• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Death of Superman and Reign of Supermen - all issues and variants
13 13

404 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Dwitkin82 said:

Heres a biggy that just popped up on eBay!! 

Wow

C344E439-4DB5-47E5-84A5-73B97A1EF964.jpeg

That is very impressive.   Mine is high grade but I don't think it would get a 9.8.  I think this grade would have to be extremely rare, because the process of putting them in a 2-pack and then going to places like Toys-R-Us would have caused a few minor dings, at the very least.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:20 AM, kenaran said:

Speaking of MOS #20 2nd I just got this in the mail last night.  I should not have won the auction with what I bid, but that does happen from time to time. Technically my 2nd copy, it's actually in amazing condition, just a couple of minor spine ticks, only one color breaking (and barely at that).

IMG_4438.thumb.jpg.bf7fb40fb3875bfb4c2d2b76f392ebd9.jpg

Ah, I see Kenaran got a set in June.

On 7/15/2018 at 7:13 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

That is very impressive.   Mine is high grade but I don't think it would get a 9.8.  I think this grade would have to be extremely rare, because the process of putting them in a 2-pack and then going to places like Toys-R-Us would have caused a few minor dings, at the very least.

It was listed at $2,500, now it’s down to $500, and in auction style format.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

It was listed at $2,500, now it’s down to $500, and in auction style format.

Saw that and ironically was going to post it.....is there value here at $500 or are these books so "mehhh" that only a few really care?

2 hours ago, Dwitkin82 said:

Saw that and ironically was going to post it.....is there value here at $500 or are these books so "mehhh" that only a few really care?

It's one of the hardest of the later printings: Action #686 2, AOS #499 3, MOS #20 2. Which one is the rarest? Who knows, but it's a tossup between those three. Maybe MOS #20 2

It's the only 9.8 so far. 

It wasn't saved in any significant numbers (meaning, a rush of 9.8s will not happen [omg, presenting my "opinion" as fact!!]) There will be a trickle of other 9.8s over the years, but only a trickle.

Man of Steel #18 5th is the most common of the "rare" copies, and it STILL only has 24 copies on the census, despite me selling the first one 5 years ago for $300.

All things considered...$500 is a more than fair price for something like this, IF it really means something to you.

Personally, i would like to buy it, but I think I can squeeze a 9.8 out of one of the two I have. Maybe. We'll see.

But a complete 9.8 set of all printings? That would be something special.

This set is already special. This, the DCUs, the Knightfall set....these are fascinating, interesting books, with a fascinating, interesting story. The idea that these sat, unloved and unwanted, the mainest of mainstream titles, scorned and neglected as "reprints, ewww!" for DECADES...meaning they ended up behaving like Golden Age books, which were discarded without care, rather than being carefully bagged and boarded and preserved...right under the nose of collected fandom...fascinates me to no end.

It's not a gigantic set...only, what, 25 different books, including all printings?...and its back story just makes it such a thrill. 

Hell, I've almost convinced myself.

Like I said: the likelihood of others popping up is low. The sting of price fades; the bitterness of frustration never ends.

So...that's my take on it, for whatever that's worth to you. I think these are awesome. I love that the 90s produced, in the massive ocean of garbage, these tiny little gems all over the place...the Maxx ashcans, the 2nd print newsstands, the DOS/Knightfall reprints, the rare indies...love, love, love them. 

The AOS #499 3rd 9.8 is impressive. I know this is a different animal but I cannot help but think of the Man of Steel #18 5th print and MoS #17 2nd printings. Several years ago when MoS #18 was hot it was all about the “rare” 5th print. For the longest time, there were less than 5 9.8s in the census. Slowly the census numbers grew for the 5th print and 9.8s and prices cooled considerably. Today there are 24 universal 9.8 MoS 18 5th prints listed. While not a big number, it’s enough to see them one eBay and ComicLink often enough, making them to appear fairly common (depending on perspective). I think a few MOS #18 5th printings went for over $500, if memory serves me correctly, now if you’re patient you could get a 9.8 for $250 or less.

MOS #17 2nd had 0 9.8s in the census when the MOF #18 craze began to peek years ago and was talked about as being rare. I bought the first copy of #17 2nd to make 9.8. It was expensive but I really thought about it before I pulled the trigger. Today there are 27 universal 9.8s for #17 2nd print, also not a big number, but one can be had for way less than what I paid for my 9.8 years ago. Again, these two books are not as rare as that 499 3rd. In short, I bet if I bought it then other 9.8s would appear later on for lower prices, but if I didn’t then I’d never see another 9.8 for sale ever again. Just my thought. I also no longer have the MOS #17 2nd print.

Edited by Brandon Shepherd

1 hour ago, Dwitkin82 said:

Theres also a AC686 2nd print CGC 9.4 on eBay for $399 obo

That one is quite aggressively priced, even though one sold in Jan for that price.

Grade for grade, that sale is probably the highest price paid for any DOS issue, barring the #75 Plat. 

(In other words, a 9.6 and 9.8 should be exponentially more valuable, but these are so rare, they tend to behave like GA books, rather than Copper or Modern.)

On 9/1/2018 at 9:41 AM, Dwitkin82 said:

I mean you don't need 2 of those 499's........share the wealth please....

I bought those three 2-packs you see in posting above.  I'm going to sell the Spare 499 pack starting tonight on ebay.   If someone is willing to offer one hundred bucks for it as firends/family sale, I would be willing to cancel the auction.  

7 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

I bought those three 2-packs you see in posting above.  I'm going to sell the Spare 499 pack starting tonight on ebay.   If someone is willing to offer one hundred bucks for it as firends/family sale, I would be willing to cancel the auction.  

Ughhhh I wish I could....whats the overall grade/condition? 

7 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Paying with "friends and family" for merchandise is against the terms of use for Paypal, and this board's rules, as well. If we want the convenience of using Paypal, we need to suck it up and pay what they require to use their services.

8 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Paying with "friends and family" for merchandise is against the terms of use for Paypal, and this board's rules, as well. If we want the convenience of using Paypal, we need to suck it up and pay what they require to use their services.

uh oh... another rookie mistake on my part.  Thanks for clueing me in. Sorry about that!