anymore. One of my books from my New Mutants collection came back a 9.8. Is my book that I bought off the rack anymore important or more special then a mile high book. A pedigree before CGC meant something. If you were buying one of those books, everyone knew you were getting a top of the line book. These days when you can get a 9.8, how special is knowing that it is part of the curator pedigree, or even the Golden State collection which isn't even a pedigree. I have a pedigree but after it was signed lost it's pedigree status. i really should look into that, but as far as paying two to three times guide for a mile high copy, the only way i would do that is if it was the only book available in let's say a New Mutants #58 in a 9.8.

Great subject matter.

Also I think at most Silver Age Pedigree interest has plateaued due to the additional new pedigrees over the last 5 years (ROcky Mtn, Susha News, Savannah, Twin Cities) which introduced 55,000 new pedigree books to the market (mostly from the Savannah collection)

Golden Age interest I think has stayed pretty steady. And considering there's only been 1 new Golden Age Pedigree found/established in the last 5 years (Billy Wright) and it only had 340 books in the collection, the over all GA pedigree demand still out paces the supply.

This is dead on.

Silver Pedigrees will be added regularly in the coming years, new pedigrees will hit the market more books of existing peds will be released (how big was Suscha?) - so in my opinion SA peds don't deserve a guide book multiplier.

GA pedigrees are more of a known quantity, the chance of another Church is zero in my opinion - who is sitting on a collection of OO GA books 70+ yrs. later.

The chance of another Spokane, Bethlehem or Northford is a slight possibility, but probably still extremely low.

Since Church hit the market in the 70's nothing has surpassed it. The back story adds mystique and glamor that has value, the quality adds value, the desirability adds value. But don't buy a Lash LaRue at 3x book, buy a book with some inherent demand and desirability if you do and you pay 2x-3x book because it is a Church you will not lose money.

Also, there is something amazing about some peds. I just bought a White Mountain Marvel Tales 121 - I opened it is smelled fresh, like the day it was printed 60 yrs. ago.

Worth every penny to me.

Johnny

I do love the back story of a pedigree, I will admit that. The curator got my attention which is why I mentioned it, but considering my main collection is from the copper to modern age I don't look for pedigrees. Pretty cool about your Marvel Tales though.

A Mile High Comic at 2 to 3 times guide

There are lots of Pedigree's and from my experience most are priced just about exactly the same as non-Pedigree comics. There might be a slight bump but not much over 5%. However, Mile High comics are priced generally at 2 to 3x guide. There are at least three examples I have in mind of a comic priced at over 2x guide because they are Mile High and they have sat there for at least several years. You might think these are just sellers fishing but I don't get the impression this is the case. I think the sellers truly believe these prices are possible even as the comics sit there.

If I were to speculate I would say the Mile High comics were at one time quite desirable but with the influx of other Pedigrees the interest has waned and sellers haven't caught on. Would anyone here spend 2 to 3x guide for the privilege of owning a part of the Mile High collection? Am I simply not recognizing the glory and majesty of Mile High? For me there are just too many other opportunities available to be plunking down a monster premium for a Mile High comic.

See more journals by David Swan

Depending on the book, 2-3 times guide might be a steal. I have routinely bought & sold 100's of Mile Highs for 4 to 12 times guide from 1989 to 2013. The multiples have softened over the years, but like everything, it comes and goes in waves. The low point was probably 2010-2011. They seem to be on the rise again.