• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,557 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Probably a stupid question but are we sure it was same person who penned the Okajima on the camp-coded books?  If not, could that be why the variation in handwriting?

Kinda wanted to do this anyway, seems like as good as time as any.  These are chronological from 1/25/44 to 10/10/44.

1-25-1944.png

2-22-44.png

4-8-44.png

5-12-44.png

6-15-44.png

6-15-44b.png

8-16-44.png

9-13-44.png

10-10-44.png

1 hour ago, path4play said:

Kinda wanted to do this anyway, seems like as good as time as any.  These are chronological from 1/25/44 to 10/10/44.

1-25-1944.png

2-22-44.png

4-8-44.png

5-12-44.png

6-15-44.png

6-15-44b.png

8-16-44.png

9-13-44.png

10-10-44.png

Lots of differences to my untrained eyes - so different coders, I assume?

Thanks for posting them.

On 2/12/2019 at 4:00 PM, skypinkblu said:

The handwriting is absolutely different (and I've had to testify in court on handwriting), but a bigger clue would be that they didn't even spell it correctly. That looks like a "g" not a "j". If it were not for that, I'd wonder if it was just a different person in the store writing on it. In any case, that's a lot of money for such a raw low grade book.

So, that wasn't your signature on the ransom note? hm

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Lots of differences to my untrained eyes - so different coders, I assume?

Thanks for posting them.

For me, the thing that supports a single signer theory the best is the coding itself (I'm not a hand writing expect but the sigs look darn similar to me). 

As far as we know from books shared in this very forum, with very few inconsistencies, the coding is in chronological order "1e" is followed by "1f" etc., all the way to "4x" then over to date stamps.  Seems unlikely the shop keep would have keep such perfect numbering holding books for someone?  There was a brother and sister at the time, I suppose its possible the two wrote and coded them together in some way. 

I don't think we will ever know exactly.

Edited by path4play

29 minutes ago, path4play said:

For me, the thing that supports a single signer theory the best is the coding itself (I'm not a hand writing expect but the sigs look darn similar to me). 

As far as we know from books shared in this very forum, with very few inconsistencies, the coding is in chronological order "1e" is followed by "1f" etc., all the way to "4x" then over to date stamps.  Seems unlikely the shop keep would have keep such perfect numbering holding books for someone?  There was a brother and sister at the time, I suppose its possible the two wrote and coded them together in some way. 

I don't think we will ever know exactly.

I'll get a better scan of my one and only camp-coded - here it is for comparison also.  Ink is not as legible as others

0711120819571.jpg

Here are a couple of questions.

Within this very thread the story unfolded that there were three original buyers of about 1,200 comics, split evenly between them. Of the three buyers, 1/3rd landed in the hands of Alan Bahr who made Certificates of Authenticity (COA).  The other 1/3rd were sold by Ron Murry to numerous different lucky buyers (like Robot Man) at Con's up and down the West Coast in 1995/1996.  The final 1/3rd presumably is held tightly by a mystery buyer in a hoard not yet released to the public.

Question 1:  From the books and lists posted here in the thread, I estimate from coded date gaps there were probably about 180 copies with the sigs/dates (camp copies - did that term also originate here?).  That is only 15% of the total pedigree.  So, why don't we see more date stamped post-camp books come up for sale?  Even if only Alan Bahr's COA date stamped copies were selling as Okajima's there still should be 3x the number on the market vs. camp copies.

Question 2: How many owners of these camp copies in particular have or had an Alan Bahr COA associated with them?

Edited by path4play

Whoa there Kemosabe... First of all Robot Man had no part in purchasing on these books other than the secondary market. No where near 1/3rd of the collection or even 1/3rd of either Alan or Ron's copies. The original purchasers were Alan Barr, Ron Murry and a "mystery buyer". Alan and Ron's part to the best of my knowledge have been for the most part probably sold off to eager collectors.

I was able to buy around 8 or 9 directly from Ron (camp copies) and about 5 from Alan myself. Over the years, I was able to purchase some here and there from other sources. I have no idea what has become of the "mystery buyer's" copies. Many might be privately held by him, might not. They seem to be spread all over the place and most are locked up in private collections.

Here is one of Alan's copies with COA. Oddly, it has no date, stamp or other markings at all on either the front or back. I bought 5 from him at a con, WonderCon I believe. All had these COAs. All but one had no markings at all.

With the passage of time and the fact they were no big deal at the time, I doubt we will ever get any kind of accurate count as to how many books total or how they were marked. I just consider it a gift from God whenever I am lucky enough to buy one. Sure wish I bought more when I had the chance...

comtargetv7#1a.jpg

comtargetv7#1ab.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Whoa there Kemosabe... First of all Robot Man had no part in purchasing on these books other than the secondary market. No where near 1/3rd of the collection or even 1/3rd of either Alan or Ron's copies. The original purchasers were Alan Barr, Ron Murry and a "mystery buyer". Alan and Ron's part to the best of my knowledge have been for the most part probably sold off to eager collectors.

I was able to buy around 8 or 9 directly from Ron (camp copies) and about 5 from Alan myself. Over the years, I was able to purchase some here and there from other sources. I have no idea what has become of the "mystery buyer's" copies. Many might be privately held by him, might not. They seem to be spread all over the place and most are locked up in private collections.

Here is one of Alan's copies with COA. Oddly, it has no date, stamp or other markings at all on either the front or back. I bought 5 from him at a con, WonderCon I believe. All had these COAs. All but one had no markings at all.

With the passage of time and the fact they were no big deal at the time, I doubt we will ever get any kind of accurate count as to how many books total or how they were marked. I just consider it a gift from God whenever I am lucky enough to buy one. Sure wish I bought more when I had the chance...

I changed the wording a bit in my original post to clarify Robot Man, I knew you bought a few on secondary market direct from Ron, and I was teasing a little bit.  Heck you probably passed over while scanning through those long boxes a couple of the ones that made it in my collection now.  If I get a time machine it may be my second stop (after I grab a couple of Action #1s off the rack of course).

There is some new information in your post.  You mention that four of the five post camp books you bought from Alan with COA had no markings at all, no date stamp, nothing!  I don't believe its been mentioned that some (or even possibly a majority) were unmarked!  That would mean a great many of the post camp books from Ron's group will be and are just lost.  Kudo's to Ron for doing the COA - was he also instrumental in getting the Pedigree recognized by CGC?

One can imagine one day mystery buyer's copies suddenly appearing for auction at HA or ComicConnect, or perhaps a repeat of the estate sale like the original in 1995.

Edited by path4play

I bought this Okajima already graded through a ComicLink auction about ten years ago. No mention of Okajima on the slab or in the auction listing...

thrilling68.jpg

39 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I bought this Okajima already graded through a ComicLink auction about ten years ago. No mention of Okajima on the slab or in the auction listing...

thrilling68.jpg

It's beautiful, but I am totally lost on how anyone not as well versed as you would know unmarked book is an OKajima?  I wish you did more classes like the one you did on restoration detection. Most enjoyable class I remember taking and probably one of the few "classes" I remember taking:)

Maybe we could have an "ask Bedrock" thread to match GAtor's.

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

It's beautiful, but I am totally lost on how anyone not as well versed as you would know unmarked book is an OKajima?  I wish you did more classes like the one you did on restoration detection. Most enjoyable class I remember taking and probably one of the few "classes" I remember taking:)

mr.bedrock did classes? I would definitely join that class for sure!!!

On 2/13/2019 at 2:14 PM, entalmighty1 said:

My early camp book looks like a "g" as well.  (shrug) 

2606172120481.jpg

But the "a's" on your copy match the ones on mine very closely. Note that these "a" are connected to the other letters and part of a flow where someone does not pick up their pen to start another letter.  The "a" on the #25 starts at the top and there is a break between letters (the person ended after the first 2 and started again with the "a". 

I'm still thinking there might have been different people signing the books. 

3 minutes ago, SushiX said:

mr.bedrock did classes? I would definitely join that class for sure!!!

He might have done more, but I only went to one. He and Matt Nelson gave a class on restoration detection one year at the Chicago Con, fabulous job by both of them.

45 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

The Thrilling is coded. If you look to the left of the "T" there is written an F over an 8 over a 12. That is some kind of distributors coding that is consistent with the later Okajimas. I didn't notice it when I was bidding (the ComicLink images were pretty small then) but it was pretty obvious when I got my hands on it. I got confirmation here from some boardies who were a little more versed in the codes.

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

He might have done more, but I only went to one. He and Matt Nelson gave a class on restoration detection one year at the Chicago Con, fabulous job by both of them.

Man, I would pay for something like that.  @MrBedrock, should your name be Professor Bedrock?

On 2/12/2019 at 4:00 PM, skypinkblu said:

The handwriting is absolutely different (and I've had to testify in court on handwriting), but a bigger clue would be that they didn't even spell it correctly. That looks like a "g" not a "j". If it were not for that, I'd wonder if it was just a different person in the store writing on it. In any case, that's a lot of money for such a raw low grade book.

s-l1600.jpg

1410982432_sensation30cgcokajima.jpg.dc402c3fdcf53490bf4de96be894435f.jpg

to me the fact that the k and a arent connected is a big red flag.

and while there are some lower grade issues in the pedigree they are usually due to defects associated with storage not defects due to reading...

the sensation 25 looks like it was read repeatedly and roughly... not wear you see in Okajimas 

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

this distributor mark is the give away for the later post camp era (theres also an earlier post camp era with a different distributon style mark)

Screenshot_20190216-205453_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6832b9060900ae1ad7dd46776ac4dfc7.jpg

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

Man, I would pay for something like that.  @MrBedrock, should your name be Professor Bedrock?

Would you pay in comics of my choice? :wishluck:

On 2/15/2019 at 12:46 PM, telerites said:

Probably a stupid question but are we sure it was same person who penned the Okajima on the camp-coded books?  If not, could that be why the variation in handwriting?

the vast majority (99%) have the same handwriting. 

Likliest case is there may be a few fakes out there (ie the Sensation 25 as a posibility)

another possibility may be the occasional bad pen may have mucked up her signature. 

but there is far to much consistency across the signatures to say that maybe multiple people were writing the name, date and codes at the top of the camp era books.