• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leafcasting Comic Books

179 posts in this topic

After reading this thread, I have a whole new appreciation for professionally restored books and will now consider adding them to my collection. While I believe they should be worth nowhere near their unrestored counterparts, they still should hold a special place in our hobby.

Here's something to ponder. hm

a hungry rat chose this book to munch on from over 5000 books in the collection in the collection.

Apparently he only ate Hulk's. Could something like this be a candidate for leaf casting? Thoughts (shrug)

HULK1c_zps60183b9d.jpg

Leafcasting to conserve the book? I'd think so. Leafcasting plus color touch to replace the eaten content of each page and cover? I'd think that process would be so extensive and expensive that it wouldn't be worth it.

Possibly a silly question, but what is the general consensus on restoration removal for books that were done within the last 10 to 12 years with Japan papers? Is it worth re-doing high-grade keys for their long-term survival?

I'd like to know your thoughts on this as well Kenny.

I would say it's not so much about the long term survival of books restored/conserved with japan papers and wheat paste. Those materials are used for a reason.

They are archival.

But, Leaf casting can structurally repair most flaws better because you are not topically applying a remedy through japan papers, and an applied glue. But rather bonding paper through hydrogen bonding.

Similar era paper mingling and joining with similar fibers.

A really brittle Superman 1, with most every wrap needing work.

DSC07373_zpsff4fdfb0.jpg

DSC07578_zpsa491ad5b.jpg

DSC07374_zps6969ba5d.jpg

DSC07574_zps2b3a836e.jpg

Afterward, it's pretty darn supple.

DSC07568_zps58b7db62.jpg

DSC07571_zpsa287ecd3.jpg

Great work as usual Kenny.

Why thanks Joey.

It's probably boring stuff to most, but essential to every job I get in now.

Revive the beat up old GA interior, put it in the basket or it gets the hose again.

:insane:

What a difference - wow!

It's a lot to look at. So.... thanks for looking!

:D

To be honest, the big photos probably are off putting to many, and reveal too much. But that's part of it, resto isn't perfect.

So hopefully letting people see it up close here will better match when they see it in person.