• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,557 posts in this topic

I can never remember what I've posted and what I haven't. Here is the other camp copy that I have.

Rangers18_zps4e7a32e2.jpg

That's a new one for my list!

Think I'm going to have to dig through your registry! And maybe your journal....

Here is a scan of the Human Torch #14 Okajima.

HT14okajima_zpse0820c50.jpg

Timely thats amazing. Thats the second earliest Okajima I've seen, and the earliest one with date/code markings. The Startling Comics #24 has the "okajima" -script, but no date or code.

Im guessing that date note is 1-1-44 (its hard to read) and it looks like a "1y" notation... which would be the first book from the "1" series of notations.

Im not sure the validity of Murray's information about the books being ordered and shipped to her at the camp for a few reasons.

1. He mentions that the code markings on the camp books could correspond to housing or bunk assignments, but when you look at the markings thru the camp era collection it is obvious that they are used as some sort of filing/order indica by the original owner.

2. I wonder if his assumption that they were shipped to her had to do with the fact that the comics were discovered wrapped in bundles in packing paper (as if they had been shipped). But I always thought that was just how she (or her family later) stored the comics.

I wonder if he knew that there were PXs on the camp grounds where comics (and other goods) could be purchased? If someone else was sending her the comics from outside the camp I would have assumed a more "girl-subject" slant to the subject matter of the books (especially in that era) versus what was actually purchased.

The idea that Okajima was interred from July of 1942 until Nov of '45 (I dont know this, but Im working under the assumption that most people were processed into the camp around when it opened, and were released when the Internment act was repealed and the camps were closed) means there's a lot of gaps in the camp era collection.

I am aware of zero books form 1942 or earlier (and I'd assume she was not able to bring any books from her home to the camp when they were brought in)

I only know of one book from 1943.

My list is largely from '44 when the "okajima" -script appears on the books.

By '45 (when she would still be in camp) that marking stops appearing and there's examples of date stamps, but there arent many '45 examples out there (Griff has found two)

Did the story of her being in the camp come from one of her relatives? I ask because the background note posted earlier indicates that she was identified through a search of names in the National Archives, which would seem unnecessary if the story was already available from relatives. hm

Here's the link in the thread to the pedigree certificate that has come with some of the Okajimas (depending on which dealer they came from)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7335203#Post7335203

This states the story, and if you look back to earlier links there's a video interview with (name eluding me at the moment) who reiterates the story.

The national archives search basically corroborates the story that was given by the family during the estate sale to the winning bidders. I dont know that the original bidders (who each got 1/3 of the 1200 book collection) knew ALL of the details (which camp, when her and the family entered and were released from the camp) and I've been making inquiries to some of the early owners of chunks of the collection to see what sort of info was passed along (verbally or otherwise).

These are Okajima books that I have or have had.

Kaanga Comics 5 1950 Fiction House Universal 6

Jumbo Comics 136 1950 Fiction House Universal 7.5

Jungle Comics 110 1949 Fiction House Universal 8

Jungle Comics 119 1949 Fiction House Universal 8

Jungle Comics 140 1951 Fiction House Universal 6.5

Jumbo Comics 157 1952 Fiction House Universal 6

Jungle Comics 100 1948 Fiction House Universal 8.5

Rangers Comics 39 1948 Fiction House Universal 9.6

Jumbo Comics 104 1947 Fiction House Universal 8.5

Rangers Comics 44 1948 Fiction House Universal 9

Jungle Comics 105 1948 Fiction House Universal 9.2

Jungle Comics 154 1952 Fiction House Universal 7.5

Wings Comics 98 1948 Fiction House Universal 9

Wings Comics 100 1948 Fiction House Universal 9.2

Exciting Comics 65 1949 Nedor Publications Universal 9.6

Air Fighters Comics v2 #7 1944 Hillman Periodicals Universal 7

Rangers Comics 18 1944 Fiction House Universal 9.2

agree duck. im trying to find specific release dates now. no luck so far. it seems to be a staggered release "which makes sense" Gila river was split into multiple camps.

@MM or anyone who might have a copy of these books. I am still looking for images of the following books so I can add them to our registry "on page 4"

Starting Comics #24

Super Magician v3#1 (3/29/44)

Flash Comics #54 (4/11/44)

Jungle Comics 54 (4/29/ 44)

Superman #29 (5/4/44)

More Fun Comics 98 (5/29/44)

I think most of these were dug up by me here on the boards... let me see what i can find....except for the Superman, that one is visible in the video I linked to in the earlier thread (the dealer describes the date note on it). I have not found a scan of it, just the video.

here's my More Fun 98

uwUuo5e.jpg

Edited by Miraclemet

These kind of threads are what the GA section is all about :applause:

huge wealth of information. (worship)

Does anyone know if there were any Batman's in the collection ?

Have not seen or heard of a single one (Bats or 'tecs) . Maybe there were some in the collection and they got bought (and vaulted) early when the collection was first discovered?

No Actions either... and just one Superman so far. Also no Worlds Finest.

Seems like quite a hole in the 1200 book collection.

She did love her Fiction House though!

Here's one you dont have Griff

Red Dragon #7

H90Z5Ug.jpg

Again, this is why this collection is so amazing to me.

Look at the cover subject matter. Look at the hero killing a Japanese officer.

And these books were being bought by a girl who's parents immigrated from Japan, and she bought them while in an Internment camp.

Stumbled across this scan in some mycomicshop.com archive from a past sale/auction.

This is another early book in the collection ('43)

Also here are some more books, will check on release dates when I have time (and energy) tomorrow...

these were books mentioned as purchased here on the boards (mostly in the "Have a Cigar" thread)

Mary Marvel 5

Thrilling # 60

Thrilling #61 CGC 9.2 Okajima

Thrilling #63

Thrilling #66 back is date-stamped April 12, 1948

There are a few Superman and Batman related issues in the collection. There are more camp books than what you have listed and I'd suggest you contact Steve Ritter to see if he's willing to supply data in advance of the "imminent" publication of the pedigree book.