• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

Whedon puts focus on Hawkeye and Black Widow. Given that Joss Whedon often makes use of a shocking and unexpected death, do you think either Hawkeye or Black Widow is in danger of being written out sometime during Avengers 2 or 3?

1) Not the Widow. Too many fanboys would be ledge leaping.

2) They'll kill off Hawkeye and bring him back as Ant-Man.

Speaking at a Nerd HQ Q&A (via MTV), Whedon had this to say:

"Natasha is a huge part of the sequel because you do want to concentrate on the people who don't have their own franchises. Although she in 'Cap 2,' [and] she's great. She was the most fun for me because she's not a hero, you know, and it's something that I read—and I feel bad that I can't remember who wrote the book—but it's in one of the books explaining, 'These guys are heroes, you are a spy. It's a different thing—it's a different skill set—and you don't have their moral high ground or any of that good stuff.' And that just makes her so interesting to me. So yeah, the stuff I've got going on with her in the second one is killer."

hm

Whedon puts focus on Hawkeye and Black Widow. Given that Joss Whedon often makes use of a shocking and unexpected death, do you think either Hawkeye or Black Widow is in danger of being written out sometime during Avengers 2 or 3?

1) Not the Widow. Too many fanboys would be ledge leaping.

2) They'll kill off Hawkeye and bring him back as Ant-Man.

Speaking at a Nerd HQ Q&A (via MTV), Whedon had this to say:

"Natasha is a huge part of the sequel because you do want to concentrate on the people who don't have their own franchises. Although she in 'Cap 2,' [and] she's great. She was the most fun for me because she's not a hero, you know, and it's something that I read—and I feel bad that I can't remember who wrote the book—but it's in one of the books explaining, 'These guys are heroes, you are a spy. It's a different thing—it's a different skill set—and you don't have their moral high ground or any of that good stuff.' And that just makes her so interesting to me. So yeah, the stuff I've got going on with her in the second one is killer."

hm

I linked to the source article (at MTV). Wouldn't it be weird if Whedon actually said "the stuff I've got going with her in the second one is 'kill her' " and they transcribed the spoken "kill 'er" as "killer?" I doubt it, but you know how you hear things.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron Adds Korean Actress Kim Soo Hyun

We know they’ll be filming in Korea, and now we know at least one actor who will be acting in those scenes. Probably. Korean actress Kim Soo Hyun has been rumored to be part of the Avengers: Age of Ultron cast for a couple of months now, but as filming commences and her deal presumably closes, she’s spoken out publicly about it.

But don’t get too excited, she doesn’t offer up any juicy plot details

Mantis? (shrug)

Could be. I put this Marvel's Asian Characters - Mantis #26

together with this...

...Eventually, Mantis reappeared in the Steve Englehart written "Avengers: Celestial Quest" mini-series. She returns to Earth and merges with her remaining fragmented portions of her personality (which we learn represent "freak, mother, prostitute, mystic and Avenger") after the first four are killed by Thanos (later retroactively declared to be a clone of the real Thanos). The final Mantis was merged with them to become a "complete" Mantis for the first time since her dispersion. Thus reformed, she and a group of the Avengers went into space to stop "Thanos" from killing her son, who by this time was a rebellious teenager desperate to leave the isolation of the Coati homeworld and travel the stars. Mantis flirted with Vision (with it implied that she had sex with him) during the adventure but ultimately ended the flirting when she realized that Vision had feelings for his estranged wife Scarlet Witch, who was jealous of Mantis and Vision's friendship. She was one of many Avengers who opposed an insane Scarlet Witch before the team disbanded.

Annihilation

Mantis later went to space where she foresaw a vision about the Annihilation Wave. She let herself be imprisoned so she could wait for the arrival of Star-Lord Peter Quill and help him on his mission. She played a big role in a waging guerrilla warfare against the Phalanx often saving Quill and their teammates from danger and even accepted that she would likely die in the process. She was severely injured by an Ultron-formed Phalanx, but barely survived and was carried to safety by Star-Lord and their remaining teammates Bug and Rocket Raccoon.

War of Kings

She eventually recovered from her injuries and agreed to help Quill in forming the Guardians of the Galaxy by psychically influencing Drax, Phyla-Vell, Gamora, and a newly resurrected Adam Warlock to join their struggling attempts to reestablish the galaxy's balance and order after the events of the Annihilation waves. Mantis recorded all of the team's actions and achievements and attempted to help a discovered, reality-displaced Vance Astro in his amnesia but has so far been unsuccessful in doing so. She and Astro were assaulted by a alternate-reality traveling Starhawk and were left with the mystery to why he attacked them in the first place. When the team was threatened by paranoia and superstition after discovering a potential infiltration by the skrulls, Mantis opposed Star-Lord in their mental violations against their teammates. Although they managed to eventually incapacitate Starhawk, she and Quill were acquainted with new problems. Once their teammates discovered Mantis's and Star-Lord's actions against their minds, they left in opposition leaving the future operations of the Guardians of the Galaxy unknown.

At the conclusion of War of Kings, Magus killed several members of the Guardians of Galaxy, included Mantis. However, it was soon revealed that this was all a trick and that the Magus hadn't actually killed anyone. Rather, he kidnapped the supposedly dead Guardians in an elaborate escape plan. Mantis and her teammates were eventually rescued by the other Guardians of the Galaxy and joined them to fight the Cancerverse.

Mantis - Marvel Wikia

and drew my conclusion. Any other guesses?

Just because she's asian, doesn't mean she'll be playing a character that's asian in the comics. She could be Misty Knight ;)

She'd make a great Ms. Marvel. Let's be honest, she's pretty cute. :blush:

Very true. I was just going for the lowest hanging fruit to throw out a guess.

I am thinking Mantis as well - she is tied to GotG, as the wiki states above. (She also showed up in the new Marvel Now! GotG - but they haven't done much with her at all)

I'd be bummed if she were Ms. Marvel - not because she's Asian, but because she doesn't embody all of those qualities that make Carol Danvers who she is (at least to me). I see Ms. Marvel being someone with a stronger, more confident (read: less cutsie) demeanor. I couldn't care less about skin color, just don't give me some adorable school girl in a miniskirt. Carol Danvers ran ops with Wolverine. She has to be somewhat of a badass.

That's true, she'd definitely need to put on some muscle...

hm

Okay Balls, you've just talked me out of it. lol

(worship)

Next stop: Marvel producers.

If I worked in hollywood i would stock up on nothing books, announce a movie featuring that book, sell them then make the actual movie

hm

(worship)

lol We'd definitely shake things up. :sumo:

According to this article, she'll be a villainess.

hm

(worship)

If it is Mantis, her part might draw from "The Crossing" storyline.

Aside from mentions by Silver Surfer, Mantis did not reappear until 1995's controversial Avengers crossover story "The Crossing". In "The Crossing", Mantis returned as the villainous bride of Kang the Conqueror with the intentions of bringing death to the Avengers, her father Libra (who by now was going by the name "Moonraker" as part of Force Works), and the Cotati alien who had possessed the Swordsman's body and married/impregnated her. Her anger at her father (whom she had vivisected) and the Cotati centered around their "defilement" of her and that she hated the Avengers for believing their manipulative lies.

The storyline was controversial, so much so that Kurt Busiek ultimately retconned the Mantis who appeared in the story as being a Space Phantom brainwashed into thinking he was Mantis.

Marvel Wikia - Mantis

...Other than that, I have no idea.

Personally, I think this movie speculation is just ridiculous. I remember when it all first started a few years ago that I actually didn't believe a movie could swing prices like this.

Last year you couldn't give away an Avengers #55 in any grade and now they're going off the shelf at large multiples of surrounding issues?

:facepalm:

It's the most volatile reaction I've seen to a movie announcement.

I've always bought books for resale when the value is there although I don't recollect targeting any specific "hot" books.

I just don't think it's great for the market in general.

Do you think collector interest is driving up the price or dealers' anticipation of collector interest? I've always felt the latter, but I don't deal. You guys see who really buys the books.
As a dealer I can say that most of the sales of these books are flippers, with some collectors. But the majority of sales are people flipping, hoarding to flip, and a few collectors that believe the hype. Think, if you will. Avengers 54 and 55 were books that were ALWAYS boat anchors, now they are hot. Same as Groot, GOTG, etc.. The speculation game is dangerous for the hobby, and it bothers me that people getting back into the hobby will be left holding the bag on these books. If you can get the books to flip, go for it. But don't be caught holding them.

hm

(worship)

If it is Mantis, her part might draw from "The Crossing" storyline.

Aside from mentions by Silver Surfer, Mantis did not reappear until 1995's controversial Avengers crossover story "The Crossing". In "The Crossing", Mantis returned as the villainous bride of Kang the Conqueror with the intentions of bringing death to the Avengers, her father Libra (who by now was going by the name "Moonraker" as part of Force Works), and the Cotati alien who had possessed the Swordsman's body and married/impregnated her. Her anger at her father (whom she had vivisected) and the Cotati centered around their "defilement" of her and that she hated the Avengers for believing their manipulative lies.

The storyline was controversial, so much so that Kurt Busiek ultimately retconned the Mantis who appeared in the story as being a Space Phantom brainwashed into thinking he was Mantis.

Marvel Wikia - Mantis

...Other than that, I have no idea.

Enchantress, Madame Masque...? (shrug)