• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,557 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2020 at 10:30 AM, sagii said:

Screenshot_20200523-102914_Instagram.jpg

And I'll second what the seller said. This was a previously unknown Okajima book (not on any of my lists, or publications or records), which points to it being from the 3rd "mystery buyer" who the only thing I know about is supposedly he was a buyer of old paper products (books, magazines, comics, newspaper, etc) and who was particularly known for his buying and selling of "smutty" magazines (what ever that may mean for different eras).  Unless someone comes forward, I dont think we'll ever know if there were sales prior to the estate sale, but I could certainly see someone skimming a "Superman" title from the piles if they were trying to just grab the "best" of the books. 

43 minutes ago, telerites said:

I thought this was a strong price for a non-camp book that closed at the same time Adam's group did.

It even had a defect that would turn me off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JUMBO-COMICS-121-CGC-6-0-Fiction-House-1949-KAMEN-BAKER-art-Okajima/324166137640?hash=item4b79ceb728:g:SJkAAOSwjDJevVuP

I actually used to own that one, I might have sold it here.  Went for 2x what I sold it for.

23 hours ago, path4play said:

Down from the Okajima Superman #26 5.5 that went for $6,600.  Market's get'in flooded with 'em.

The 26 was a war cover though. Those generally carry a premium.

2 hours ago, comicnoir said:

You mean like this?

master comics 51.jpeg

If you're keeping the book, yes.

If you're interested in selling to me, nope!

Kidding. Yep, WWII material, especially Asia theater material is the highest multiplier. The only thing that might hold it below the top multiplier is that there are no Japanese soldiers pictured.

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

If you're keeping the book, yes.

If you're interested in selling to me, nope!

Kidding. Yep, WWII material, especially Asia theater material is the highest multiplier. The only thing that might hold it below the top multiplier is that there are no Japanese soldiers pictured.

I dunno, map of Japan with planned bombing raid is pretty powerful soldier or no.  I think this surge on Okajima camp books has persisted long enough that this looks like a 5k+ book easy now.

8 minutes ago, szav said:

I dunno, map of Japan with planned bombing raid is pretty powerful soldier or no.  I think this surge on Okajima camp books has persisted long enough that this looks like a 5k+ book easy now.

I agree, it's easily one of the most desirable camp books! Especially considering her love for Fawcett and Captain Marvel Junior! 

1 hour ago, szav said:

Yep, picking it up for under $100.00 12 or so years ago at my LCS, was the find of the year. The owner of the store didn't know the significance of the writing, a guy who prides himself on knowing everything.

7 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Yep, picking it up for under $100.00 12 or so years ago at my LCS, was the find of the year. The owner of the store didn't know the significance of the writing, a guy who prides himself on knowing everything.

I dont like taking advantage of people, but it felt good pulling a $300 book out of a quarter bin box while the shop owner was bragging to me about how much he makes underpaying for peoples collections.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:48 PM, skypinkblu said:

Since it's not going to be a secret anyway, the Sensation that is listed has no markings. Any opinions before I overbid on it?

Starting in August of '44 the camp markings start to get less consistent. It's possible at that point the camps started consolidating and the PX where she bought comics may not have been open as often, or as well stocked. Camps were deemed illegal in December of '44, and started closing in 45, but there was likely some "writing on the wall" activity in the months leading up to the court decision. 

As a result of all of these real world issues her collection goes through a period of inconsistency until the point when she and her family moved and she started picking up books from her new main source and changed her marking habits as well (the use of an ink date stamp, and no more name on her books) and eventually leading to no markings at all, save for the newsstand/distribution pencil mark from the later years of the collection

Sensation #34 had a "publish date" of 10/44 which means it probably hit the newsstands 1-2 months earlier so 8/44 or 9/44. 

Now August-September was  weird  in my records (and if anyone has other notes from this period Im all ears/eyes)

Mystery Comics 2    8/9/44    4o     notes "Camp 3", no Okajima -script
Whiz Comics #58    8/22/44    4T    No Okajima -script    "Camp I" on cover
Sensation Comics 31     No date, no code       "Okajima" on cover    
Captain Marvel Jr #23    8/26/44    4u    No Okajima -script    
Shadow Comics v4#7    9/2/44    4V    Okajima on cover    
Sensation Comics #35        4X    With Okajima -script    Aprox release date 9/7/44
Police Comics #36    no date    4x        Aprox release date 9/44
Military Comics #34    no date    4xv    no -script    Aprox release date 9/44

As I said, an interesting time in the pedigree. 2 noted camp changes, Camp 3 than then two weeks later camp I (I assume she meant 1). Some books from that time with no reciept date, a few with no codes. 

And then in October and November we start to see her using a date stamp (sometimes on front, more often on back cover) and no use of the code or -script, due to (I assume) her no longer being in the camp and not having to worry about proving ownership of her books anymore. 

13 hours ago, comicnoir said: 

I dont like taking advantage of people, but it felt good pulling a $300 book out of a quarter bin box while the shop owner was bragging to meabout how much he makes underpaying for peoples collections.

• WOW! What else was in the .25 cent box? 

IMG_2532.JPG

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

836056451_shadowokajimav4vcgc800001.thumb.jpg.a26ab06a44eebb220e72a79750f352a4.jpg

I don't see a "2" on the Shadow, just 9- -44 other than that, I have nothing. I have two other 1944 books, but both are earlier than the period you mention.

Is that your book? I ask cause I have some vague recollection of talking to one of its owners who confirmed in hand at some point in the past that the "2" was visible in hand at the right angle (in the black part of the "S", just not in the scan... but that might have been a different book. Also worth noting, my note was off that there was Okajima on the cover, cause I dont see it anywhere! 
(this is what I get for keeping notes all over the place)