• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

How about Avengers #66,67,68 ?

#67 is the first Ultron cover appearance and much harder to find in high grade than #55.

The first three Ultron stories are all great reads. #54-55, #58-59 and #66-68. #66 always seemed like a sleeper to me, being the first appearance of adamantium and very early Barry Windsor Smith art. And the first Ultron cover, #67, is a fantastic one.

:grin:..... [font:Times New Roman]Hey, looks like this puppy'll be grandfathered in...[/font] :whee:

a9c979f1-b019-435a-bfb7-817b1fdddf8c_zpsfe83945f.jpg

General public does not believe that the Golden Age of comics even existed.

:grin:..... [font:Times New Roman]Hey, looks like this puppy'll be grandfathered in...[/font] :whee:

a9c979f1-b019-435a-bfb7-817b1fdddf8c_zpsfe83945f.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]There's plenty of time to educate 'em! [/font] (thumbs u

General public – in the US – does not even know other comics exist other than those created in the US, for what matters. ;)

General public of the US cannot find the state they live in on a map of the US.

:facepalm:

General public – in the US – does not even know other comics exist other than those created in the US, for what matters. ;)

To some extent that may be true, mostly because many U.S. citizens aren't multi-lingual, but given the popularity of Heavy Metal (Metal Hurlant) back in the 70's & 80's I'd say the international comic art inspired numerous Indie artists and publications in the 90's and beyond. At least that's my impression. (shrug)

To some extent that may be true, mostly because many U.S. citizens aren't multi-lingual, but given the popularity of Heavy Metal (Metal Hurlant) back in the 70's & 80's I'd say the international comic art inspired numerous Indie artists and publications in the 90's and beyond. At least that's my impression. (shrug)

And that speaks volumes, as the Heavy Metal material is very "modern", and fostered from the experimentations of the french "nouvelle vague" of the 1970s.

Buzzetta spoke of the GA, and I was speaking specifically of european productions like the french one, or our own. We started to have an italian school in the 1930s, and France already did earlier (early Tintin is an example), and also most of the "golden age" Japanese production is unknown both in the english-speaking world and in the rest of Europe.

This one, for example, is a 1957 original Astro Boy Shonen supplement, which was both rewritten and redrawn in subsequent reprints (including the one published in the US by Dark Horse):

PoizhU6h.jpg

And this 1939 album collects one of the earliest italian Disney stories, written by Federico Pedrocchi. Our Disney production started in the 1930s, bloomed in the early 1950s and produced an amount of material that is unthinkable by american standards:

8CqafnJh.jpg

Just what we need, yet another movie with Transformer-like robots. When I think of all the classic Avenger villians, Ultron is pretty low on my list of "must see on the big screen", mostly because the robots in recent movies all look the same and I suspect Ultron won't be any different.

He better look like Ultron!!!

-slym

How about Avengers #66,67,68 ?

#67 is the first Ultron cover appearance and much harder to find in high grade than #55.

The first three Ultron stories are all great reads. #54-55, #58-59 and #66-68. #66 always seemed like a sleeper to me, being the first appearance of adamantium and very early Barry Windsor Smith art. And the first Ultron cover, #67, is a fantastic one.

What was the 1st Ultron made from?

General public of the US cannot find the state they live in on a map of the US.

:facepalm:

I can say I am equally ashamed as I know little of Italy’s geography… :blush:

But you can find yourself on a map. Some people cannot even do that. As far as comic collectors and Golden Age. I would think that the average collector knows that there were old Batman and Superman books and probably Captain America on the Marve/Timelyl Side of things.. Smarter collectors would know that there were other DC heroes like Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern.

I doubt the average collector knows about Nedor books, Golden Age Daredevil, Sub Mariner, Fawcet publications, Jungle books and things like that.

Just what we need, yet another movie with Transformer-like robots. When I think of all the classic Avenger villians, Ultron is pretty low on my list of "must see on the big screen", mostly because the robots in recent movies all look the same and I suspect Ultron won't be any different.

-slym

Ultron is going to be amazing!

3162836-0250373901-Ultra_zpsf481de4a.jpg

:insane:

-slym

Ultron is going to be amazing!

3162836-0250373901-Ultra_zpsf481de4a.jpg

:insane:

Yea man, WGBS early sunday mornings, about 1981

Ultraman

But you can find yourself on a map. Some people cannot even do that. As far as comic collectors and Golden Age. I would think that the average collector knows that there were old Batman and Superman books and probably Captain America on the Marve/Timelyl Side of things.. Smarter collectors would know that there were other DC heroes like Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern.

I doubt the average collector knows about Nedor books, Golden Age Daredevil, Sub Mariner, Fawcet publications, Jungle books and things like that.

In fact, outside the US the Golden Age comic books production is very little known, as opposed to the 1930s and 1940s syndicate classic heroes (like Phantom, Mandrake, Flash Gordon et al.).

Up to two years ago I knew almost nothing of the GA of comic books, now it has been an amazing journey (also for my wallet) but I can navigate.

But I own no Timely yet… too expensive. :(

Anyone recommend any Ultron story arcs to read?

I want to read up on Ultron before the movie comes out.

Me too....also what trades might be good to pick up. Not paying the crazy prices for the back issues!