• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
26 26

1,554 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, path4play said:

Well, who really knows for sure?

My logic goes like this.

1, The signing with fountain pen stops Oct 44, at same time date stamp on front starts. The two are not known to co-mingle.  If it was distributor, then there most likely would have been signed copies with a date stamp. To me, it appears she made the change.  Put another way, which is more likely, out of the blue a new distributor appeared on the scene and at same time she stopped signing.  Or she stopped signing, but kept dating?

2, Most internees were still incarcerated Oct 44 to March 45, when as far as I can tell the front date stamp stops.  After that, the new distinguishing markings that appear are distributor marks on the front cover - the pencil T or F followed by a number.  At the same time, now the back cover is stamped with a date (or date written). So now the distributor has clearly changed, but the date marking has not (only its location changed).

That is my best theory, but open to hearing explanation of possible different scenario.

So it was her that wrote the -script Okajima on the front?  For some reason, I thought it was whoever sent the books to her in the camp.

Edited by entalmighty1

22 hours ago, path4play said:

My logic goes like this.

1, The signing with fountain pen stops Oct 44, at same time date stamp on front starts. The two are not known to co-mingle.  If it was distributor, then there most likely would have been signed copies with a date stamp. To me, it appears she made the change.  Put another way, which is more likely, out of the blue a new distributor appeared on the scene and at same time she stopped signing.  Or she stopped signing, but kept dating?

2, Most internees were still incarcerated Oct 44 to March 45, when as far as I can tell the front date stamp stops.  After that, the new distinguishing markings that appear are distributor marks on the front cover - the pencil T or F followed by a number.  At the same time, now the back cover is stamped with a date (or date written). So now the distributor has clearly changed, but the date marking has not (only its location changed).

That is my best theory, but open to hearing explanation of possible different scenario.

Your explanation makes sense to me.  It's a shame that we don't know more about her.  I'm sure her full story would make for fascinating (although sad) reading. 

9 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

So it was her that wrote the --script Okajima on the front?  For some reason, I thought it was whoever sent the books to her in the camp.

I think earlier in this thread there is a photo of the camp store showing magazines and comics for sale.  So, I think she bought the books in the camp rather than receiving them through the mail from someone else.  I could be wrong, but that was my impression. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I think earlier in this thread there is a photo of the camp store showing magazines and comics for sale.  So, I think she bought the books in the camp rather than receiving them through the mail from someone else.  I could be wrong, but that was my impression. 

That is correct (covers were signed by the owner). 

Burred in this very thread (of now 49 pages) it is noted that Ron Murry, in a video from the Incurable Collector TV show, erroneously made the statement "the books were sent to her in the camp."  However, Alan Bahr himself chimed into the thread and said that based on his own research and matching handwriting from a note he found in one of the comics that the books were obtained within the camp and signed by her.

19 hours ago, path4play said:

However, Alan Bahr himself chimed into the thread and said that based on his own research and matching handwriting from a note he found in one of the comics that the books were obtained within the camp and signed by her.

That's awesome.  Would love to see that note.

The Wings will go for WAY over 1600.

At 1600, I wouldn't be able to hand you the cash fast enough.

On 7/11/2018 at 5:57 PM, path4play said:

My logic goes like this.

Noticed this image of a back cover on p. 11 of the thread. Not necessarily indicative of anything, but note both the date stamp and the hand written date. 

image2proxy.jpg

On 7/13/2018 at 2:56 PM, Sqeggs said:

Noticed this image of a back cover on p. 11 of the thread. Not necessarily indicative of anything, but note both the date stamp and the hand written date. 

Yeah, good observation.

Edited by path4play

20 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

war cover; title itself is bellicose; birds and planes both have wings, pretty writing.   what more could i ask?

military31.jpg

The Church copy to go with it?

20 hours ago, deadleg said:

I can’t read it either, but it’s a cool book. I imagine it will hammer above $2K. 

20 hours ago, deadleg said:

Wow, would you look at that!

I had this listed as it was a GPA sale Aug-2015 ($312), but have never seen it.  I think its a 2O (as 2N and 2Q have shown themselves) and this fits right in that gap publication release date wise.  The Issue release date was 2/25/1944.  I think the written date is 3/4/44.

There are books coming out in drips and dabs lately.

Thanks for sharing!!

Edited by path4play

10 minutes ago, walclark said:

$1560 including the BP.

lol

I have a lot to learn.

Still, I wouldn't have felt bad peeling off 1600 for it.