• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
26 26

1,554 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2019 at 8:29 AM, JimButlerGA said:

Is this the second oldest camp book? I just won it on ComicLink.

7923BE2A-F996-44BA-B0B6-12AD4809B3DD.jpeg

I don't know what this went for and wasn't aware of it prior to the auction but this book exemplifies what's interesting about the collection as much as if not more than just about any other copy I've seen.   To more it's far less interesting to hear that a book has a perfect spine or got a high grade number than it is to hear that a Japanese girl who was forced into an internment  camp purchased a book that depicted racially stereotyped Japanese soldiers with a "secret" plan to destroy the USA.   That starts a conversation with just about anybody.   But if it's a generic non-war comic cover and you're gonna talk about how perfect the corners are and how white are the pages, there's a far smaller subset of people who will find it interesting.    At least, if the people you're talking to are "civilians" out in the world.

Edited by bluechip

2 minutes ago, bluechip said:

I don't know what this went for and wasn't aware of it prior to the auction but this book exemplifies what's interesting about the collection as much as if not more than just about any other copy I've seen.   To more it's far less interesting to hear that a book has a perfect spine or got a high grade number than it is to hear that a Japanese girl who was forced into an internment  camp purchased a book that depicted racially stereotyped Japanese soldiers with a "secret" plan to destroy the USA.   That starts a conversation with just about anybody.   But if it's a generic non-war comic cover and you're gonna talk about how perfect the corners are and how white are the pages, there's a far smaller subset of people who will find it interesting.    At least, if the people you're talking to are "civilians" out in the world.

That’s why it’s the most important book in my collection by far. I only collect WWII covers from the period. This is the grail of grails for a military history buff like me.

1 minute ago, path4play said:

Its the earliest signed book that I am aware of.  The earliest CGC graded Okajima (that I am aware of) is Red Dragon Comics #7 - 3/30/1943                

Thanks for that. This thread has been incredibly helpful to me in understanding more about the story and the pedigree. I now have two signed camp war-related covers and I’m looking for more.

6 minutes ago, path4play said:

I must have missed that auction - were there markings (sign, date or code) on that book?

Yes, there were markings.  I should clarify, though, that it may not have been an auction where it sold last.  GPA shows a sale in November, but I guess it could have been from a dealer's stock rather than an auction.

3 hours ago, nearmint said:

Yes, there were markings.  I should clarify, though, that it may not have been an auction where it sold last.  GPA shows a sale in November, but I guess it could have been from a dealer's stock rather than an auction.

I would have snapped it up at $1395 faster than ComCav's take it bot machine.

Edited by path4play

2 hours ago, nearmint said:

I WISH I had been the guy who got that on the bay but I bought it from the guy who got it there for a multiple.