• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ACA Comix No. 1 The Death's-Head Knight by John Byrne CGC Graded 8.5

20 posts in this topic

AKA... John Byrne's Ultra Rare First Published Comic Book!

Last December, on the 27th to be exact, I shared my little story of how I walked into Midtown Comics Grand Central and walked out with this ultra rare Holy Grail... for only $3. That's right... only three dollars! And the original sticker price on the comic was $5, however, MCGC was running a 40% sale on all back issues. So when all was said and done, I walked away with this piece of comic book history for just three bucks! Incredible!

And what exactly is ACA Comix No. 1?

ACA Comix No. 1 is an Alberta College of Art (ACA) publication (May, 1971); a "brochure" featuring the very first published comic book written and illustrated by the man himself, John Byrne, when he was an art student. Fast forward 42 years, and the color-blind, English born but Canadian bred writer/artist, has achieved legendary status for his work on Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, Alpha Flight, Fantastic Four, Superman, and his creations Rog-2000, Doomsday Plus 1, Danger Unlimited, and Next Men.

From an interview conducted by Jon B. Cooke, which appeared in Comic Book Artist #12, John Byrne states, "Not sure I would actually have called it my "first full-length comic story." Death's-Head Knight was a project done for the Alberta College of Art, which I was attending at the time. The curator of the gallery had brought in a comic art show, and needed a "brochure" to be given away at the door. He asked me if I could prepare something on relatively short notice, and I did, some 20 pages, each double-width. It was a sword-&-sorcery story."

I honestly have no idea how many "brochures" were printed, but I am going to take a guess and say anywhere between 500 to 1,500 copies. The big question: How many have survived for over four decades? I am confident the vast majority have sadly, ended up in the trash. And according to the CGC Census, what I have in my possession is only the second graded copy... and I am exuberant to know it is the highest graded of the two, having been graded an 8.5.

If you visit John Byrne's website, Byrne Robotics, you can click and view his scanned panels of the comic book brochure: http://www.artofjohnbyrne.com/gallery/earlydays/collegedays/.

Anyway... for all you rabid JB fans... here it is... a picture of the ACA Comix No. 1 encapsulated and graded.

Thanks for reading... and as always Happy Collecting!

SW3D

14109.JPG

See more journals by screenwriter3d

AKA... John Byrne's Ultra Rare First Published Comic Book!

Last December, on the 27th to be exact, I shared my little story of how I walked into Midtown Comics Grand Central and walked out with this ultra rare Holy Grail... for only $3. That's right... only three dollars! And the original sticker price on the comic was $5, however, MCGC was running a 40% sale on all back issues. So when all was said and done, I walked away with this piece of comic book history for just three bucks! Incredible!

And what exactly is ACA Comix No. 1?

ACA Comix No. 1 is an Alberta College of Art (ACA) publication (May, 1971); a "brochure" featuring the very first published comic book written and illustrated by the man himself, John Byrne, when he was an art student. Fast forward 42 years, and the color-blind, English born but Canadian bred writer/artist, has achieved legendary status for his work on Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, Alpha Flight, Fantastic Four, Superman, and his creations Rog-2000, Doomsday Plus 1, Danger Unlimited, and Next Men.

From an interview conducted by Jon B. Cooke, which appeared in Comic Book Artist #12, John Byrne states, "Not sure I would actually have called it my "first full-length comic story." Death's-Head Knight was a project done for the Alberta College of Art, which I was attending at the time. The curator of the gallery had brought in a comic art show, and needed a "brochure" to be given away at the door. He asked me if I could prepare something on relatively short notice, and I did, some 20 pages, each double-width. It was a sword-&-sorcery story."

I honestly have no idea how many "brochures" were printed, but I am going to take a guess and say anywhere between 500 to 1,500 copies. The big question: How many have survived for over four decades? I am confident the vast majority have sadly, ended up in the trash. And according to the CGC Census, what I have in my possession is only the second graded copy... and I am exuberant to know it is the highest graded of the two, having been graded an 8.5.

If you visit John Byrne's website, Byrne Robotics, you can click and view his scanned panels of the comic book brochure: http://www.artofjohnbyrne.com/gallery/earlydays/collegedays/.

Anyway... for all you rabid JB fans... here it is... a picture of the ACA Comix No. 1 encapsulated and graded.

Thanks for reading... and as always Happy Collecting!

SW3D

14109.JPG

See more journals by screenwriter3d

Dear SW3D,I remember quite clearly on (December 27) reading your previous journal post in how you came across this rare piece of Comic History!! I loved reading your personal story!I am glad to see that you finally received it back from the CGC, and it looks GREAT!!! I would love to own one of these someday! Congratulations!! (thumbs u-Professor Pecora

Dear SW3D,

First off, it's good to see you back on the journals! Secondly, congratulations on the grade, you have a real beauty on your hands!

I love reading stories like this, both interesting in historical meaning (as Byrne's first work) and personal meaning (how you fond this in a bargain bin).

Brandon

Dear Prof,

I'm glad to read you liked the original journal enough to actually remember it.

I was just in Midtown Comics this afternoon, scoping out the vintage racks, but ended up buying some variant covers of Guardians of the Galaxy 5 with Angela.

I have yet to tell anyone at Midtown Comics the story about ACA Comix. I kinda feel like a heel about it... like I "stole candy" from my favorite store.

Anyway... I'm so happy to have this in my collection. It is for me my one and only bonafide holy grail... so rare, so unique, and for the moment, on the top of CGC census in terms of grade... I really feel blessed to have it.

SW3D

Edited by SW3D

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for reading my journals and welcoming me back.

I see you and the Professor have been tremendously busy posting some really neat journals of late. I delight in reading your love for the X-Men; next to the Fantastic Four, they are my favorite team comic. And I grew up on the stuff you have been discovering of late, my first book being Uncanny X-Men 129... so you've brought me down memory lane with the whole Dark Phoenix reminising... can't wait to read another entry from you.

I remember you were also a big Batman fan, and recall reading about how much you loved Hush. I would love to read more cherised moments about Batsy.

SW3D

Edited by SW3D

Dear Logan,

Believe it or not, I was thinking about you when I first opened the box. I just thought: "Of all the people and collectors in this world, who would really appreciate this moment?... and of course your name came to mind. And it's funny, because, as much as I love this comic, I know you would love it even 10,000 times more.

One sad note... I think about what had been discussed back in December: John Byrne would probably not appreciate seeing his creation encapsulated... for where is the joy in not being able to read a comic book? So I look at it and I wonder if I made the right choice.

SW3D

Thanks Sean,

I submitted it to CGC at Wizard World last month... and it came back in less than 30 days. For me that is like express delivery.

Back in late December, when I first did a check of its condition, I predicted it would land anywhere between 8.0 and 9.0... and I am impressed by the accuracy of my grading skills for 8.5 is right smack in the middle.

And... because I am a grade purist... this comic book was not pressed! So an 8.5 is an 8.5! :)

SW3D

That is such a terrific find... I always considered myself a big John Byrne fan but I didn't even know about this book. So much for that thought, huh?

Thanks for sharing that treasure!

Dear Prof,

I'm glad to read you liked the original journal enough to actually remember it.

I was just in Midtown Comics this afternoon, scoping out the vintage racks, but ended up buying some variant covers of Guardians of the Galaxy 5 with Angela.

I have yet to tell anyone at Midtown Comics the story about ACA Comix. I kinda feel like a heel about it... like I "stole candy" from my favorite store.

Anyway... I'm so happy to have this in my collection. It is for me my one and only bonafide holy grail... so rare, so unique, and for the moment, on the top of CGC census in terms of grade... I really feel blessed to have it.

SW3D

If they didn't know what they had, then it is no fault of their own, besides they probably made money off their Guardians of The Galaxy variant. It's a good book and one of those diamonds in the rough that you love to hear about, glad it was you. Cherish it, because I know you love it.

Dear Logan,

Believe it or not, I was thinking about you when I first opened the box. I just thought: "Of all the people and collectors in this world, who would really appreciate this moment?... and of course your name came to mind. And it's funny, because, as much as I love this comic, I know you would love it even 10,000 times more.

One sad note... I think about what had been discussed back in December: John Byrne would probably not appreciate seeing his creation encapsulated... for where is the joy in not being able to read a comic book? So I look at it and I wonder if I made the right choice.

SW3D

I don't really hate you by the way, just super duper jealous. Hopefully you looked through it before getting it slabbed? I know you can read the story online, but it isn't the same thing IMHO. Personally I don't know if I would've gotten it slabbed or not...I think it looks really cool in the slab and it's such an interesting and unique piece of history, it's nice that it's prrotected. Honestly, I wish I had that problem to mull over :)

Congrats again on a great find and having the highest on the census (worship)

Guest john keyt

Congrads on your find I wish my copy was as high as grad as yours mine a 5 at best. Wonder how many more are still around . I was told that only 500 were ever produced. I read mine many a times over the years .As I was saying in pm my dad got mine for me right at the show .John even offered to sign it but my dad figured I would never have it long .Was my first comic ever and now 42 years later still got it . Actually got back into collecting about 3 years ago and finished a bunch of stuff off . Now am enjoying reading all them . This is my most treasured comic and my second is Captain Canuck issue 15 ( only 150 produced got issue 9 of 150 ) got this a few months back from the writer himself Mr Richard Comely .Thanks .

• Administrator

This is the original view of this journal on the Chat Boards. This view is locked, so members can no longer reply here.

This journal is also posted in the new Journals section, which is unlocked. Click the link below to see any other comments about this journal and post new replies.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/blogs/entry/3106-aca-comix-no-1-the-deaths-head-knight-by-john-byrne-cgc-graded-85/

• Administrator

You can also click "My Journal" in the main menu to quickly find your own journal, journal entries, and replies.

07 My Journal CGC.png

And you can search all journals by using the search tool.

08 Search Journals CGC.png

• Administrator

You can find journal entries by a specific author by using the search tool and visiting their profile, and you can follow members to get notifications when they post new content.

09 Members Journals CGC.png