• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,557 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

I think I'm still high bidder, but I'm not sure about the staples. I wonder if they were really all together,  why one book out of the group would have rusty staples ? 

I wasn't sure about the grade, with the rusty staples?

1 minute ago, path4play said:

I wasn't sure about the grade, with the rusty staples?

Me either...I didn't up my bid on the first Superman because I knew about this one and I liked the cover better, but I'm not sure.

4 hours ago, path4play said:

Sounds logical.  Its slightly odd, that on the one hand the entire collection all consisted of Okajima's (so it wasn't a "collector" but rather a one time purchase/acquisition) and on the other, cherry picked D.C. books

Is that what he said? That the collection he bought was only Okajimas? I thought he just meant he bought the okajimas from someone's collection.... 

23 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

Just to clarify, 'all' of the books that I bought from this person (a non-comic seller) were Okajimas.  They were located in the same area as the original find in California, so I was never sure if they could've possibly been related to the actual original owner, came from that estate sale, came from the original owner pre estate sale, etc.  They told me that the books had been in their family for decades, which could mean since the 90's, or further back than that.  The books were all sold to me a few at a time, so I was always holding out hope that I'd get a message one day saying they had dozens or hundreds more, but the three that I currently have listed on eBay are the last of what I had (outside of five other inexpensive ones that are at CGC now).  From what I had, there did seem to be more DC's than you'd expect (some of which were coded but lower grade, compared to others from the collection -- whether the damage (and rusty staples on the Superman) occurred from being stored separately back in the day, or in more recent years, I'm not sure).  I did get two Timely issues from this find, but they were also lower grade.  

Would you able to advise on which Timelys were in the find?

I was surprised at the price for the Superman 31. The 28 went for so much more even though the grade was a tiny bit lower.

I also see that this book, which Blissard sold a few weeks ago, is back up. It appears the winner posted a BIN for that and a Jungle comics, and when it didn't sell they listed it at auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274404252282?ul_noapp=true

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I was surprised at the price for the Superman 31. The 28 went for so much more even though the grade was a tiny bit lower.

I also see that this book, which Blissard sold a few weeks ago, is back up. It appears the winner posted a BIN for that and a Jungle comics, and when it didn't sell they listed it at auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274404252282?ul_noapp=true

Sha where do you see that the seller put it up as a BIN first? @skypinkblu

Edited by Dr. Love

@Dr. Love

I have Okajima on watch, I got an email yesterday. I put it on watch and then it was gone. It showed as ended yesterday, but it's not showing now for some reason. You can see both of the books he/she has up for auction now were bins yesterday.

177462473_Screenshot(18).thumb.png.8fa62e607eec05b2a0bcb7b69ed893af.png

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

6 years ago I missed out on this book. I had just picked up my second  Okajima a month earlier on Clink. This one was in auction, but I was living in Belgium at the time and. If I remember right I woke up too late (it was like 3am local) to get a bid in.

It wasn't listed as an Okajima at the time, and it is still not in a pedigree slab(which I'll be remedying), or even noted with the pedigree by HA. But since I just had to pay well over 3x Overstreet on HA a minute ago (still a great deal) I'm betting I wasn't the only one that knew this books secret....

lf.jpeg.4220238d7e8f8a074b1828ab2b714292.jpeg

Check out the code in the upper right hand corner...

Screenshot_20200628-223235.thumb.png.589c9ba3532423bfdbefc3ffe79cda72.png

Here's the code on the Okajima Superman (pedigree slab, camp code, no signature) that sold on eBay last week... Looks identical.

Screenshot_20200628-223207.thumb.png.464c628799d88aad1918459243ece96d.png

Very excited. And my first military camp era Okajima to boot! 

Congrats! I won the Superman...is that one a camp era book, too since it's got the same code? I honestly was not sure.

8 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Congrats! I won the Superman...is that one a camp era book, too since it's got the same code? I honestly was not sure.

We cant say for sure cause we dont have a definitive chronology of her life or the camp timeline. 

Roosevelt rescinded internment orders on December 17, 1944. Almost all of the camps were closed by the end of 1945. 

I consider 43-44 books to be camp books, especially if they have either the signature or the code. There are a some late 44 books with neither, but that have a date stamp. The first one is a Mystery Comics 4 with a date stamp of 10-21-44. There are more comics with date stamps in November and December. Once we get later into 1945 she had stopped marking books. Superman #33 has a date stamp of Jan 5 1945 on the front cover and Super Magicians has a date stamp of Jan 16 1945. By February the stamping stops (Wow #33, no stamp, no markings) . I dont have a lot of records of 1945 books, her collection seems sparse at that point,but I need to do some more checking on that year. 

I think 1945 was spent moving around both within the camp system, and then out of the camp system. I'm not sure when she and her family were released, but I'm sure it was not an easy process for them to move and set up a new home and coming to terms with the fact that their life before interment was gone. There are only about 30-40  total known Okajima's from this period, and in late '46 the number of books in the collection spikes up once they settle into their new home. Those two years were probably tough, finding work, finding a home, finding a place where they could feel some semblance of a return to normalcy... Late '46 books start to show distributor pencil markings and become consistent (so it seems they had settled in to a home and she found a consistent source for comics).  Just for clarity there are later books with date stamps on the back cover from '47-50 (not consistent), these are from a different stamp than the early '45 books and are post-camp for sure. 

So to answer your question I consider all 43-44 books to be "camp" books. The market seems to treat books with ANY of the camp markings (codes or signatures) as camp books. Date stamped and then unmarked books from 45 may be camp books, but we cant know for sure, and the market seems to not value them as highly, partially because the markings are part of the appeal of the pedigree because they tell part of the story of the pedigree. And as far as my records go the 4xv code is the last code she used. There are no 5s, there are 4x comics (Sensation 35 and Police Comics 36), which were followed by our comics with the 4xv mark. That was the last camp code. 

Just now, skypinkblu said:

Thanks,  Charlie.  You should write a book @miraclemet

I think your Superman was only held back price-wise due to the state of the staples and the discoloration around them. Othewise I would have expected it to land well north of $2k even without the "Okajima" -script. 

6 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

I think your Superman was only held back price-wise due to the state of the staples and the discoloration around them. Othewise I would have expected it to land well north of $2k even without the "Okajima" --script. 

I think so too. I bid half of what I had bid for the 28 and won it for less than my bid,,so I was happy . I got the sensation and this one for less than I bid on the 28, so I'm thrilled. I have a few books with the signature. 

20 hours ago, miraclemet said:

6 years ago I missed out on this book. I had just picked up my second  Okajima a month earlier on Clink. This one was in auction, but I was living in Belgium at the time and. If I remember right I woke up too late (it was like 3am local) to get a bid in.

It wasn't listed as an Okajima at the time, and it is still not in a pedigree slab(which I'll be remedying), or even noted with the pedigree by HA. But since I just had to pay well over 3x Overstreet on HA a minute ago (still a great deal) I'm betting I wasn't the only one that knew this books secret....

Check out the code in the upper right hand corner...

Here's the code on the Okajima Superman (pedigree slab, camp code, no signature) that sold on eBay last week... Looks identical.

Very excited. And my first military camp era Okajima to boot! 

And you waited until now to tell us?!

Nice eye Miracle.

This is my "code only" Okajima.   Police Comics #36 release date 9/13/1944

img125.jpg

9 hours ago, miraclemet said:

We cant say for sure cause we dont have a definitive chronology of her life or the camp timeline. 

Roosevelt rescinded internment orders on December 17, 1944. Almost all of the camps were closed by the end of 1945. 

I consider 43-44 books to be camp books, especially if they have either the signature or the code. There are a some late 44 books with neither, but that have a date stamp. The first one is a Mystery Comics 4 with a date stamp of 10-21-44. There are more comics with date stamps in November and December. Once we get later into 1945 she had stopped marking books. Superman #33 has a date stamp of Jan 5 1945 on the front cover and Super Magicians has a date stamp of Jan 16 1945. By February the stamping stops (Wow #33, no stamp, no markings) . I dont have a lot of records of 1945 books, her collection seems sparse at that point,but I need to do some more checking on that year. 

I think 1945 was spent moving around both within the camp system, and then out of the camp system. I'm not sure when she and her family were released, but I'm sure it was not an easy process for them to move and set up a new home and coming to terms with the fact that their life before interment was gone. There are only about 30-40  total known Okajima's from this period, and in late '46 the number of books in the collection spikes up once they settle into their new home. Those two years were probably tough, finding work, finding a home, finding a place where they could feel some semblance of a return to normalcy... Late '46 books start to show distributor pencil markings and become consistent (so it seems they had settled in to a home and she found a consistent source for comics).  Just for clarity there are later books with date stamps on the back cover from '47-50 (not consistent), these are from a different stamp than the early '45 books and are post-camp for sure. 

So to answer your question I consider all 43-44 books to be "camp" books. The market seems to treat books with ANY of the camp markings (codes or signatures) as camp books. Date stamped and then unmarked books from 45 may be camp books, but we cant know for sure, and the market seems to not value them as highly, partially because the markings are part of the appeal of the pedigree because they tell part of the story of the pedigree. And as far as my records go the 4xv code is the last code she used. There are no 5s, there are 4x comics (Sensation 35 and Police Comics 36), which were followed by our comics with the 4xv mark. That was the last camp code. 

Actually, this is the first date stamp (as far as I know) Police Comics #37, date stamp 10/10/44.  Precedes the Mystery Comics #4 by 11 days.

Can't find full scan of slab, will scan and send.

10-10-44.png

27 minutes ago, path4play said:

Actually, this is the first date stamp (as far as I know) Police Comics #37, date stamp 10/10/44.  Precedes the Mystery Comics #4 by 11 days.

Can't find full scan of slab, will scan and send.

10-10-44.png

Thanks for sharing! Adding to my list. And would love to see a full scan once you have one!