• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

Anyone recommend any Ultron story arcs to read?

I want to read up on Ultron before the movie comes out.

Me too....also what trades might be good to pick up. Not paying the crazy prices for the back issues!

Yeah,same here.

Personally, I think this movie speculation is just ridiculous. I remember when it all first started a few years ago that I actually didn't believe a movie could swing prices like this.

Last year you couldn't give away an Avengers #55 in any grade and now they're going off the shelf at large multiples of surrounding issues?

:facepalm:

It's the most volatile reaction I've seen to a movie announcement.

I've always bought books for resale when the value is there although I don't recollect targeting any specific "hot" books.

I just don't think it's great for the market in general.

Me too....also what trades might be good to pick up. Not paying the crazy prices for the back issues!

Ultron Unlimited TP, Busiek / Perez

Ultron Unlimited TP, Busiek / Perez

That is great.

Personally, I think this movie speculation is just ridiculous. I remember when it all first started a few years ago that I actually didn't believe a movie could swing prices like this.

Last year you couldn't give away an Avengers #55 in any grade and now they're going off the shelf at large multiples of surrounding issues?

I've always bought books for resale when the value is there although I don't recollect targeting any specific "hot" books.

Translation = missed boat

:foryou:

Translation = missed boat

:foryou:

Me? Naw, I never tried to get on the boat so I couldn't have missed it..

I had boardies telling me as early as March that they were chasing Ultron books for resale and I also saw the threads about it. I didn't pick up a single one.

I've been lucky a few times. For example, I was well stocked on IM #55's when the Avengers movie announcement came, but that was just lucky co-incidence.

Do you think collector interest is driving up the price or dealers' anticipation of collector interest? I've always felt the latter, but I don't deal. You guys see who really buys the books.

I have a bunch of early Avengers in 9.8 white that are not worth squat from their all time highs. Speculating on this book for what reason? The rule has always been "buy on the hype, sell on the news". If you like Ultron then great! You should already have it. If you're buying on spec.... I would wait until a year after the movie. It's already 40 years old, what's another few years.

ASM 121 122 did the same thing. I can't find a white 9.8 121 now and it has nothing to do with spec on the movie. The X-Men movie. Same thing. But not like Ultron. I don't get it...

How many years did no one care about Dr. Strange. Now look at the pricing of ST110. It will come back down, but not for years.

ST135. I bought that one. Apparently no one cares about the series :)

It will end like the crash in the '90s ended.

...fortunately. :whee:

Don't know if it will do any good. Marvel has taken a lot of liberty these days with story lines and characters. :(

For those asking what Ultron stories to read, most any Ultron story up until 1980 is worth reading. They are all pretty great.

Avengers #54-55 is a classic, of course. #57-58 is even more epic, with the first appearance of Vision and the origin of both Vision and Ultron.

#66-68 is great, with the first appearance of adamantium and BWS art. Some great stuff with Vision in these issues. This is the first time he does the whole "walk through a person to disrupt them" thing and BWS makes it look really cool:

Vision-in-avengers-66.jpg

Plus #67 has the first Ultron cover, and it's a classic:

detail.jpg

Avengers #127 and FF #150 is a two part Ultron story with the wedding of Quicksilver and Crystal. Not quite as good as the other stories, but still cool, especially if you like the FF. Avengers #135 has an expanded origin of the Vision with an Ultron cover.

Avengers #161-162 is one of the coolest Avengers stories of all time, with Ultron seemingly killing half the team and the other half launching a suicide strike on him to rescue the Wasp - who is being turned into Jocasta. Obviously, first appearance of Jocasta in this story as well, plus amazeballs George Perez art.

avengers-162-08.jpg

avengers-162-13.jpg

Ultron and Jocasta appeared in a follow-up story in #170-171 that is cool. It's part of the Korvac Saga as well.

After those original awesome storylines, it's kind of hit or miss. Most of them don't match his earlier appearances. But the Kurt Busiek/George Perez stuff in vol. 3 #19-22 is epic and definitely worth a read:

ultron6.jpg

Marvel Secret Wars (first run) has some excellent Ultron story/art by Zeck. I distinctly remember reading those in the 1980s and being very impressed with him as a villain (I wasn't up on the Avengers so SWars was my first time reading about Ultron). I tried to figure out his first appearance and couldn't do it so I pretty much skipped it.

Same thing with Molecule Man. From Secret Wars, I thought he was a pretty decent villain. But Ultron was very cool there.

Whedon puts focus on Hawkeye and Black Widow. Given that Joss Whedon often makes use of a shocking and unexpected death, do you think either Hawkeye or Black Widow is in danger of being written out sometime during Avengers 2 or 3?

1) Not the Widow. Too many fanboys would be ledge leaping.

2) They'll kill off Hawkeye and bring him back as Ant-Man.

Will the Scarlet Witch wear her famous red cowl?

No. She might wear a headband or something that might echo it.

The guys at Marvel, the conceptual artists, are phenomenal, and they are so good at taking the essence of what works and interpreting it for the actual human body, and when they paint something you can not only tell how it’s gonna work on a person, you can even tell what fabric it’ll be. They are very specific, very talented. So I’m excited to see the designs.

Obviously we want to echo the look that people know, but there’s the classic look and the Ultimates look, but you have to do it in a way that will work. But it can’t be too old school… she can’t wear a leotard.