• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leafcasting Comic Books

179 posts in this topic

Back to Leaf Casted Comic Books

A trimmed up, married interior that had vintage donor material, attached to all the outer edges with massive amounts of japan tissue on both sides!! As well as donor comic paper used as piecefill to the missing spine. Too bad it was from a different issue!

All that got washed off, and each wrap was leaf casted to make for a more natural, seamless fill.

BEFORE

IMG_6240_zpsmmgbm8z1.jpg

AFTER

IMG_6326_zpsmdkuh7th.jpg

BEFORE

IMG_6123_zps0x0i3ssb.jpg

AFTER

IMG_6320_zps4avxs8jl.jpg

BEFORE

IMG_6136_zpsehm4jen6.jpg

AFTER

IMG_6323_zps3vbpbzpc.jpg

Here is what they used for piece fill on the spines, lol Anybody know what issue these came from?

IMG_6230_zpsj9w7yid6.jpg

Incredible work! (worship)

Kenny, your stuff is scary good (worship)

I've always thought Kenny had to have made some sort of deal with the devil for his work to be as good as it is.

Truly he is a "paper alchemist".

Hey.... that's pretty good.... Kenny, you should buy the domain "www.paperalchemist.com"

Kenny, your stuff is scary good (worship)

I've always thought Kenny had to have made some sort of deal with the devil for his work to be as good as it is.

Truly he is a "paper alchemist".

Hey.... that's pretty good.... Kenny, you should buy the domain "www.paperalchemist.com"

+1

that is just exceptional work man. If I ever get some shredded golden beauty, I'll have to send it your way because wow. Just... wow

+1

I've enjoyed going back and looking through this thread. Man, that work you do really is magic.

First post from a complete newbie but I joined this forum because of this Leafcasting thread.

I find Kenny's work incredible....almost to good to be true.

Leafcasting for comic restoration seems to be a wonderful way to save the old comics I love. Kenny should be proud of the work he is doing. He is saving our history.

Would love to try this myself and have searched the net for a few weeks trying to collect all the information I would need to create a homemade setup. I do believe all the information is out there..but it is certainly difficult to find from one source.

Anyone ask or has this been done: Can leaf casting books be graded? Restored or conserved grade? Any pictures of any books slabbed after leaf casting? Just curious as I just like my books in plastic and would want to resubmit just for long term prosperity.

Here are some comics that Kenny leafcast for me.

The Startling was a 1.5 before the leafcast

photo get-attachment-23aspx_zpsf18e818e.jpeg

Archie 1 was a 1.5 before the leafcast. It looks nicer than the 7.0 they gave it.

get-attachment-59aspx_zps60e7867d.jpeg

Xmen 1 was a remaindered copy that Kenny grafted the top onto. It too looks better than the grade they gave it.

P1060761-1.jpg

Curious what you all think.

I have a Planet Comics 15, that is a married cover but the cover is split. I am considering getting the book leaf cast so it is re-attached to the book. My understanding is there are options:

1. leaf cast and it is called conserved? ( not sure if that is correct )

2. Fully restored

What are your opinions of this?

Cover%20Split_zpsotrxtlbf.jpg

thanks for sharing. Awesome! Can't make the wording out though, what does it say? Why would a masterpiece like this get conserved grading instead of restored, that is where I am confused on how CGC makes the call on those.

Somewhere on this wonderful chat board are pictures of the process of repairing that X-Men #1. Or am I wrong? I swear I remember seeing pics of how the two beater copies were merged into this one beautiful copy, but I can't find them now. Can anyone help me out?