• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

Talk about a class act.

Joss Whedon On AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, Marvel Vs DC, And GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2

--------------------------

Which indirectly brings us to the next Marvel-related question for Joss Whedon: What would he say to Warner Bros./DC to step up their game?

"I don't think I would say that," he said moderately. "I think that would be a little presumptuous of me. I think that both studios have kind of different agendas, different ways of approaching the superhero genre, and the ethos of the thing, and the esthetic. They go very dark and serious and sometimes it works amazingly, and Marvel tends to be a little lighter. Both have movies that I adore, and both have movies that I'm like... (Whedon gives an aggravated facial expression), including bits of my own. I would not want them to do what Marvel does. I like what they do when they get it right. When you get a Heath Ledger [performance], and Batman Begins, and those things that really grip you. That's something nobody else is doing, and I like it. I want them to do what they're doing."

--------------------------

:applause:

Agree with you and Josh. Both studios are putting out good stuff, for the most part, and giving us fans a lot to enjoy. Those Batman movies are definitely the class of the DC lineup, but sadly there is a dropoff after that. What Marvel has been able to do is to get out several characters with strong movie lines of their own and then tie them in with the Avengers. And then the post credit scenes that setup the next installment in the Marvel Universe pays big dividends.

Agree with you and Josh. Both studios are putting out good stuff, for the most part, and giving us fans a lot to enjoy. Those Batman movies are definitely the class of the DC lineup, but sadly there is a dropoff after that. What Marvel has been able to do is to get out several characters with strong movie lines of their own and then tie them in with the Avengers. And then the post credit scenes that setup the next installment in the Marvel Universe pays big dividends.

Warner definitely realizes now how dropping that cinema ball constantly put them way behind. They could have been building out a strong series of franchises long ago, and allowed things like Batman Forever, Steel and Catwoman to come out. Just horrible, throwaway work that added no value.

Let's hope with this new schedule announcement today we will hear loads of good news. Warner has been schooled so far, and rightly so.

Henry (Hank) Pym is in the movie as the inventor of the technology and his daughter will be Janet (Van Dyne) so they will be a little different from the comics but still there.

The character will be "Hope" not "Janet". I believe they're doing it that way to at least leave some possibility of introducing Janet/Wasp into MCU. Would be a shame if Hope becomes Wasp.

Warner definitely realizes now how dropping that cinema ball constantly put them way behind. They could have been building out a strong series of franchises long ago, and allowed things like Batman Forever, Steel and Catwoman to come out. Just horrible, throwaway work that added no value.

Problem with DC movies is they're just trying to make a quick buck off an established brand (same as Transformers and TMNT). Marvel puts their heart and soul into the movies and it shows. I know some purists will argue they haven't stayed true, but you have to realize they have to market to a larger audience and not everything works on the big screen; plus they have contractual limitations as well. Zack Snyder in my opinion is a big mistake. He has his own style and will no doubt leave his mark on the films. But that's HIS signature and not DC's. You're basically going to get an over glorified spectacle and less focus on other elements; is that a true or good representation of the DC universe?

Problem with DC movies is they're just trying to make a quick buck off an established brand (same as Transformers and TMNT). Marvel puts their heart and soul into the movies and it shows. I know some purists will argue they haven't stayed true, but you have to realize they have to market to a larger audience and not everything works on the big screen; plus they have contractual limitations as well. Zack Snyder in my opinion is a big mistake. He has his own style and will no doubt leave his mark on the films. But that's HIS signature and not DC's. You're basically going to get an over glorified spectacle and less focus on other elements; is that a true or good representation of the DC universe?

The Nolan Batman franchise was not 'a quick buck' approach. It very much was a building block series of stories telling the story of a character that helped establish the comic book hobby.

With Marvel, it finally pulled itself together after many years of very weak attempts at bringing many great characters to the cinema. It just took the right creative genius (Feige) and deep funding (Disney) to make our dreams come true.

With the first movie (The Incredible Hulk), it was something that I saw one time, and wanted to make sure I never make that mistake again. So out of the gate, Marvel didn't have the magic at that point. And that is a shame with the cast that was pulled together. Thank goodness after this, we didn't experience that type of theater again.

The Nolan Batman franchise was not 'a quick buck' approach. It very much was a building block series of stories telling the story of a character that helped establish the comic book hobby.

With Marvel, it finally pulled itself together after many years of very weak attempts at bringing many great characters to the cinema. It just took the right creative genius (Feige) and deep funding (Disney) to make our dreams come true.

With the first movie (The Incredible Hulk), it was something that I saw one time, and wanted to make sure I never make that mistake again. So out of the gate, Marvel didn't have the magic at that point. And that is a shame with the cast that was pulled together. Thank goodness after this, we didn't experience that type of theater again.

that's true but i'll add my 2c i think Marvel didn't get big until Avengers came out that's when everybody was talking about them.

that's true but i'll add my 2c i think Marvel didn't get big until Avengers came out that's when everybody was talking about them.

Iron Man #1 put Marvel on the map.

Hey all --

Just picking up some of these threads...with regard to when Marvel seemed to find the magic, I agree that it was putting Favreau and Downey Jr. together on Iron Man 1, which is a fine superhero movie. What helped it along was the deep cast, the decision to allow Agent Coulson a bigger role, and the post-credits scene that started a whole new "MCU" ballgame. Who wasn't going to be excited about the future of Marvel when they were already planning the Avengers after only one IM film?

With regard to the upcoming Age of Ultron, I looked at the IMDB cast list and saw a bunch of roles noted as "Sokovian" and "Sokovian Citizen", which says to me that they are pulling something from Busiek's 'Ultron Unlimited' storyline in Avengers Vol. 3. I wonder just how far down that dark road they'll go...

Dan