• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,557 posts in this topic

Is there a definitive known cut off date for the camp books?

sorry, I went through about 12 pages of the thread, but couldn't find an answer :eek:

edit: per another website - Sep 6th, 1944 is the release date of the last camp era book, is that correct? (Sensation 35, 4Y?)

Edited by jabats

11 minutes ago, jabats said:

Is there a definitive known cut off date for the camp books?

sorry, I went through about 12 pages of the thread, but couldn't find an answer :eek:

I found this note for a date range of the camp books......

For over a year – 376 days in fact (from at least August 27th 1943 to September 6th 1944) . 

I don't think there is a definitive known cut-off date.  In fact, even the informal division between camp era and regular Okajima might have developed right here from these discussion boards?  

If you go by scripted, signed books it would end around 9/6/44.  I think it is possible she left the camp between that book and the next known book (which appears a month later).  That book began the "non-signed" date stamp era.  Most internees were able leave as early as Dec 44/Jan 45, and camp administration actually actively promoted leaving after the executive order was rescinded.  Other internees who did not have a ready place to relocate stayed longer (90% had left by Sept. 45) and Canal Camp officially closed Nov. 45, which would be certain hard date.

Edited by path4play

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/539842

This photo shows internees goods boxed for freight shipment.  If you zoom in on the image, you can see internees names and addresses to move the goods on the boxes.  I would imagine the comic books possessed by the collector were transported back to her family's central valley California farm in this manner.

"The full caption for this photograph reads: Gila River Relocation Center, Rivers, Arizona. On September 15, two weeks before the Canal Camp at Rivers, Arizona, was to close, only 635 people remained and 370 of these had bus or train reservations for the following week (the Canal Camp once had more than 5,000 residents). Most of the people are going out by special Greyhound buses. Their property, crated for freight shipment, is picked up at their homes and stored in project warehouses until it is loaded on the heavy trucking vans. Before the relocators leave the Center they secure their travel vouchers and their ration books from the Leave Office and get their special Relocation Grant from the Agent Cashier."

Edited by path4play

Start and end of board knowledge comic-wise overlaid on the Gila timeline. 

The most straightforward "camp-era" dividing line is end of '44, switch from fountain pen to stamp certainly could have been made in camp. 

A mystery as well comic-wise if issues other than a single unmarked Red Dragon from Nov. 42 to July 43 still exist, were lost, or were ever even collected during that time to begin with. 

timeline.jpg

Original chart: https://www.cwu.edu/geography/sites/cts.cwu.edu.geography/files/chapter10gilariver.pdf

Edited by path4play

On 4/18/2018 at 2:25 PM, skypinkblu said:

My first 

It's actually in the mail to cgc now.

5ad93fc1223d3_shadowokajimaright.thumb.jpg.511dcd47ff28469771d1063bdbf9a3b5.jpg

I saw that at Jamie Graham's booth at WonderCon a few years ago. I wanted it but he said it was on hold for someone else and if he didn't want it, it was mine. Well duh, he took it. I was bummed. Glad it found a good home with you Sharon!

29 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I saw that at Jamie Graham's booth at WonderCon a few years ago. I wanted it but he said it was on hold for someone else and if he didn't want it, it was mine. Well duh, he took it. I was bummed. Glad it found a good home with you Sharon!

Must have been billy who took it, but I'm very glad to be a caretaker:) Thank you:)

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

The Boy Okajima hammered at $3,600.  Pretty strong results for a non-war cover.

Plus tax unless the winner was lucky enough not to live in one of the many States Heritage  seems to be in now.

4 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Plus tax unless the winner was lucky enough not to live in one of the many States Heritage  seems to be in now.

The minute they get a facility in Tennessee is when my Heritage days are over.  I'm not paying another 9.75% premium on top of everything else. :sorry: 

My answer probably lurks somewhere in these 47 pages but without going through and rereading, I have a quick question.  What years do the Okajimas run?  I have a slabbed Jungle 126 from 1950 but as I was going through my books, I found this - a raw Danger and Adventure #22 from 1955 with a copy of the certificate.  I had no idea they ran through the mid 50s.  Is this accurate?

20180503_122208.thumb.jpg.a20f387f3d551329580cb51217064ac9.jpg20180503_122227.thumb.jpg.392f92c1551bc4f142021a8f9a912c90.jpg20180503_122231.thumb.jpg.d44950ea6602edea1a36db7c46b9feb3.jpg

15 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

What a lovely book, @drwente, welcome to the boards (or to posting on the boards;)

+1 And please don't stop now -- post away! :)