• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Death of Superman and Reign of Supermen - all issues and variants
13 13

404 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Dwitkin82 said:

7 hours ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

My post right before yours shows a screenshot. It sold via best offer. And when I sorted by sold high to low it fell between $815-$825. By this the best offer would have been roughly $800 + shipping. 

16 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

My post right before yours shows a screenshot. It sold via best offer. And when I sorted by sold high to low it fell between $815-$825. By this the best offer would have been roughly $800 + shipping. 

Some time last year the seller listed the book in an auction format, with a starting bid of $500. I was watching it and the seller canceled the auction a day or two before closing. There were no bids, I was interested but I thought the price was still high. I was thinking $400. 

18 minutes ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

Some time last year the seller listed the book in an auction format, with a starting bid of $500. I was watching it and the seller canceled the auction a day or two before closing. There were no bids, I was interested but I thought the price was still high. I was thinking $400. 

Guess who ever won the first with the $800 offer must have flaked as it showed as sold. Then he must have relisted. Which unfortunately  has become too common place recently on eBay.

2 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Thanks to onlyweaknesskryptonite, we now know of at least 2 stickered first printings of Superman 75.  

IMG_0925.jpg.9a7094f50ecad385588b86dc1c946095.jpg

IMG_0926.thumb.jpg.d70e0595c3984557b80ed9543b17f191.jpg

Kirk,

You are welcome. I am glad I could help .  Awesome set 👍.

12 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Since this comic book took the world by storm, I'm guessing the publisher placed these stickers on some copies to meet demand at newsstands. 

hm

I don't know. 

If I had to guess, I'd say these weren't copies bound for newsstands, but book sellers. Newsstands were still, in most cases, 2 weeks behind the Direct market at this time, but I don't know how the chaos disrupted the distribution streams for this book.

Consider: if they were placing stickers on first prints at Quebecor, on orders from DC...why would they then put stickers on the 2nd prints as well, rather than just printing UPCs for the 2nds, as they did with the 3rds and 4ths...?

Lotsa mystery swirls around this book.

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

hm

I don't know. 

If I had to guess, I'd say these weren't copies bound for newsstands, but book sellers. Newsstands were still, in most cases, 2 weeks behind the Direct market at this time, but I don't know how the chaos disrupted the distribution streams for this book.

Consider: if they were placing stickers on first prints at Quebecor, on orders from DC...why would they then put stickers on the 2nd prints as well, rather than just printing UPCs for the 2nds, as they did with the 3rds and 4ths...?

Lotsa mystery swirls around this book.

For sure!   Thanks for weighing in Rock.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

8 minutes ago, Dwitkin82 said:

@Cpt Kirk and @Brandon Shepherdrefresh my memory..the MOS 20, AC686 and Adv 499 3rd all came from what pack?

Were these in the Funeral Collectors pack? 

Those DCU's all came from two-packs, some of which can be seen on the "Comprehensive List of DC Universe Variants" thread by Revat.    I've never seen those rare Death of Superman DCU's appear in any other packs.  Finding those two-packs is a rare experience.

8 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Those DCU's all came from two-packs, some of which can be seen on the "Comprehensive List of DC Universe Variants" thread by Revat.    I've never seen those rare Death of Superman DCU's appear in any other packs.  Finding those two-packs is a rare experience.

You still have a spare 499?

Note that the stickering of bar codes on direct sales books for newsstand distribution happened on at least one other book that I can find - Earthworm Jim. These are not mine, but I have a set where its like this as well - see the #1.

s-l1600.jpg