• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
26 26

1,554 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, path4play said:

I'm only saying that the date and stamp "fits" into the realm of possibility given the date and timing. I presume other clues like page quality etc., would also be tell-tales.  Nothing short of a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) from the seller I guess would be a guarantee.  Unfortunately, as has been discussed here recently, the majority of copies probably don't have a COA.  That leaves the sellers word, he could probably add to the "provenance" by retelling whose hands it passed through.

Thanks for the response; that was a helpful clarification.

--ElJay

I was hoping this 1943 Okajima book would go under the radar, as the bid price was quite low when it entered the live auction.

It didn't end up going totally under the radar, as the price escalated quickly in the live auction, but I'm still happy with the purchase.

I have several 1944 Okajima books, but this is the earliest by a significant margin. No camp codings, but a signature.

... Would 1943 be considered a "camp book" or a "camp era book"? Am I correct that some of the other camp books lack the codings as well (especially the earlier ones)?

Sparker Comics 26 Okajima Camp.jpeg

8 minutes ago, jabats said:

I was hoping this 1943 Okajima book would go under the radar, as the bid price was quite low when it entered the live auction.

It didn't end up going totally under the radar, as the price escalated quickly in the live auction, but I'm still happy with the purchase.

I have several 1944 Okajima books, but this is the earliest by a significant margin. No camp codings, but a signature.

... Would 1943 be considered a "camp book" or a "camp era book"? Am I correct that some of the other camp books lack the codings as well (especially the earlier ones)?

Sparker Comics 26 Okajima Camp.jpeg

Yes. There aren't many, but there are some early camp books that don't have codes. Nice book! 

Edited by deadleg

3 minutes ago, jabats said:

I had it tracked but 12 bills was too rich for me.  Congrats :applause:

One "mystery" to me...

1. If Okajima herself signed her name, why is it sometimes spelled "Okagima" and other times "Okajima"?
  2. Yet the signatures all appear to be in the same handwriting. If the person signing the books were actually selling the books to Okajima, why wouldn't that person consistently spell her name right? And why would that person "code" her books?

There are several collections where the original owners coded their books. Cripppens come to mind. Why? Who knows. I don’t code my books but I put a tiny, light pencil mark in most of them. Mostly in case they were ever stolen. I have even on occasion inadvertently, bought some of them back. 

9 hours ago, jabats said:

The camp opened Aug '42, with majority of population peaking Nov '42.

By my tracking from this thread your book is among the earliest known (5th).

3/30/1943       Red Dragon Comics #7
8/27/1943       Startling Comics #24 "Okajima" "1P"
9/1/1943       Captain Marvel Adventures #28 "Okajima"
9/1/1943       Catman #21 "Okajima"
9/14/1943       Sparkler #26 "Okajima"

image.thumb.png.86f94934bad8221da2c534fa1d3400b9.png

Edited by path4play

1 minute ago, mwotka said:

I was very lucky to run across an Okajima Indians 14 in one of Harley's many miscellaneous boxes yesterday.  It is a post-camp copy, but my first, and I'm super-psyched to own one.  The whole idea of this pedigree and the history absolutely fascinate me as much as any nugget of history in comic-dom.  This one has the front and back coding and the certificate, but was de-slabbed.

Nice find!!

1 hour ago, mwotka said:

I was very lucky to run across an Okajima Indians 14 in one of Harley's many miscellaneous boxes yesterday.  It is a post-camp copy, but my first, and I'm super-psyched to own one.  The whole idea of this pedigree and the history absolutely fascinate me as much as any nugget of history in comic-dom.  This one has the front and back coding and the certificate, but was de-slabbed.

Indians 14 Okajima cgc 7.5.jpg

Indians 14 back cvr.jpg

Indians 14 Certificate.jpg

Great snag! It wasn't in any of his west coast inventory at WonderCon or I would have grabbed it too!

On 2/28/2019 at 10:00 AM, SushiX said:

is it normal to have 2 stamps Nov 11 44? mine has 1 on front cover and 1 on the back...

there are occurances of the 2 stamp markings on late 44 early 45 books (date stamps, no distributor marks)

1 hour ago, mwotka said:

Indians 14 back cvr.jpg

she really loved ficition hose books!

On 3/11/2019 at 9:12 AM, jabats said:

One "mystery" to me...

1. If Okajima herself signed her name, why is it sometimes spelled "Okagima" and other times "Okajima"?
  2. Yet the signatures all appear to be in the same handwriting. If the person signing the books were actually selling the books to Okajima, why wouldn't that person consistently spell her name right? And why would that person "code" her books?

1. the difference betwen the signatures comes down to a small difference in  how the letter j is formed, sometimes it looks a little more like a g. Remember we are talking about someone who probably learned english second after japanese, and learned english curisve after learning kanji in terms of how to write her name. So I think we can allow for the possibility of her occasionally mis scripting her name.

9 hours ago, miraclemet said:

she really loved ficition hose books!

1. the difference betwen the signatures comes down to a small difference in  how the letter j is formed, sometimes it looks a little more like a g. Remember we are talking about someone who probably learned english second after japanese, and learned english curisve after learning kanji in terms of how to write her name. So I think we can allow for the possibility of her occasionally mis scripting her name.

Makes sense. Thanks for solving the mystery for me!

12 hours ago, mwotka said:

Indians 14 back cvr.jpg

I'm proud to say that I deslabbed that book.