• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Owner Golden Age Collection Coming to Market - Southern States

36 posts in this topic

LINKS TO ALL THE SOUTHERN STATES COPIES FOR SALE CAN BE FOUND HERE.

Hey everyone,

Earlier this year we acquired a 1,700 piece original owner first issue comic books, pulps and magazines published from the 1930's to the early 1960's. Most of the items were original news stand purchases. The comic portion of the collection is heavy on esoteric and hard to find comics, lots of crime, romance, teen, western, horror and war. Several comics undocumented in guide (for more on these see our market report in Overstreet), rare annuals, Bill Ward covers, L.B. Cole covers, Matt Baker art, pre-code horror and crime, Atlas, Timley, Avon, St. John, Fox, etc. The original owner had lived all over the south from Texas to Florida. Although the books had been moved periodically they stayed in generally nice condition (books have been averaging about 7.0/7.5 with many 8.5 and up).

We recently got a large portion of the comics back from CGC and several of the comics are the highest graded or only copy on the CGC census.

We are going to begin offering these on Sunday August 4th. We plan to offer several of the graded books exclusively on the CGC boards, we will also post several for sale on our website, auction a few through eBay and have several exclusively available at our booth at the Tampa Con. The magazines, pulps and related materials will be offered through our website.

You can read a little more about the collection here.

I will use this thread to announce as soon as portions of this collection are made available.

Here are a couple pics of some of the collection:

ssg1.jpg

ssg2.jpg

And here are a couple pictures of a few of the graded comics we just got back:

sscgc1.JPG

sscgc2.JPG

Hey all, I've been having tons of fun processing this collection the last couple days. Please check back here Sunday evening and I will post all the info on how to get these beautiful books into your hands. In the meantime here is a little preview of some of the books I have been feverishly cataloging and scanning...

ssg01-013.jpg

ssg01-015.jpg

ssg01-019.jpg

ssg01-024.jpg

ssg01-025.jpg

ssg01-021.jpg

So here we go, tonight we will be offering up a few tasty morsels of rare comic goodness.

Lets start with an eBay auction, this one is for DARING LOVE #1, a great romance book with a wonderful cover that also happens to feature the first published work by STEVE DITKO. Don't sleep on this one.

Bang it here to get in on the a(u)ction.

ssg01-020.jpg

Now for direct sale, 14 very cool first issue Golden-Age comics. Plus all orders receive free shipping in the U.S!

Check them all out here! Search "SSG" in the SKU field to see them all.

Attack #1 7.5 (Ultra violent war comic)

Blue Circle #1 7.0

Captain Wizard #1 8.5

Devil Dogs #1 8.0

Gem #1 9.4 (Witch doctor bondage cover!)

Jughead's Fantasy #1 7.0

Jughead's Folly #1 8.0 (First Elvis in comics)

Katy Keene Glamour #1 7.0

Mitzi #1 8.5

Monty Hall of the U.S. Marines #1 5.0

My Girl Pearl #1 8.5 (Stan Lee story, Atlas)

Voodoo #1 6.0

Warpath #1 7.5 (Bondage cover)

Witty #1 8.0 (Wild WWII cover)

Your Mask for sale and mine are two of the three in the 7.0 census it's looks great having trouble with your links on some of your sights in viewing the books.Thanks!

So you guys didn't get the Pedigree designation that you were looking for?

We were told directly that there would be a pedigree designation made but somehow after we officially submitted a lion's share of the comics for grading they changed their mind...