• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Death of Superman and Reign of Supermen - all issues and variants
13 13

404 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, revat said:

Can you show us a picture of it? I didn't know that one existed...

Action Comics 683 3rd print was once mentioned on MyComicShop website but without a photo.  I don't know of anyone who has ever seen it.

15 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Found 2nd and 3rd prints of Superman 498 this weekend.  Are those rare?

No.

In order of rarity, from most common, to most rare:

ALL 1st printings, Direct and newsstand. Newsstands are a bit less common than Directs, but far and away, these books are miles more common than their corresponding later printings listed below.

Superman #75 2nd,3rd,4th/AOS #498 2nd, 3rd/AOS #497 2nd, 3rd/Action #684 2nd, 3rd/Action #685 2nd, 3rd/Superman #74 2nd, 3rd

Justice League #69 2nd,3rd/MOS #17 2nd/MOS #18 2nd/MOS #19 2nd

AOS #496 2nd/MOS #17 2nd/Action #683 2nd/Superman #73 2nd

MOS #18 3rd/Legacy of Superman #1 2nd/Superman #75 4th News

AOS #498 4th/JL #69 4th/MOS #19 3rd, "4th"

Superman #77 2nd/MOS #18 5th

MOS #18 4th/Superman #75 3rd News

Superman #76 2nd/Superman #77 3rd

Action #686 2nd/AOS #499 3rd/MOS #20 2nd

There is no AOS #499 2nd that anyone has found.

I think that's about fair. Kirk, @combiner1, what say you?

Note: All of these books have both Direct and newsstand versions of the first printings, all of which are as common, or more common, than the above.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus
Added missing books

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No.

In order of rarity, from most common, to most rare:

Superman #75 2nd,3rd,4th/AOS #498 2nd, 3rd/AOS #497 2nd, 3rd/Action #684 2nd, 3rd/Action #685 2nd, 3rd/Superman #74 2nd, 3rd

Justice League #69 2nd,3rd/MOS #17 2nd/MOS #18 2nd/MOS #19 2nd

AOS #496 2nd/MOS #17 2nd/Action #683 2nd/Superman #73 2nd

MOS #18 3rd/Legacy of Superman #1 2nd

AOS #498 4th/JL #69 4th/MOS #19 3rd, "4th"

Superman #77 2nd/MOS #18 5th

MOS #18 4th

Superman #76 2nd/Superman #77 3rd

Action #686 2nd/AOS #499 3rd

There is no AOS #499 2nd that anyone has found.

I think that's about fair. Kirk, @combiner1, what say you?

Your list looks good to me.   Don't forget about MOS #20 2nd print (DC Universe variant).   That might be one of the hardest of all the subsequent printings to find.

There's also a MOS #19 and 20 first print with reader surveys, if you want something that's really hard to find.

As shown on the first page Superman 75 has UPC's for all the printings too.  My experience is that the 1st and 4th are common.  The 3rd is tricky.  There are sticker UPC's for the 2nd and 4th, which are very tricky (and disputable if they belong to the set).  The stickers are over the direct sales text.

4 hours ago, kenaran said:

As shown on the first page Superman 75 has UPC's for all the printings too.  My experience is that the 1st and 4th are common.  The 3rd is tricky.  There are sticker UPC's for the 2nd and 4th, which are very tricky (and disputable if they belong to the set).  The stickers are over the direct sales text.

Thanks for weighing in.  I agree the newsstand variants needed to considered, and your assessment of rarity looks spot on to me.

5 hours ago, kenaran said:

Again....I'm not willing to call the stickered copies "UPC" copies, even if they were stickered by DC. They're not printed, which is the key. There's no Superman #75 2nd UPC, like there is 3rd and 4th.

5 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Your list looks good to me.   Don't forget about MOS #20 2nd print (DC Universe variant).   That might be one of the hardest of all the subsequent printings to find.

There's also a MOS #19 and 20 first print with reader surveys, if you want something that's really hard to find.

Oops...forgot MOS #20 2nd. It's as hard as AOS #499 3rd and Action #686 2nd.

Will also add #75 3rd and 4th newsstands.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:20 AM, kenaran said:

Speaking of MOS #20 2nd I just got this in the mail last night.  I should not have won the auction with what I bid, but that does happen from time to time. Technically my 2nd copy, it's actually in amazing condition, just a couple of minor spine ticks, only one color breaking (and barely at that).

IMG_4438.thumb.jpg.bf7fb40fb3875bfb4c2d2b76f392ebd9.jpg

awesome kenaran.  That is really rare to find the "death" DCUs still in the pack.

Just did a fine-tooth comb check, MOS 17 is listed twice.  If you want to add the "Reign" issues Sup 82 has 2 and GL 46 has 2.  Sup 82 can be tough, I've found two in the wild.

Also, I remember that there is an image of Action 683 3rd, I think on the back of a box type multi-pack, or maybe a TPB back cover.  I'm striking out finding an image of that set though.  I've yet to see the issue, or hear of someone having it.  I suspect it'll be a permanent addition to my want list, along with AOS 499 2nd.

4 hours ago, kenaran said:

Just did a fine-tooth comb check, MOS 17 is listed twice.  If you want to add the "Reign" issues Sup 82 has 2 and GL 46 has 2.  Sup 82 can be tough, I've found two in the wild.

Also, I remember that there is an image of Action 683 3rd, I think on the back of a box type multi-pack, or maybe a TPB back cover.  I'm striking out finding an image of that set though.  I've yet to see the issue, or hear of someone having it.  I suspect it'll be a permanent addition to my want list, along with AOS 499 2nd.

Interesting.  I recall seeing an image of Adv of Superman 499 2nd print, but it was just a doctored image of an Adv of Superman 499 3rd print.

On 6/12/2018 at 4:44 AM, kenaran said:

Thanks for looking that over. :)

Here's the thing about these...there's been a concerted effort to locate and systematically identify these for about the past 10 years. All the books that are known today have been known for about the last 10 years. I think AOS #499 3rd and MOS #20 2nd were the last ones to be discovered. 

So, with a small, but very dedicated, group of people looking for these for such a period of time, combined with the resources of the internet, I can say with a decent measure of certainty that AOS #499 2nd doesn't exist. Because of the haphazard printing of these books by DC, someone just made the mistake of identifying the second printing as the third. They probably didn't have records...they just looked at what they had, or thought they'd already done, and the "third print" was born.

"But don't people discover books that no one thought existed still today?" Yes, but for the most part, those are books that few, if any, even suspected existed. In the case of AOS #499 2nd....many people have been looking, for many years, and yet....nothing. 

Does that mean it doesn't exist? No. Does that mean it will never be found if it does? No.

But the odds of it existing after such a search for years and years is now very, very low, and if they exist, if they were ever made, it's possible that they were never released. But that's starting on a big if.

It'll be exciting to see, though, as it is certainly implied, unlike any of the rest of the books.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Here are a few things that I accept today.

1) Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone, no conspiracy. 

2)  Climate Change is real

3) There is no Loch Ness Monster

4) There is no such thing as AOS #499 2nd printing.

As for Action #683 3rd printing, that would be an amazing find, but I don't think we'll see it. AC #683 2nd print in 9.8 is actually one of my dream books for my CGC Death and Return of Superman set! 

I too have never seen a Superman #82 2nd printing in the wild. When I saw it in the guide, I wasn't sure it really existed until I saw a pic.

Here is something interesting I found in the 2013 Death and Return of Superman Omnibus. 

IMG_5008.thumb.JPG.01847ef481f1631da8cbf66df254cfeb.JPG

A cover 'reproduction' of MOS #25

IMG_5009.thumb.JPG.0709f349bf0d8c0910badf9d4aff08e5.JPG

Notice the Roman Numeral?

However...

...the reproduction of MOS #19 in the same omnibus is incorrect.

IMG_5010.thumb.JPG.fd662d375b239810be3b2ae2e3549d20.JPG

The coloring of the title logo is wrong for the 2nd printing of MOS #19, the 2nd printing is title logo actually yellow and blue.

Spoiler

3113596_Full_Rev.thumb.jpg.01af5c4622c16d4a35503e3409997399.jpg

I wonder if there might have been plans for a MOS #25 2nd printing as it is the 'return' of Superman, but it didn't make it to print. Perhaps when the omnibus was compiled, all that was left was a template for MOS #25 2nd printing? Who knows, it would be cool to discover something like this, but it seems too good.

That is VERY interesting.  I'm sorry if I was mis-understood.  I wasn't saying that either Action 683 3rd or Adv 499 2nd exist.  Just that they'll always be on my want list (an actual 4x6 notebook as I find apps too slow).  Similar to the above image there is a DC produced cover image of Action 683 3rd on the back of a collectors set or TPB that I'm having trouble finding right now.  For a close up of said image just go to comicbookrealm which even claims 4 owners. 

Anyone know of another example outside of this storyline when a publisher used higher printing cover images like this? It's just weird. 

3 hours ago, kenaran said:

That is VERY interesting.  I'm sorry if I was mis-understood.  I wasn't saying that either Action 683 3rd or Adv 499 2nd exist.  Just that they'll always be on my want list (an actual 4x6 notebook as I find apps too slow).  Similar to the above image there is a DC produced cover image of Action 683 3rd on the back of a collectors set or TPB that I'm having trouble finding right now.  For a close up of said image just go to comicbookrealm which even claims 4 owners. 

Anyone know of another example outside of this storyline when a publisher used higher printing cover images like this? It's just weird. 

No need to apologize, I was just being cheeky. :hi:

Thanks for showing me comicbookrealm.

image.png.cf54f2f5ef078915b00994681e6b434d.png

Anyone else have a better image? 

Could this be faked? 

Image result for i want to believe

:jokealert:

6 hours ago, Brando- said:

Here are a few things that I accept today.

1) Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone, no conspiracy. 

2)  Climate Change is real

3) There is no Loch Ness Monster

4) There is no such thing as AOS #499 2nd printing.

As for Action #683 3rd printing, that would be an amazing find, but I don't think we'll see it. AC #683 2nd print in 9.8 is actually one of my dream books for my CGC Death and Return of Superman set! 

I too have never seen a Superman #82 2nd printing in the wild. When I saw it in the guide, I wasn't sure it really existed until I saw a pic.

Here is something interesting I found in the 2013 Death and Return of Superman Omnibus. 

A cover 'reproduction' of MOS #25

IMG_5009.thumb.JPG.0709f349bf0d8c0910badf9d4aff08e5.JPG

Notice the Roman Numeral?

However...

...the reproduction of MOS #19 in the same omnibus is incorrect.

The coloring of the title logo is wrong for the 2nd printing of MOS #19, the 2nd printing is title logo actually yellow and blue.

Reveal hidden contents

3113596_Full_Rev.thumb.jpg.01af5c4622c16d4a35503e3409997399.jpg

I wonder if there might have been plans for a MOS #25 2nd printing as it is the 'return' of Superman, but it didn't make it to print. Perhaps when the omnibus was compiled, all that was left was a template for MOS #25 2nd printing? Who knows, it would be cool to discover something like this, but it seems too good.

Great post... thanks.    A little off topic but in a similar vein, there was an image of Batman #420 that was produced for the "Ten Nights of the Beast" trade paperback.  The slightly different cover got into distribution as a stock image on ebay, which made some people think it really existed as a variant (it does not exist).   Newkadia uses this stock image on ebay.    It has a "newsstand" price box and a "direct sales" symbol in the UPC box.   Following is a photo of it from the trade paper back.

1308443448_batman420fromTPB.thumb.jpg.1555e50a4330b30a9e434d71abcbf6db.jpg