• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
26 26

1,554 posts in this topic

Was kinda wondering what was going on with all the hype and high prices for the camp coded books lately, and had been meaning to post in this thread asking.  Then this goes for $1,800, not even a camp era book.  Granted it seems to be a tough issue to find and this is the current highest graded (though probably not a safe one at 8.5).

How much of this price was that its Rangers 59 and how much was that its the pedigree?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/rangers-comics-59-okajima-pedigree-fiction-house-1951-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages-only-the-second-copy/a/121925-17764.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-MyBids-101116

7 hours ago, szav said:

Was kinda wondering what was going on with all the hype and high prices for the camp coded books lately, and had been meaning to post in this thread asking.  Then this goes for $1,800, not even a camp era book.  Granted it seems to be a tough issue to find and this is the current highest graded (though probably not a safe one at 8.5).

How much of this price was that its Rangers 59 and how much was that its the pedigree?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/rangers-comics-59-okajima-pedigree-fiction-house-1951-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages-only-the-second-copy/a/121925-17764.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-MyBids-101116

I have no idea, but I'm going to post an interesting Okajima in the marketplace, probably today.  We'll see how fast the hype train is moving.

8 hours ago, szav said:

I think part of this is the term Rick coined last week, so many see themselves as “dealectors”.  Everyone sees the same aspects with this book.  It’s a beautiful cover with great color strike, we don’t see often, desirable pedigree, highest graded, hot genre.  But it’s not a key.  It’s not a classic cover.  It’s not a camp book.  It’s not safe at 8.5 as highest graded of 3.  It doesn’t stand out as much different from a bunch of other books on the run or from the publisher.  So, I think you have a desirable book with a lot going for it that deserves a multiple to Overstreet.  20x all in, probably not.

I felt like if I had been willing to stretch to $1000 on it, I would’ve given myself an out for stretching relative to fair value because I liked the book.  But maybe a lot of folks felt that way.  In the end, a book is what people will pay.  It’s a beautiful book I’d love to own, just thought that was a bit much.  That said I’d love to own it.  

8 minutes ago, eschnit said:

I think part of this is the term Rick coined last week, so many see themselves as “dealectors”.  Everyone sees the same aspects with this book.  It’s a beautiful cover with great color strike, we don’t see often, desirable pedigree, highest graded, hot genre.  But it’s not a key.  It’s not a classic cover.  It’s not a camp book.  It’s not safe at 8.5 as highest graded of 3.  It doesn’t stand out as much different from a bunch of other books on the run or from the publisher.  So, I think you have a desirable book with a lot going for it that deserves a multiple to Overstreet.  20x all in, probably not.

I felt like if I had been willing to stretch to $1000 on it, I would’ve given myself an out for stretching relative to fair value because I liked the book.  But maybe a lot of folks felt that way.  In the end, a book is what people will pay.  It’s a beautiful book I’d love to own, just thought that was a bit much.  That said I’d love to own it.  

Two other things that added to this copy in my opinion were, even though its unrecognized on the label, its a Maurice Whitman cover, and it apparently has an exceptional color strike for the issue.  I say apparently because I don't trust HAs images anymore.  Still unless they turned oranges all the way red, you don't usually see 59 with such nice reds.

That all said, late run Rangers Firehair covers are kind of my thing, and even I tapped out at $550 think it was just too steep.  I cant help but feel this was the work of two (or more?) deep pocketed people trying to reassemble the Okajima collection.

7 minutes ago, szav said:

Two other things that added to this copy in my opinion were, even though its unrecognized on the label, its a Maurice Whitman cover, and it apparently has an exceptional color strike for the issue.  I say apparently because I don't trust HAs images anymore.  Still unless they turned oranges all the way red, you don't usually see 59 with such nice reds.

That all said, late run Rangers Firehair covers are kind of my thing, and even I tapped out at $550 think it was just too steep.  I cant help but feel this was the work of two (or more?) deep pocketed people trying to reassemble the Okajima collection.

Now this would be a helluva mission.  I don't say anything is impossible, but this is close.

11 minutes ago, szav said:

...my $1000 figure was stretching honestly, out of respect for the bidders above that.  I agree with your $550 number or thereabouts.  I tapped below that.  Figured it'd take $600-1000+ to win it, and decided not to.  It's ironic though,  I think it's safe to say we really like the book, just at what price.  The intro to Firehair, great cover, Rangers 21, highest graded 9.2 went for over $6k a couple months back, might have even been $7k.  No pedigree.  I absolutely loved the book, couldn't stretch near that far on it.   Not only did it go that high, but was sold for more shortly thereafter.  I think the Camp copies are uber special, due to the rarity and significance, but this isn't a camp copy.  The 59 last night feels like a confluence of a lot of things, like you said, it just takes 2. 

On 6/24/2019 at 1:17 AM, szav said:

Zoinks!  I think this is something new that may or may not prove out as an unique one off. 

Non-sig, post camp Okajima's seemed to be pretty consistent 3-6x guide as far I've observed.

Are all Pedigrees in general heating up?  Perhaps Firehair is breaking out?

On 6/25/2019 at 7:52 AM, path4play said:

Zoinks!  I think this is something new that may or may not prove out as an unique one off. 

Non-sig, post camp Okajima's seemed to be pretty consistent 3-6x guide as far I've observed.

Are all Pedigrees in general heating up?  Perhaps Firehair is breaking out?

Does seem really high. I think you're right that non-camp, non-sig Okajima's don't usually command such a premium.

Maybe just a case of two determined bidders duking it out. 

10 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

nice group!   i bought the boy comics from worldwide many moons ago when i first started the ped type-set.  it was raw back then.

You sold too soon!