• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our own David Merryweather in San Diego

22 posts in this topic

The comic con was a little quiet this year if you are into comics; however there was still fun to be had if you kept your eyes open. One of the more entertaining moments of the con came when I ran into David Merryweather wheeling and dealing at John Verzyl's booth. David said he wouldn't mind if I took a photo of him in the midst of some major wheeling and dealing.

139612.jpg.de57e1b4394fbdae17c34470fe1fd687.jpg

Apparently, I had happened upon David deep in the final stages of a negotiation on some great books. David will have to fill in the details on which books as it was not clear to the outside observer. Anyway, negotiations had stalled and it was decided that they could only be resolved with a "FLIP!"

Further negotiations ensued in regard to who would flip, who would call, who would win, what it meant, etc. That being sorted out I caught David in mid-flip below:

139613.jpg.c2c2d2c5b5da4fc4a72d11da7c727848.jpg

David said he wouldn't mind if I took a photo of him

You really didn't even need to ask.

David said he wouldn't mind if I took a photo of him

You really didn't even need to ask.

I'm surprised David didn't offer to pay for the favour :insane:

Jon does love flipping to resolve a bargain. Who won the flip? I'm guessing Verzyl.

Even if he looses... he wins!

Well I think you are more right than you know. David won the first flip and then I left when Verzyl was talking him into another flip on the same book that would have reduced the bargain. I suspect at that rate that David may have ended up paying more than asking price by the time he was finished flipping coins!

Heads I win, tails you lose!!

Jon does love flipping to resolve a bargain. Who won the flip? I'm guessing Verzyl.

Even if he looses... he wins!

Well I think you are more right than you know. David won the first flip and then I left when Verzyl was talking him into another flip on the same book that would have reduced the bargain. I suspect at that rate that David may have ended up paying more than asking price by the time he was finished flipping coins!

Heads I win, tails you lose!!

[font:Times New Roman]Naw, that book ended up about where I expected, about 10% less than John's original asking price. I kinda expected to lose at least one coin flip since I'd won the previous five. In fact, I won a big one the day before when Gator flipped the coin for us.

I won't go into specifics, but needless to say, I was real happy with that outcome. Here's one of my favorite geeks ogling that very book while I was doing my victory lap... [/font] :grin:

20130718_161005_zpse1fc6ca6.jpg

The comic con was a little quiet this year if you are into comics; however there was still fun to be had if you kept your eyes open. One of the more entertaining moments of the con came when I ran into David Merryweather wheeling and dealing at John Verzyl's booth. David said he wouldn't mind if I took a photo of him in the midst of some major wheeling and dealing.

I don't think that is Mr Merryweather. He always has a alcoholic drink in his hand and the person in that photo doesn't so clearly they are not the same person.

:baiting:

I don't think that is Mr Merryweather. He always has a alcoholic drink in his hand and the person in that photo doesn't so clearly they are not the same person.

Exactly. That imposter isn't even giving the thumbs up.

Exactly. That imposter isn't even giving the thumbs up.

It would have been natural to hold the drink in his left hand while flipping the coin with his right(?).

24 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Great memories from seven years ago, ...that was back when my board moniker was David Merryweather (aka Cat-Man).  SDCC was a lot of fun, hanging out, making great friends and deals on books.  Hopefully it will be again.  

Oh, and just to prove I'm not really the "king of flippers" in spite of the uncanny coin flipping luck that year, here's the same book, still in my collection today...

c1482b14-2b83-42df-a22d-c09f7b73b5d3_zpsjfyqlynn.jpg.137669c5c9d2430b59b843387f63a1b8.jpg

Hide contents

a8261db8-f64f-45f6-8249-1c686c326dd4_zps893f978a.jpg.73585e4093d09db39351a8e2b8a51671.jpg

:tink:

that’s awesome you still have it!! what a neat book!!