• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,557 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

There are not. I spoke with Adam the seller. No interior markings. 

I've always been curious. When there are no tell tale markings how does CGC verify Pedigree?  I know some pedigrees such as Church's books have a distinctive smell. If not how for others? (shrug)

9 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

I've always been curious. When there are no tell tale markings how does CGC verify Pedigree?  I know some pedigrees such as Church's books have a distinctive smell. If not how for others? (shrug)

Master list i think. Small collections like Allentown are easy in that case.

Others like Billy Wright which were bought to market by HA , have the scans we can go by.

Beyond that, yes, it's a good question. 

21 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sensation-Comics-34-OKAJIMA-Pedigree-RARE-Wonder-Woman-WWII-DC-1944-CGC-4-0-/363000195620?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=dTxjqB%2BW%2BfYo6%2FW7rIWJEearf5k%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I haven't sat and watched an auction for the last 10 minutes in years. I was outbid on the Detective,so I upped my bid...but won it for less than my original bid.

It doesn't have the writing, but it's still lovely

:takeit:

Congrats Sha.

Question, did this stash unearthed by Adam/blissard entirely contain all Okajima books?

18 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Had she left camp by the Sensation 34?

I don't think we can say for sure. The camps at that point we're staring to close and consolidate with less and less military supervision.

50 minutes ago, path4play said:

Congrats Sha.

Question, did this stash unearthed by Adam/blissard entirely contain all Okajima books?

Thanks, Ryan:)

I THINK he bought 25 Okajimas, but I am not sure if there were more, he's on the boards so you can ask him:) @Action252Kid

16 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Thanks, Ryan:)

I THINK he bought 25 Okajimas, but I am not sure if there were more, he's on the boards so you can ask him:) @Action252Kid

Sorry, I didn't see this until just now!  Yes, 'all' of the books that I bought from this seller were Okajimas.  I don't have the exact number, but it was somewhere right in that 25-30 book range (I sold the better ones last year on eBay/Heritage -- but I have three up for sale right now, three ready for next week, and then five more (cheaper ones) at CGC right now (just to give an idea of what I have left -- I know spacing them out better could have brought higher prices, but I didn't want it to seem like I had an unlimited supply of these and settled on this being the most transparent way to sell them). 

A decent number of them had the "Okajima" signature on them, most of the rest had front cover codes (the ones you see on those later Jungle/Jumbo issues)/a pencil date written on the back covers, a couple had date stamps that matched up to other books from the collection, and then there were just a couple that had 'no' codes or markings at all (the Sensation was one of those books, the other I believe is the Blue Bolt issue that I currently have listed on eBay).  I was told by the seller that these all came from the same place, and given that nearly all of the books had codes/markings that fit the collection, I was certain that these couple of non-marked books were in fact from the collection.  I hope this helps!

1 minute ago, Action252Kid said:

Sorry, I didn't see this until just now!  Yes, 'all' of the books that I bought from this seller were Okajimas.  I don't have the exact number, but it was somewhere right in that 25-30 book range (I sold the better ones last year on eBay/Heritage -- but I have three up for sale right now, three ready for next week, and then five more (cheaper ones) at CGC right now (just to give an idea of what I have left -- I know spacing them out better could have brought higher prices, but I didn't want it to seem like I had an unlimited supply of these and settled on this being the most transparent way to sell them). 

A decent number of them had the "Okajima" signature on them, most of the rest had front cover codes (the ones you see on those later Jungle/Jumbo issues)/a pencil date written on the back covers, a couple had date stamps that matched up to other books from the collection, and then there were just a couple that had 'no' codes or markings at all (the Sensation was one of those books, the other I believe is the Blue Bolt issue that I currently have listed on eBay).  I was told by the seller that these all came from the same place, and given that nearly all of the books had codes/markings that fit the collection, I was certain that these couple of non-marked books were in fact from the collection.  I hope this helps!

Are there any Flash Comics in the pedigree, other than the 54? Or was that not one of the titles that she regularly picked up?

1 minute ago, IngelsFan said:

Are there any Flash Comics in the pedigree, other than the 54? Or was that not one of the titles that she regularly picked up?

I never had any Flash issues, but that list (several pages back in this thread) is a great resource to see the titles that she collected.  I had a couple of the only Batman/Detective coded issues from the collection, but I can't remember ever seeing any Flash books for sale over the years.

1 hour ago, Action252Kid said:

Thanks makes sense.  Originally when these first starting coming out I was thinking they were a smaller part of a purchased collection, not that all came from same place/time/origin.  Makes it more intriguing.  It wouldn't be the same number of copies that the mystery 3rd buyer would have gotten.  Perhaps someone once grabbed a handful out of the shed along the way.  It seems it wouldn't have been a comic collector, rather someone that that just got a handful once for some reason.

I don't have very many of them but the camp ones I got all came from Ron Murray years ago. Not sure if he was one of the purchasers of part of them or if he got them from someone who was. Ron is one of the great guys in the hobby and did me real well on them. Wish now, I bought a few more when I had the chance...

thanks for sharing the artilce @Robot Man. I wonder where Ron got his info on the drugstore "pull and ship" part of her collection. I hadn't heard that part before. How he differentiates between the books shipped from the pharmacy and the ones bough at the camp PX is a mystery to me. Everything I've looked at among the '43-44 books is generally consistent in the markings. Havent seen anything that would make me think they came from two separate sources, but as we know this pedigree story is a bit mysterious. 

Im going through Rons list now to figure out how many are from the camp era.. .

Just adding to the 43-44 list. 

Early book from the pedigree. No date or code on cover. Purchased around November of 1945. -script name on cover. 

Sold for $2300, So a 10x multiplier. Impressive for a non-military, non-key issue, but these super early '43 books seem to be holding a unique place in the market value due to their early status in the pedigree as exhibited by their inconsistent markings. 

1600694439_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.1d39f8e0816f05a71d528a4dc1b8e6f9.jpg

blissard's (ActionKid's) rolling 'em out weekly now.  Clearly biggest Okajima find unearthed in some decades.  However the collection was acquired, it doesn't seem random as this camp era copies are very heavy D.C. titles.

Superman #31 OKAJIMA Pedigree RARE High Grade WWII DC Comic 1944 CGC 7.5

okajima.thumb.jpg.abbcffa052ab64b0dba8a2cdc6acae27.jpg

3 minutes ago, path4play said:

blissard's (ActionKid's) rolling 'em out weekly now.  Clearly biggest Okajima find unearthed in some decades.  However the collection was acquired, it doesn't seem random as this camp era copies are very heavy D.C. titles.

Agreed. if I'm guessing Im betting these copies have been thru three hands. Original purchases (the mystery 3rd buyer of the 3 buyers who split the collection equally), then Blissard's seller bought them from the original purchaser at some point, Im guessing at an antiquest/paper show a long time ago (supposedly the 3rd buyer was a paper dealer who was more of a "risque pulp and magazine" buyer/seller, not a comic book seller so Im betting his inventory didn't get seen at comicbook shows, but rather more general purpose antique shows) , and Blissard's guy seemed to target the DC books as he picked through the inventory, though others as well, and then Blissard bought them from him... and now they're on ebay!

46 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Agreed. if I'm guessing Im betting these copies have been thru three hands. Original purchases (the mystery 3rd buyer of the 3 buyers who split the collection equally), then Blissard's seller bought them from the original purchaser at some point, Im guessing at an antiquest/paper show a long time ago (supposedly the 3rd buyer was a paper dealer who was more of a "risque pulp and magazine" buyer/seller, not a comic book seller so Im betting his inventory didn't get seen at comicbook shows, but rather more general purpose antique shows) , and Blissard's guy seemed to target the DC books as he picked through the inventory, though others as well, and then Blissard bought them from him... and now they're on ebay!

Sounds logical.  Its slightly odd, that on the one hand the entire collection all consisted of Okajima's (so it wasn't a "collector" but rather a one time purchase/acquisition) and on the other, cherry picked D.C. books