• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,557 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

The Thrilling is coded. If you look to the left of the "T" there is written an F over an 8 over a 12. That is some kind of distributors coding that is consistent with the later Okajimas. I didn't notice it when I was bidding (the ComicLink images were pretty small then) but it was pretty obvious when I got my hands on it. I got confirmation here from some boardies who were a little more versed in the codes.

Thank you, Richard! :foryou:

13 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Ok here are some answers. I've got the collection at 1100ish (maybe it got up to 1200. 

3 original buyers, none of whom were Alan Bahr. One of the three original buyers sold the majority of his original purchase (253 copies to be exact, followed by another 87 the following month for a total of 340) to Alan Bahr the same year as the original purchase. Alan picked up 29 more books from the 2nd original buyer (a paper dealer who frequented the Shrein convention). The paper dealer had already sold most of his share to various regulars of the convention. The third original buyer was another flea market dealer, but I dont think Alan got any books from him as the guy was a little unusual in his sales methods and he had sold them around California to various dealers and collectors but never allowed anyone to buy more than a few books. Ann additional 39 books were found by Alan at a  local comic store, which had purchased them from one of the original three buyers. 

So Alan then had 340+20+39, so 399 books in total. 

One thing Alan noticed was that his part of the collection (largely made from one of the original 3 buyers) was light on the early years of the collection (43-46) and heavier on the mid and late years ) 47-52 (at which point the collection dwindled in the final era 53-55). 

1. Its possible that the books were un-evenly distributed between the three buyers. They were bricked and wrapped, so they may have been "divvied" up still wrapped, or at least without consideration of one brick vs another, so one of the other two may have gotten more of the early books. 

2. Also his early books seemed to be in lesser grades than the ones he came across later in his searches, so did the original buyer just have bad luck or did one of the other dealers "pick" the better condition books? Is it possible that someone else picked books from the collection before the three way division at the estate sale? 

To the point of your numbers. 

The reason that there arent as many post-camp books coming up for sale is

1) they aren't valued as highly so there not the impetus to sell them or more importantly to find them. 

2) they are far more likely to be "undiscovered" in collections since their markings arent as blatant as the camp books and (besides the Bahr books) weren't sold with any certificates. These books were sold when pedigrees were still in flux in the market outside of the top line premium ones. And remember the Okajima collection is neither a) especially large, b)especially high grade or c)especially key filled (in fact I'd argue its one of the least key heavy pedigrees out there). And the camp hype only came along in the last 3 years, so these books had 20 years to get lost in collections. Odds are they are mixed in with peoples collections with no notation, and it's only as they come to market that people might notice the markings. As others have said you can come across a raw non-camp Okajima in auctions, ebay and occasionally at west coast shows because of these factors. 

And to answer your question about how many camp books have Bahr certificates: Based on his lists he had about 25 camp books from '44, another 8 from '43 and another 111 from '45 (not sure how the 43s and 45s were noted, I'd have to go through the list)

Thanks Miracle. I think this is the by far the most detail yet known.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:56 PM, miraclemet said:

this distributor mark is the give away for the later post camp era (theres also an earlier post camp era with a different distributon style mark)

Screenshot_20190216-205453_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6832b9060900ae1ad7dd46776ac4dfc7.jpg

As good a time as any to throw this out there -- here's my Space Detective #1, which I love, had it since '99. Any chance this marking could be that of a post-camp Okajima? Thanks for all opinions. :)

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 3.15.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 3.14.41 PM.png

As good a time as any to throw this out there -- here's my Space Detective #1, which I love, had it since '99. Any chance this marking could be that of a post-camp Okajima? Thanks for all opinions. :)

It doesn't look like any of the post-camp books I have. Mine are all marked "vertically" with the distributor marks. I'm not an expert though.

2 hours ago, jabats said:

I just bought this from Rick.

Another Okajima Camp book that looks like "Okagima" in the signature. 

IMG_8565.JPG.e26e0988bd2c7cc6f9cbc8046290d2da.thumb.JPG.315c70fd16496756bfa90fe133d50274.JPG

Very cool book! Congrats! I remember seeing that one in the box when I bought  some from Ron. Just didn’t have the dough at the time to buy all the ones I wanted. :sorry:

8 hours ago, jabats said:

I just bought this from Rick.

Another Okajima Camp book that looks like "Okagima" in the signature. 

IMG_8565.JPG.e26e0988bd2c7cc6f9cbc8046290d2da.thumb.JPG.315c70fd16496756bfa90fe133d50274.JPG

Nice! I know he picked that up fairly recently, I don't remember if it was from Heritage or eBay but I know it had been on my watch list and I was hesitant because of the "g". Congrats on your new book, the more I look at it, the more I like it:) .

On 2/20/2019 at 4:15 PM, originalisbest said:

As good a time as any to throw this out there -- here's my Space Detective #1, which I love, had it since '99. Any chance this marking could be that of a post-camp Okajima? Thanks for all opinions. :)

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 3.15.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 3.14.41 PM.png

It is not a typical distributor code for an Okajima.

On 2/24/2019 at 1:05 AM, adamstrange said:

It is not a typical distributor code for an Okajima.

I appreciate the clarity! It "rhymed" to me with another purportedly Okajima I saw, but probably wishful thinking. Interesting and too bad, that unless it's clearly a camp book, 2/3rds of the collection extant are mostly to definitely impossible to identify.

5 hours ago, originalisbest said:

I appreciate the clarity! It "rhymed" to me with another purportedly Okajima I saw, but probably wishful thinking. Interesting and too bad, that unless it's clearly a camp book, 2/3rds of the collection extant are mostly to definitely impossible to identify.

If it helps, it's a great book! :foryou:

7 hours ago, SushiX said:

bought this as a okajima:) 

20190227_203022.jpg

Cool, by records I've compiled from this thread, the last known signed/coded book is coded "4x" from 9/13/44.

The first known date stamp is 10/10/44 (there is an earlier Fighting Yank #10 Okajima - the record is from GPA so no photo (aka unknown if signed or stamped).

There is also a date stamped the same day as your Blue Bolt, Shadow Comics #v4#9 [45] (Date Stamp 11/11/44).

Edited by path4play

23 minutes ago, path4play said:

Cool, by records I've compiled from this thread, the last known signed/coded book is coded "4x" from 9/13/44.

The first known date stamp is 10/10/44 (there is an earlier Fighting Yank #10 Okajima - the record is from GPA so no photo (aka unknown if signed or stamped).

There is also a date stamped the same day as your Blue Bolt, Shadow Comics #v4#9 [45] (Date Stamp 11/11/44).

thank you for the info!:foryou:

So are the boards saying that a comic that is date stamped from 1944 and has no other markings could be an Okajima??

Or does that Blue Bolt have other markings that aren't visible in the scan provided by SushiX that would confirm its pedigree?

--ElJay

2 hours ago, path4play said:

is it normal to have 2 stamps Nov 11 44? mine has 1 on front cover and 1 on the back...

9 hours ago, EBE said:

So are the boards saying that a comic that is date stamped from 1944 and has no other markings could be an Okajima??

Or does that Blue Bolt have other markings that aren't visible in the scan provided by SushiX that would confirm its pedigree?

--ElJay

I'm only saying that the date and stamp "fits" into the realm of possibility given the date and timing. I presume other clues like page quality etc., would also be tell-tales.  Nothing short of a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) from the seller I guess would be a guarantee.  Unfortunately, as has been discussed here recently, the majority of copies probably don't have a COA.  That leaves the sellers word, he could probably add to the "provenance" by retelling whose hands it passed through.