• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Death of Superman and Reign of Supermen - all issues and variants
13 13

404 posts in this topic

My experience on the difficult ones was that they seem to come in waves on ebay (where I found most of them).  I'm not talking about one high sale driving more people to sell either (though that does happen too).  I've noticed that with a number of other issues I just couldn't find for years sometimes, then inside of a month there's several.

Hidden auctions do happen with these if you have the time to search for it.  I got my Action 686 2nd in a BIN bulk lot about an hour after it was posted (I got lucky on that one).  Then this happened.....but that's not part of this set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/superman-the-wedding-album-special-embossed-edition-numbered-/401592362895?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%2BNwIPHuemCa3AB0xrq2Q5d%2Bf2xI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I've been after that for a VERY long time :cloud9:, always out of reach.

13 hours ago, kenaran said:

My experience on the difficult ones was that they seem to come in waves on ebay (where I found most of them).  I'm not talking about one high sale driving more people to sell either (though that does happen too).  I've noticed that with a number of other issues I just couldn't find for years sometimes, then inside of a month there's several.

Hidden auctions do happen with these if you have the time to search for it.  I got my Action 686 2nd in a BIN bulk lot about an hour after it was posted (I got lucky on that one).  Then this happened.....but that's not part of this set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/superman-the-wedding-album-special-embossed-edition-numbered-/401592362895?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%2BNwIPHuemCa3AB0xrq2Q5d%2Bf2xI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I've been after that for a VERY long time :cloud9:, always out of reach.

Holy cow... $10!   Congrats.   Ebay is truly unpredictable.   

That's actually the gold foil RRP version, correct me if I'm wrong, but possibly the very first RRP (may even be where the 'RRP' abbreviation comes from as it's printed on the back cover).  The one I got isn't exactly a CGC candidate, but the front cover looks great, and I'm very happy with it.

Like most variants, I've found that the DF's just don't hold their value, unless the stars are aligned just so.  I generally see 1-2 a year at HPB, sometimes even for $0.25.

Back on topic, there are also pretty wild price swings on the DOS set.  Usually on one of the DCU higher printings.  It'll just be HOT for a little bit, then another one will get HOT.

4 hours ago, Warlord said:

I'm not seeing a difference...?  Do tell!

Looks pretty much like this version without the external wrap... (shrug)

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.583e7298a45dcb5585567f894f63e5c4.jpg

I will have to go through and check to see if there is a way to distinguish between original and where someone removed the cover as well as dig through my sealed packs. Pretty sure this was found in both 20 packs and I am sure I have a 3 pack with the non black wrapped JLA 71 with the JLA barcode, which would be a variant. Some of those distributed in multi packs have different indica on inside cover stating the came from collector packs  also why the removed barcodes. Some also had different ads inside the book ( not sure if that applies to this one in particular , but will check) I am sure there have been those who may have removed the cover as so many did with Treasury Editions of Action , but this is one that doesn't really hold a lot of value so I do not see that being a lot of them. Know this pack isn't the JLA we are talking about but shows an example. I will dig through and get back to you with more details weather I find differences between the two and pictures of the right pack.

IMG_20190405_225901564~2.jpg

I see what you're thinking - yes, Kirk and others have identified some DC issues where the front cover is the same but there's a different notation in the indicia, of the back cover ads are different, etc.   So you might find a distinction in your close examination.   I hope you do, please let us know!

On 4/6/2019 at 1:19 AM, Warlord said:

I see what you're thinking - yes, Kirk and others have identified some DC issues where the front cover is the same but there's a different notation in the indicia, of the back cover ads are different, etc.   So you might find a distinction in your close examination.   I hope you do, please let us know!

After searching through my sealed packs and closer inspection of the raw copies and indica. You and Kirk are correct. The raws I have appear to have black wrap removed and nothing stating or suggesting another print. I also did not have a package containing a 71. 

On 4/15/2019 at 8:38 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

After searching through my sealed packs and closer inspection of the raw copies and indica. You and Kirk are correct. The raws I have appear to have black wrap removed and nothing stating or suggesting another print. I also did not have a package containing a 71. 

In the interest of the "science" of variants, I opened the 20-pack brick from Feb 1993.   It contains a black-wrapped JLA 71 and it is identical to the black-wrapped Direct-sales first print JLA 71 that came out in the comic book shops.    This is consistent the other 19 issues in that pack, all of which are Direct sales, 1st print issues.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

22 minutes ago, Dwitkin82 said:

Adv.of Superman #499 3rd print CGC 9.4 sold on eBay for $120......I bowed out at $80.......I know I'm weak

Thanks for sharing.  At 9.4, the $120 price was pretty reasonable.   I have a spare that is probably VF or better.   If anyone really needs one, feel free to send me PM.  

On 4/29/2019 at 9:35 PM, Dwitkin82 said:

@Cpt Kirk there is a 9.8 with a $1000 asking price....eshhh

Today and new record for these. That book sold with best offer. Filtering by sold highest to lowest it sold about the $800 mark plus shipping. 

Screenshot_20190502-150417~2.png