• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
26 26

1,554 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2020 at 4:10 PM, lou_fine said:

For all of you camp collectors out here, any idea of how much of a hit is applied by CGC in terms of the final grade due to the writing on the covers here?  hm

I just find it rather a bit  :screwy: that CGC would consider telltale pedigree codings as defects and hence would downgrade accordingly for them.  :censored:   

Since the Church Mile High codes are usually always less obtrusive though, I imagine there's much less of a downgrade hit when grading for that pedigree.  Personally though, I would still always prefer a Church book with the Mile High code on it, as opposed to a Church book without the coding.  Then again, that's probably just me.  (shrug)  :takeit:

No grade hit for the pedigree writing on the covers (none of the pedigrees). Okajimas are (on average) not as high grade as other pedigrees, so if you see them in lower grades, it's just cause that's the book. 

9 minutes ago, path4play said:

No one has snapped up the

Whiz Comics (1940) 55 CGC 8.0 Okajima 1488654005

Have we found the current market multiple cap?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Whiz-Comics-1940-55-CGC-8-0-Okajima-1488654005/133391086116

A bit less straight from Lone Star's web site at $3,849.00.  I think it was listed a couple of weeks ago?

12 hours ago, path4play said:

No one has snapped up the

Whiz Comics (1940) 55 CGC 8.0 Okajima 1488654005

Have we found the current market multiple cap?

I said back in '17 and I think it's still close:

Mid-grade camp era books: 5-7x market for non-ped copy (example the Captain Midnight)

High grade, classic cover, or military cover camp era books: 10x market for non-ped copy (example Yank on HA) 

Non-camp era books: 2x market for non-ped copy (but this can swell to 4x market if the market has been okajima dry for a while) (example Firehair on CC a few months back)

I think this falls into the midgrade camp era multiplier so 5-7x a regular copy, and a regular copy sold for just over $200 last year. So if it was listed for $1000-$1400 it'd get picked up. But at 20x market? That's a "I don't actually want to sell this" price.

Edited by miraclemet

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

I said back in '17 and I think it's still close:

Mid-grade camp era books: 5-7x market for non-ped copy (example the Captain Midnight)

High grade, classic cover, or military cover camp era books: 10x market for non-ped copy (example Yank on HA) 

Non-camp era books: 2x market for non-ped copy (but this can swell to 4x market if the market has been okajima dry for a while) (example Firehair on CC a few months back)

I think this falls into the midgrade camp era multiplier so 5-7x a regular copy, and a regular copy sold for just over $200 last year. So if it was listed for $1000-$1400 it'd get picked up. But at 20x market? That's a "I don't actually want to sell this" price.

Seems like the Whiz 55 is priced about the same as the Whiz 58 that sold in the same grade https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/whiz-comics-58-okajima-pedigree-fawcett-publications-1944-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/a/121846

17 hours ago, Tsp99 said:

Fair point, I can't remember but I think that one was a bit of an outlier as it came to market (after someone snagged it off metro who has it raw for like $500 I think, it was only online for a few hours) when the pedigree was first on fire and people were snagging any camp book they could find as the few on market dried up and those Bing listed were very few and far between.

Just now, telerites said:

The seller is a boardie here.  

Yeah, I have grabbed some great books from him. That Superman looks amazing. 

Final price $4658 for Camp Superman #28 CGC 7.0. Dated 3-2-44 (and she accidentally put a 2 instead of a 3 and then wrote over it) and camp code 2N 

Screenshot_20200531-213909.thumb.png.6dd0e63af11977fd0d1ae2e32dd4c235.png

Great write up by the seller who also had some other non-camp Okajima books that did well.

I think $4600 is about 7x which is in line with "midgrade non military books" but I honestly thought it would go higher since it was a Superman. 

54 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Final price $4658 for Camp Superman #28 CGC 7.0. Dated 3-2-44 (and she accidentally put a 2 instead of a 3 and then wrote over it) and camp code 2N 

Screenshot_20200531-213909.thumb.png.6dd0e63af11977fd0d1ae2e32dd4c235.png

Great write up by the seller who also had some other non-camp Okajima books that did well.

I think $4600 is about 7x which is in line with "midgrade non military books" but I honestly thought it would go higher since it was a Superman. 

It would have if I didn't fall asleep, but my cap was $5k. Oh well.... I'll have to wait for another opportunity for my first Okajima Camp book.  Love this thread, thank you to everyone for such well researched information!

10 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Down from the Okajima Superman #26 5.5 that went for $6,600.  Market's get'in flooded with 'em.