• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best auction site to sell OA - Heritage, ComicLink or ComicConnect

80 posts in this topic

For my 2c

This is the way I look at it...

Depending on the value of what's selling I think these are the best venues:

Ebay for 1k (maybe even up to 2k these days) and under pages

Clink for 1k-7k pages

HA for 5k+ pages

A $5K -10K page is likely to get lost in the shuffle in Heritage. In fact, Heritage has so many overlooked pages at that price level, that dealers specifically look for bargains at the auctions for resale purpose.

Of course, if dealers are restocking their inventory by winning lots in Heritage, that means someone just sold their pages for wholesale prices. And to add insult to injury, the sellers has to subtract the buyer fees and seller fees.

What sorts of items would you class as A+ items?

:facepalm:

:facepalm::facepalm:

If you have to ask...

Malvin

You say that but i use to have an early fabulous early BWS Conan splash and from the comments i got it was regarded as a B+ item.

I don't think price is the main issue for a piece to be A+ or not. I think of A+ as the best of the best. An early BWS Conan splash might be spiffy, but not necessarily A+. A BWS Conan splash from Conan 24 Song of Red Sonja or a splash from Red Nails--that's potential A+.

A piece of art from the short list of the greatest comic artists on their best known titles from their peak period with their best inker--that has the makings of an A+ piece.

Scott

yeah exactly. by definition a+ has to be 'unimprovable'. 'the best.'

Probably something worth 50k+ and that might be too low a bar.

Side note Scott - is your collection still on CAF? I tried to look it up earlier and didn't have any luck, I'm not sure if I looked in the wrong place.

Side note Scott - is your collection still on CAF? I tried to look it up earlier and didn't have any luck, I'm not sure if I looked in the wrong place.

The link under his post still takes you right to it. ;)

Prime example: Lee/Williams Submariner splash: A+

I suspect he has sigs turned off lol

Malvin

By Scott's definition, I'd say it would have to be a Uncanny X-Men or Batman page to be an A+ for Lee/Williams.

By Scott's definition, I'd say it would have to be a Uncanny X-Men or Batman page to be an A+ for Lee/Williams.

Possibly, but if you read his comments on that piece, if it's not an A+, it's a strong A.

Malvin

I do indeed :)

Malvin

I do indeed :)

Turn it on temporarily and you will see the link to his CAF!

Malvin

I have sold OA in both Heritage and ComicLink. Have not used ComicConnect.

I can't say that my more expensive pieces have done better on Heritage, although that does seem to be the common perception I hear on these boards. My reality is that I've gotten strong results from both, and I've gotten disappointing results from both. I try not to play favorites because I've done business for years with both and enjoy doing business with both Steve B and Josh.

I believe that truly B+ to A+ pieces are going to get strong results regardless of which service you use. Truly engaged collectors know what's in the auctions at each auction house -- especially pieces at that level. If someone has the money to go after high end or extremely desirable art, and they are serious comic art collectors, I really doubt that there is a "marketing machine" advantage. It's ultimately going to depend on what else is in the same auction (or competitive auction since Clink and Heritage seem to have auctions within weeks of eachother EVERY time) that might pull attention or $$ away from the piece you are selling, whether you get two or more people competing hard for the same piece, what the financial tone is of the economy that month, and probably 100 other somewhat tangential factors.

2c

Seems like HA.com may get you the higher hammer price perhaps due to their time payment plan for higher end OA. ComicLink seems to net you more $ for middle of the road or non-cover, non-splash OA but keep in mind no time payments. I have not tracked cConnect OA.

FYI - We do accept time payments! This is posted to every main auction page: "Time payments may be extended to bidders in this auction if arranged for prior to bidding."

-Josh

Does anyone truly think that Heritage could have gotten more than $221,000 for this item than ComicLink did? -Josh

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?id=958108&showprice=1

As someone else said, for A+ material, I don't really think it matters what auction house you use. Unless its so obscure that no one in the OA world knows about it, once the word it out, the interested parties will bid no matter what the forum.

Malvin

I guess Heritage could say the same about the return to their consigner(s) when it comes to those McFarlane prices, pretty much blew away anything we have seen at a live auction. I still can't believe someone would pay that much for that stuff but the boys at Metro did confirm that they were the buyer of one of them so go figure. (shrug)

Does anyone truly think that Heritage could have gotten more than $221,000 for this item than ComicLink did? -Josh

I actually do think it would have done better on HA. The time payments are nice, and I think would have enticed someone(s) to bid more than that.

Or this, the first and only Ditko page to break $100K to date? I think it's also a record for any Silver Age panel page, Kirby included. It compares favorably to any Silver Age result you can find as having sold on Heritage. -Josh

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?id=932967&showprice=1

FF 55 page @ 155K, right? Not as many panels, but still a panel page.

Or this, the first and only Ditko page to break $100K to date? I think it's also a record for any Silver Age panel page, Kirby included. It compares favorably to any Silver Age result you can find as having sold on Heritage. -Josh

Not to bust your balls though, Heritage takes such a giant bite that I'd tend to sell with C-Link, I think.

Not to bust your balls though, Heritage takes such a giant bite that I'd tend to sell with C-Link, I think.

I'd consider the FF 55 page a half splash. Heritage did too, as you can see from the title:

"Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #55 Spectacular Silver Surfer Half-Splash Page 3 Original Art"

It's also the best Kirby Surfer image that has ever come to market in a public auction format.

I actually do think it would have done better on HA. The time payments are nice, and I think would have enticed someone(s) to bid more than that.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion! However, we actually offered time payments to a number of serious bidders on that story. As I mentioned, we do take time payments and post that we do, as long as the buyer prearranges it with us before bidding. -Josh