• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Conan Cover in Comic-Magazine Medium?

8 posts in this topic

Anyone have a clue how this badboy should be handled? The book is "I'll be Damned" #1 . It has a simply stunning cover by Frank Frazetta titled "Conan the Fearless"

This book was printed in May of 1970 and was limited to 1000 copies. Obviously predates Conan the Barbarian #1 by 5 months and Savage Tales #1 (first Conan App. in Magazine) by a good 7 months or more.

Thoughts?...Do many Conan fans know of this issue?

604535-I%5C%27ll_Be_Damned_1_1970.jpg

589a8d34bbc09_604535-Ill_Be_Damned_1_1970.jpg.0d6f4f209c73ce017b4699f93ee96806.jpg

I'll ask over on my comic group , see if anyone knows anything about it.

Terry

Join The Robert E Howard Comics Group

Check out : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/

The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane OUT NOW !

Sounds good Terry. Keep us posted. I would love to know more about it. I know that it must have good value since it was limited to only 1000 copies. I might end up placing one for sell if a party is interested.

-bounty

Couple of snippets about the magazine as follows . I'd say it would probably appeal to the general fantasy crowd rather than_ just_ Conan / Frazetta fans but they'd certainly be interested too I'm sure . Of course Conan's original appearances in both magazines and comics pre-dates those mentioned with his '30's Weird Tales debut and the unauthorised Mexican comic adaptation of Queen of the Black Coast in the '50's.

" Before I sold my collection in the late seventies, I had two issues

of I'LL BE DAMNED. It was basically an art fanzine, with Frazetta,

Krenkel, Williamson, Jeff and Bruce Jones, etc. One issue had a

Wrightson story which was eventually reprinted in a color comic and

is in one of the collections of Wrightson art. It was similar to

other such zines at the time, a contemporary with Squatront, Reality,

and a bunch of others. "

and

" This was published by Mark Feldman in 1970. Cover art by Frank Frazetta.

Artists- Wrightson, Jeff Jones, Mike Kaluta and

Vaughan Bode'.

Front and back cover by Frazetta. Inside there are illustrations

by BERNI WRIGHTSON/FRANK FRAZETTA/VAUGHN BODE/JEFF JONES/MIKE

KALUTA/JIM STERANKO/RICH CORBEN/DAVE COCKRUM/STEVE HICKMAN/TOM

SUTTON, and more. There are also interviews with many of these

artists. A very well put together fanzine."

Terry

Join The Robert E Howard Comics Group

Check out : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/

The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane OUT NOW !

Posted over on Conan.com

Terry

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/

We're about a month away from the release of the next trade paperback, THE BLOODY CROWN OF CONAN, and I just saw the loose pages last week. They look GREAT! Gary's artwork looks as terrific as ever, and the paintings adapted to black and white brilliantly. Thank Crom for a first-class production department like we have here at Del Rey.

Remember the challenge, though. The book hits stores Tuesday, November 23, and all you Howard fans need to lay siege to your local book store. Buy your copies as soon as you can after Nov. 23. If you all hit the stores at once, we have a shot at getting onto the New York Times bestseller list. Won't that freak out the literary types!

There are a lot of book stores out there that only sell the bestsellers, so when BLOODY CROWN hits the list, hundreds of new stores will have to carry it. I think it's only actual "brick and mortar" stores--not the online stores--that report to the Times list, but if you've ordered from an online store, don't worry--that'll help, too. The higher we go on the online ratings, the more buzz we'll generate. So it's all good.

Steve Saffel

Editorial Director

Del Rey Books