• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The umpire is calling strikes..................

5,775 posts in this topic

GPA can scrape and data mine from the internet that you or I can see.

What they choose to publish is an entirely different thing.

I thought that Clink had told George that he couldn't even do that off of their site.

How do you stop someone from recording numbers from a public site? You and I can do it.

Sure - and you'd receive a nice lawsuit in return.

GPA has agreements in place with all the partners that supply the sales data - they don't just data mine various websites and call it a day.

People record sales numbers from Clink all the time.

How is that any different?

I'm not talking about publishing them. Just recording them.

GPA is a commercial service, so they can't just "scrape and data mine from the internet" - that's what I was responding to. Nobody's saying that you as private individual can't record whatever data you want.

I never could understand that...if you don't want to participate...can't you just ummm...

Take the site off your bookmarks and leave;)?

b6hqv.jpg

I never could understand that...if you don't want to participate...can't you just ummm...

It adds to his mystique!

He had Mystique? They were dating?

I think I'm losing my mind, I'd better go get some things done, lol.

Yeah, but he dumped her for a singing meter-maid.

GPA is a commercial service, so they can't just "scrape and data mine from the internet" - that's what I was responding to. Nobody's saying that you as private individual can't record whatever data you want.

It's only commercial if you use it for commercial purposes...but these other people use the data for commercial reasons. They use it to buy and sell their books. (shrug)

b6hqv.jpg

lol

I'll miss him.

He was super entertaining.

Where was he hanging out at the end though? I never saw him around CG anymore.

b6hqv.jpg

lol

I'll miss him.

I think I figured it out.....

b6ijv.jpg

I believe he created his own thread where only super important/famous people would hang out. Guess he got tired of the monologue.

b6hqv.jpg

lol

I'll miss him.

b6ijv.jpg

Who else was there? Stu and Cal?

Could you imagine those three together? Throw in Kav...

b6hqv.jpg

lol

I'll miss him.

b6ijv.jpg

Who else was there? Stu and Cal?

Could you imagine those three together? Throw in Kav...

I picture them sitting down like the family in The Godfather, having Chinese food...and Mitch is the consigliere.

It's only commercial if you use it for commercial purposes...but these other people use the data for commercial reasons. They use it to buy and sell their books. (shrug)

GPA is a commercial entity no matter how their customers use their data.

GPA is a commercial entity no matter how their customers use their data.

I think we're talking about different things. I'll drop it.

OK what did this guy do again?

I can't keep track.... doh!

Here's a typical sample of a DGarthwaite post, from Harbinger movie, or is this old news

I discovered that I am old high school friends with a Hollywood producer that grew up in the geographical area where the original Harbinger takes place. I thought about sending my friend a copy of the original Harbinger TPB.

DG

The new books also take place around Pittsburgh.

The original ones took place in Tucker, Decatur, and Norcross Georgia. Harbinger #2 was cool to me because they show up at a hospital in Decatur Ga. I had two family members working at the only hospital in Decatur at the time. My friend that produced a Tom Cruise movie was from Tucker.

DG

In these few lines, we learn that he once knew someone who Made it Big in Hollywood as a Producer of Tom Cruise movies, and two members of his family worked in a hospital in Decatur, Georgia at the same time it was featured in Harbinger #2!

These types of things are what he would identify as "brushes with fame," as if his family members may have been extras on the set of the comic book. (shrug) Most people found it fairly annoying how he would name-drop celebrities to whom he had the most tangential relationships.

I guess this could have been his bio. The mythical "how to describe yourself as a person college essay". I've always thought it was wonderful.

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I’m bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear.

I don’t perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy.

I once read Paradise Lost, Moby , and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down.

I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.