• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,557 posts in this topic

There isn't always a back cover stamp -- that probably is an Okajima

i have a book with an okajima-like post-camp dist. code, but there is nothing on the back cover. i've assumed it is NOT an o'jima.

venus15.jpg

seconded. back cover marks seem less consistent. The front cover distribution mark seems consistent with the early 50s ones.

There isn't always a back cover stamp -- that probably is an Okajima

i have a book with an okajima-like post-camp dist. code, but there is nothing on the back cover. i've assumed it is NOT an o'jima.

venus15.jpg

And looks like Adamstrange used to own Venus #14.

"I used to own the Okajima copy of Venus 14 that was also a "T" code so that does look suspiciously like it might be an Okajima."

Yeah, but can you trust what he says????:insane:

This was the color photo copy used for the cert (I made one for Alan and kept one).

Subby32okajima.jpg

Is there a definitive list of books from the Okajima collection, I know I have at least one raw, but cant remember what :facepalm:

If I seen a list of books, maybe it would be enough to jog my memory and I could try and dig it out :grin:

"I used to own the Okajima copy of Venus 14 that was also a "T" code so that does look suspiciously like it might be an Okajima."

..... you can trust him.... he's helped me "unlearn" many misconceptions. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... you can trust him.... he's helped me "unlearn" many misconceptions. GOD BLESS....

I'll take your word for it but I'm going to keep a close eye on him. Seems a shifty sort of dude. :preach:

@kevinj no there is no definitive list of books from the Okajima collection:(. We been trying to make one but its pretty hard to do with the limited info we have available.

I'll take your word for it but I'm going to keep a close eye on him. Seems a shifty sort of dude. :preach:

you can trust him; just don't get him started on nutrition, mia says.

Is he for nutrition or against it? hm

Was the back cover purchase date (in her hand) common or uncommon for post camp books? I haven't seen a lot of back cover scans.

I've seen about a dozen different 1950-51 Okajimas that had the purchase date written on the back cover in this fashion. More often in pencil than in ink.

Is he for nutrition or against it? hm

He's for it unless you're against it in which case he is too.

Was the back cover purchase date (in her hand) common or uncommon for post camp books? I haven't seen a lot of back cover scans.

I've seen about a dozen different 1950-51 Okajimas that had the purchase date written on the back cover in this fashion. More often in pencil than in ink.

....Thunda 1 from 1952 is also this way. GOD BLESS...

-jimbbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Just want this information to be available in this thread as well.

Original Source

High quality original-owner books from the gold and silver ages are highly prized by comic collectors. The Okajima Pedigree comes from a young female collector from central California who was in an internment camp and accumulated a wide variety of comics from the prime golden age years from 1943 to 1953. The comics were left untouched until they were found at the family home in 1995 and the books were split among 3 buyers in an estate sale. Alan Bahr, owner of Heroes Comics in California, got 415 books. The Okajima books were carefully wrapped in newspaper when they were found and many are notable for their high quality and white pages. Documentation found among the books indicated the books were owned by a young female named Okajima. The books from this pedigree can be recognized by an arrival date on the front cover, a purchase date stamped or written on the back cover or the name Okajima written on the front cover on pre-1945 books. [12]

From a search of the Japanese internment records in the National Archives, surprisingly there are only 6 people with the Okajima name out of thousands of internees. Four of them are from Fresno county in California and are presumably from the same family. Only one of these names is of a young woman, Fumiko Okajima, who was born in America in 1921 and worked on a fruit farm. George Okajima was born in 1925 and was possibly her brother, Takano Okajima born in 1904 in Japan was probably the widowed mother and Yoshi Okajima was another widow (grandmother?) who was born in 1885 in Japan. The first three Okajimas were interned at the Gila River camp in Arizona and Yoshi was interned at the Colorado River camp in Arizona. [13] The Gila River camp was in operation from July 20 1942 to November 10 1945.

Ron Murry, a dealer who had most of the Okajima books pass through his hands, talks about the pedigree in an episode of The Incurable Collector. [14]

Murry says comics were shipped to Okajima while she was in the camp and this raises many questions about the collection. Where were these books purchased? Why did she collect and save so many comics? Did she share them with someone else like a relative or friend? What other books are in the collection? It is highly possible she had a job in the internment camp to be able to afford that many comics. In some cases multiple books were bought in the same month based on the arrival dates seen on some books. Some examples of books from the Okajima predigree owned by board members can be seen here. The original owner of the books must have really cared about the books she accumulated in the camp since it took great effort to keep the books in excellent condition and to transport so many books out of the internment camp.

22751094-cb9.jpg

The Gila River camp in Arizona 1945.

Notes

12 Okajima pedigree certificate, Heroes Comics

13 www.japaneserelocation.org

14 The complete video that aired on A&E in 2001 can be seen here:

[/size][/font]

Edited by Miraclemet