• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did you come up with your forum name and avatar?
4 4

453 posts in this topic

My avatar is Borat. I've had it for many years (before the movie). Everytime I think about changing it, I just keep it. When people change their avatars, I get all confused as I associate names and avatars.

PIP is the one poster that can change his avatar and I still don't have to do a double-take at the name as he uses the Elvis theme.

Damn and all the time I thought they were self portraits :baiting:

My screen name comes from a metal song called Shape-Shifter by Alabama Thunder- - - - -. I was an impressionable young teenager when it came out in 2002 and have been using the name ever since. Really like werewolves. Later found out it wasn't really about werewolves...Still one of my favorite songs...

This world's holding me by the throat

Choking my words with nylon rope

As I swing in morning brightness

Weakened from a war I cannot win

Only pills will destroy accidental sins

Another rough road to recovery

My shadow wrestles the walls while passing

By the same existing hall that leads to a place

Where worried minds can rest their torment

Eternal Rage

Eternal Rage

Eternal Rage

for a sudden change

[Chorus]

If it's money you're after

I'm not a wealthy man

If it's power you're after

I'll give what I can

Whose bridge did I burn?

Normal living turned disastrous

A dark image painted with the desire once lost

Through the year of several broken hearts I have caused

Revenge has taken its toll

Weather stubborn or forgiving every bit of control is yours to operate

This illness infects the sense we trust

Passion kills not one but all of us

As the connection scrambles and crumbles to dust

Eternal Rage

Eternal Rage

Eternal Rage

for a sudden change

Teardrops from an upset clod

Penetrating my open sores

Clear needles of salt decide

As I painfully wait for a cure

---------------------------------------------

The avatar is from the movie that got me into science fiction which hasn't released it grasp yet. Still one of my top favorites.

Really like werewolves.

My screen name emulates from my desire to rid Earth of werewolves. If there were no Moon, there would be no werewolves.

:mad:

lol

Oil meet Water

Really like werewolves.

My screen name emulates from my desire to rid Earth of werewolves. If there were no Moon, there would be no werewolves.

:mad:

I wanted to quote you, I really did, but...I didn't want to help spread your insanity. :insane:

:D

I actually get asked this a lot so I will gladly answer.

I started in the antiques and the collectibles business at a fairly young age. I was always a very passionate collector who placed quality (i.e. near mint to mint condition items) over quantity. As I started to gong to auction galleries I developed the nick name 'mint' as a result (I am still known by this name to this day). Over time a select few individuals who are also highly active in the business started to refer to me as 'the mint collector' due to not only my love of quality, but also because of the fact I collect coins as well. The name 'mint' stuck with me with only those who know me very well calling me 'mintcollector.' Thus with this, the name 'mintcollector' was born. I have actually had this nick name since the 1990's.

Kind Regards,

'Mint'

Original name on the boards was Doiby Dickles. I had a Green Lantern book in front of me and quickly decided on that name just to get access to the boards. But it was such a dumb name that I eventually just changed it to my eBay handle, Larryw7(which was suggested to me by the eBay prompter when I applied there years ago. I don't put much thought into these things! :lol: ). My name, plus my middle initial(Wayne) and I guess I was the seventh guy on eBay with that moniker.

The avatar is from the cover of Batman 37, probably my all time favorite comic book.

I was posting on a messageboard and the messageboard owner's real-world friend was instigating a flame war with me because we disagree on the worth of some comic art. The informative, friendly, and inviting forum was turned into a board full of arguing, insults, and vitriol. The messageboard owner and I have gotten along fine for years. I did not wish to see the forum turned to the Jerry Springer show. I bowed out, cancelled my account and intended to quit posting. Generally speaking, my presence has a Howard Stern type of an appeal. The people who dislike me are more interested in responding than the people who like me.

The messageboard owner was more upset that I left, and he was hoping that his real-world friend would show some respect for his forum and quit posting vitriol towards me. To solve the problem, I rejoined the board under "Dirk Garthwaite" the alias of Thor's villain "The Wrecker". I like the crowbar being a weapon. From there I simply posted mindless, positive, feel-good encouragement towards everything. I had returned, but the messageboard owner was not aware it was me. When he discovered it was me, that upset him also because he wanted me to use the same name and post the same type of content I did elsewhere online. He revealed who I was and his real-world friend left the board. I cancelled my account again so his real-world friend would feel like posting again, but he didn't. The board went months without posts. I eventually rejoined again using another name which people do know is me. The board has never recovered because his real-world friend was more interested negating my right to an opinion than he was accepting the fact we simply disagree. I set this account up around the same time and it stayed idle for years.

My avatar currently is One-Eyed Winky holding a bag of Corn Nuts. I liked the picture on a post card I got from Tower Records years ago. I carved him out of the postcard and gave him a transparent background. After wasting that much time, I decided to use it as an avatar.

DG

My last name is Sleeper and Rip is also a nickname of one of my older family members. Also I Iike horror movies, books etc.
Wasn't it originally Rip_Van_Sleep? hm

I was reading Essential Silver Surfer when I joined the boards so I used his name on Zenn-La. My avatar is also courtesy of Lebowski (Lebowski avatars were all the rage a few years ago).

yea I just made it shorter.

My forum name is my name...first initial middle initial last name birth year...I'm in the not too much thought to this club...was my ebay name at the time so brought it over...

My avatar attests to me being a Charles Bukowski fan. First was turned on to his writing in 1973 the year I graduated high school...read pretty much everything and then met his future wife circa 1975...Linda Lee Beagle...she had a health food cafe in Redondo Village and we would go in there and trade her joints for smoothies...and my buddy would play his guitar for her...the cafe was called the Do Drop Inn...in Bukowski's book Women he refers to it as the Drop On Inn...real life imitating art imitating life...

Later I was fortunate to attend one of his poetry readings at the old Sweetwater in Redondo in the later 70s...anyone who attended one of those will attest to their greatness...nothing quite like it then or since...

Also he has a connection with Robert Crumb and they were friends and eventually Crumb collaborated in illustrating a couple of his books and they did that pink covered comic book together...

Here's a signed poem I have from him that my brother actually got at a book signing in San Pedro back in the day...lot better than Stan's siggy IMO...

BUKE-1.jpg

My forum name is my name...first initial middle initial last name birth year...I'm in the not too much thought to this club...was my ebay name at the time so brought it over...

My avatar attests to me being a Charles Bukowski fan. First was turned on to his writing in 1973 the year I graduated high school...read pretty much everything and then met his future wife circa 1975...Linda Lee Beagle...she had a health food cafe in Redondo Village and we would go in there and trade her joints for smoothies...and my buddy would play his guitar for her...the cafe was called the Do Drop Inn...in Bukowski's book Women he refers to it as the Drop On Inn...real life imitating art imitating life...

Later I was fortunate to attend one of his poetry readings at the old Sweetwater in Redondo in the later 70s...anyone who attended one of those will attest to their greatness...nothing quite like it then or since...

Also he has a connection with Robert Crumb and they were friends and eventually Crumb collaborated in illustrating a couple of his books and they did that pink covered comic book together...

Here's a signed poem I have from him that my brother actually got at a book signing in San Pedro back in the day...lot better than Stan's siggy IMO...

BUKE-1.jpg

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

To continue on a similar reflection to those of werewolves I have been deadly scared of vampires as a kid, and actually stopped reading Spidey (after one issue) as there was Nightcrawler – and he definitely looked too much like a vampire. :eek:

So I could choose nice Morbius face, maybe? :)

But I also like the idea of an ever-changing avatar following a character or person, like Hado's or Peter in Portugal's, so I might just adopt a Michel Vaillant face?

Problem is Graton is not definitely the greatest in drawing expressions: stories were great but the faces are all not-so-much expressive… hm

tetemv2.jpg

Or maybe the rabbit mascot of the air-conditioning company? :D

vaillant_logo.jpg

What do you advise?

To continue on a similar reflection to those of werewolves I have been deadly scared of vampires as a kid, and actually stopped reading Spidey (after one issue) as there was Nightcrawler – and he definitely looked too much like a vampire. :eek:

So I could choose nice Morbius face, maybe? :)

But I also like the idea of an ever-changing avatar following a character or person, like Hado's or Peter in Portugal's, so I might just adopt a Michel Vaillant face?

Problem is Graton is not definitely the greatest in drawing expressions: stories were great but the faces are all not-so-much expressive… hm

tetemv2.jpg

Or maybe the rabbit mascot of the air-conditioning company? :D

vaillant_logo.jpg

What do you advise?

I like 1992.

-slym

joeypost was a nickname I received back in my serious hockey playing days. I used to cling the pipes at least once or twice a game. It started with "Joe hitting the post again" and was shortened to joeypost.

If you met me in person you would understand the avatar.