• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color Strike vs. Registry?

40 posts in this topic

I want to make sure I understand the difference in these two terms regarding the cover of a comic. I've long been aware of color strike --- in that I've seen a certain color not matching the black outlines, i.e., bleeding over or overlapping, and I have always bought based on that! But I am less certain what "registry" means as cited by Greg Reece in the new Overstreet?

I would infer that it means the depth of the overall color in general, but am not sure. DC early 80's comics in particular seemed to vary greatly in how vividly their reds were...some being almost orange. I often use the DC logo itself as a bellwether...

Another classic example is X-men 142, where the "everyone dies" box varies from dark orange in most examples to red in uncommon examples. This has nothing to do with the colors not matching the inks, but rather depth.

Is my understanding of registry correct? The overall depth of coloration/fadedness (not fading due to light)?

If Greg Reece is using the word "registry," I wonder why. I've always used the word "registration" and "registration marks." Registration is about aligning the four colors. Color strike is about how true the color looks on the paper. As Lazyboy said, your description has the two terms backwards.

Printing Registration at Wikipedia.

I want to make sure I understand the difference in these two terms regarding the cover of a comic. I've long been aware of color strike --- in that I've seen a certain color not matching the black outlines, i.e., bleeding over or overlapping, and I have always bought based on that! But I am less certain what "registry" means as cited by Greg Reece in the new Overstreet?

I would infer that it means the depth of the overall color in general, but am not sure. DC early 80's comics in particular seemed to vary greatly in how vividly their reds were...some being almost orange. I often use the DC logo itself as a bellwether...

Another classic example is X-men 142, where the "everyone dies" box varies from dark orange in most examples to red in uncommon examples. This has nothing to do with the colors not matching the inks, but rather depth.

Is my understanding of registry correct? The overall depth of coloration/fadedness (not fading due to light)?

..... a good example of books with color strike variation are B&B 28 and X-MEN 1. The BB 28 has gray variety and a blue variety, while the X-MEN 1 is found with a dark green MCG box and a light green one. Prices don't seem to be affected by this, but I know that I have my preferences. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This information is incredibly helpful! I did have it backwards!

Re. Greg Greece -- I was referencing his recent words in the recent Overstreet market report, where he advised buyers to buy the comic, not the grade, in one example citing a "perfectly registered white copy." He never used the exact word "registry." He said "registered." My apologies! I certainly acknowledge Greg Reece knows more than me!

I do now understand much better, my goal for asking here!

I haven't read Greg's OSPG article, but the subtle variations in color on covers doesn't have much to do with registration as it has to do with the ink density that is being put on paper.

Misaligned registration results in a poor quality image (not just color problems) across the entire cover. It looks bad all over, not just in one area - and it doesn't affect just the color, it affects the overall sharpness of the image. You can tell when something is misregistered - and it doesn't look good, ever. A perfectly registered book is quite common. There are some variances that Quality Control has to single out and eliminate, but basically setting perfect registration is part of the job. If they couldn't register artwork on a printing press perfectly - we would have a lot of out-of-work pressmen.

Changes in appling pressure to the printing blankets is how you change the color in areas on the plate. You can change the size of the printing 'dot' with more or less pressure on the blanket to make something more or less red, etc. And, you are able to do this in specified areas of the paper sheet.

During the course of a print run, the press needs to be monitored to make sure the first sheet has the same ink density as the last sheet off the press. This is measured with a Densitometer and if not checked, the pressure of the blanket can slowly change over the course of the run - which is why you see different shades of color on two of the same comics.

For example: if you have an equal mix of Cyan and Magenta making a deep purple color at the beginning of the run, the Magenta blanket may not be applying the same pressure as the Cyan plate at the end of the run - resulting in a more blue color, rather than purple. Because the Magenta dot is not being applied to the paper in the same size it was at the beginning of the run.

This is pretty simplified, but it's how the printing press works in terms of color shifts across a print run.

Two books that it relatively easy to see what Balls is talking about are the Eagle Judge Dredd #1 and New Mutants 87. You should be able to find tons of pictures on the 'Bay and elsewhere. They run from an almost red super deep orange to a light tangerine orange.

Picking this apart a bit, but following on the thought that "anomalies" might somehow be treated differently or demonstrate a value disparity when compared to a non-anomalous example, I believe this is primarily due to CGC's treatment of "printing errors" with a qualified grade.

Prior to this green label assignment, many books exhibiting printing defects (missing a colour, blurring from poor registration, etc.) were quite collectible. I rarely agreed with them being marketed as "variants", although in the case of the Don Schenker Zap 0 (yellow variant) that is one of very few examples where I would let it slide.

The reason I mention this all is that before CGC stopped giving these examples a blue label, these books would consistently sell at over guide prices. Now with the green label designation, not so much.

Picking this apart a bit, but following on the thought that "anomalies" might somehow be treated differently or demonstrate a value disparity when compared to a non-anomalous example, I believe this is primarily due to CGC's treatment of "printing errors" with a qualified grade.

Prior to this green label assignment, many books exhibiting printing defects (missing a colour, blurring from poor registration, etc.) were quite collectible. I rarely agreed with them being marketed as "variants", although in the case of the Don Schenker Zap 0 (yellow variant) that is one of very few examples where I would let it slide.

The reason I mention this all is that before CGC stopped giving these examples a blue label, these books would consistently sell at over guide prices. Now with the green label designation, not so much.

The Fantastic Four #110 printing error is a classic example of that - does CGC not give it a blue label anymore?

I stopped bothering to figure out, much less keep track of their policy in this area when I started seeing books like this getting a green label. I know for a fact that many of these types of "printing errors" were at one time getting a blue label. Then many years back, I remembered they changed the policy, but grandfathered books with old labels so if they would be resubmitted for any reasons, they would keep their blue label.

The Fantastic Four #110 printing error is a classic example of that - does CGC not give it a blue label anymore?

Is FF110 the one were two of the color plates were switched at the beginning of the run? EDIT: Cyan and Magenta were switched, creating the green Thing and reddish costumes.

Is FF110 the one were two of the color plates were switched at the beginning of the run?

Yep.

Regular version:

detail.jpg

Switched plate version:

600323.jpg

Is FF110 the one were two of the color plates were switched at the beginning of the run?

Yep.

Regular version:

detail.jpg

Switched plate version:

600323.jpg

That's missing the Cyan, so if using the Mr Natural 1 (missing Magenta) example as a basis, it would be a manufacturing error and receive a green label.

New Mutants 87

new_mutants_87.jpg

917379.jpg

The more-red version (let's say 100% magenta ink + 100% yellow ink for this example) has a higher density of magenta going down on the paper, making it appear a brighter, more vibrant color.

The orange version has less density of magenta, which not only makes it look more orange (60% magenta ink 100% yellow ink) , but it also doesn't 'pop' the other yellows like 'watch out muties' blurb and the New Mutants logo masthead.

Yep.

Regular version:

detail.jpg

Switched plate version:

600323.jpg

That's missing the Cyan, so if using the Mr Natural 1 (missing Magenta) example as a basis, it would be a manufacturing error and receive a green label.

It has the Cyan plate, it's just switched around with the Magenta plate.

The uniforms, which should be mostly Cyan are mostly Magenta in the error copy. Their faces, which should be flesh (printed with the Magenta and Yellow plates) appear greenish (printed with the Cyan and Yellow plates).