• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

National Diamond Insert
2 2

39 posts in this topic

I recently picked up a copy of Conan the Barbarian #24 and it has a National Diamond Insert. I had heard of the Mark Jeweler's ones but never these. Not much discussion found via the search function. Are these somewhat rare vs. the Mark Jeweler's? Does it increase the value in anyway? Can I send my kid to college with the profits?

:gossip::jokealert:

Book can be sen in the grading section:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6919712#Post6919712

Interesting. I picked up the same book this week. To my knowledge, NDI came before Mark Jewelers inserts, and for a very select few collectors, they are collectible (just like MJ inserts) - I'm not sure you can get a premium for the book with that insert because I believe it ran with the same amount of insertion.

The National Diamond inserts are only rarer than Mark Jewelers inserts because they bought fewer months' worth of ad space. You'll also find Alka-Seltzer and Mennen inserts.

For a number of years (with only a few exception), inserts were paid for by advertisers for overseas troops' copies. Mark Jewelers were the company that bought the most, but many of the early months (during '72 and '73) were actually National Diamond inserts.

This is my first insert ( lol that should make the out of context thread) and initially thought it was a Mark Jeweler one.Didn't realize there were so many. Has anyone ever compiled a listing of books that have them?

The National Diamond inserts are only rarer than Mark Jewelers inserts because they bought fewer months' worth of ad space. You'll also find Alka-Seltzer and Mennen inserts.

For a number of years (with only a few exception), inserts were paid for by advertisers for overseas troops' copies. Mark Jewelers were the company that bought the most, but many of the early months (during '72 and '73) were actually National Diamond inserts.

Great bit of info. Thanks. (thumbs u

Yea I noticed that it said something about servicemen. Were they just put in issues for military subscribers then?

Great bit of info. Thanks. (thumbs u

+1 Would love to know more about these if anyone has any links or info.

Yea I noticed that it said something about servicemen. Were they just put in issues for military subscribers then?

My understanding is these were shipped directly to overseas military bases.

Correct.

They were never available within the US.

That was quite educational - thanks, Nick. (thumbs u

Possibly something you have first-hand knowledge of because of the Mildenhall collection? :)

That was quite educational - thanks, Nick. (thumbs u

Possibly something you have first-hand knowledge of because of the Mildenhall collection? :)

Yup. (thumbs u Huge numbers of them had the inserts, which actually helped preserve the condition in many cases. It's like having a backing board at the centrefold.

Correct.

I collect spidey ND & MJ inserts and I've heard 1st hand accounts of these issues being available at PX's within the US. I tend to believe this as they are way too common to only have been available overseas and then somehow make it back to states.

Has anyone physically seen an Amazing Spider-Man #96 with a ND insert? I have heard that was the first possible issue of spidey but I have never seen one. I have found 2 copies of 97.

So....has anyone seen a ww199 or ww200 with it??????????????

Aren't those 52 pagers? Typically you don't see the inserts in anything other than standard comics. Could be wrong though. DC books are typically a little tougher to find with inserts than Marvel.

Correct.

So have we ever seen print numbers on them? They must be low.

So....has anyone seen a ww199 or ww200 with it??????????????

Aren't those 52 pagers? Typically you don't see the inserts in anything other than standard comics. Could be wrong though. DC books are typically a little tougher to find with inserts than Marvel.

:(

Correct.

I collect spidey ND & MJ inserts and I've heard 1st hand accounts of these issues being available at PX's within the US. I tend to believe this as they are way too common to only have been available overseas and then somehow make it back to states.

Has anyone physically seen an Amazing Spider-Man #96 with a ND insert? I have heard that was the first possible issue of spidey but I have never seen one. I have found 2 copies of 97.

As far as I'm aware, it was only overseas and here's Jim's site with all the details...

http://www.awe4one.com/NDS-MJ%20Inserts/Insert%20webpage.html